Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fuzzy's Thoughts on Fear

I have a few thoughts on the subject of fear. Firstly we are only born with two natural fears, the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. So if we take that at face value, all other fear is learned behavior and most of that learning is done during our formative years through observation of those around us or personal experience.

So if we look at anxiety, panic attacks, and the like that are currently medicated and treated as a disease I see them as an education problem. The only way to correct an educational deficiency is to re-educate ourselves, to identify the cause of the fear, isolate it, and attack it.

As an instructor, father, son, friend, and man, I have a responsibility demonstrate the proper way to handle that fear, to flow with it rather than fight it, to laugh at it rather than run from it, to accept it and not let it affect me in any way. I take that responsibility because humans learn from observation and exposure.
    For example when I was young I was scared of heights. I made the conscious decision to re-educate myself by taking action about it, I would climb to the top of our silos, I rappelled, I bungeed, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, and did zip lines to rid myself of that fear. Now I can walk a 3.5” wall 4 stories up with no safety gear without even thinking about it, bam re-educated.

Needles, hate them. I used to get nervous about the whole process leading up to getting stuck. How did I get over that? Well, every time I get stuck I watch, I took TCCC and Combat Lifesaver, I started Ivs on myself, I’ve stitched my own wounds, bam re-educated.

Cause – Effect/Affect, expose yourself to what you fear and it’s just like any other part of a body, skin gets calloused, purpose gets solidified, muscles get stronger, immune systems can handle more, and fear….. well, fear goes away.

#thinkinginviolence
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 10-13-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Yes!! Stress Inoculation is the vogue term for it; back in the day they called it face your fears......Either way it is a critical element missing from most peoples training programs.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

great post Greg

Indeed. I regret to say that it took me the better part of thirty years to learn some aspects of what you wrote. Other aspects, I challenged head on without conscious thought. Fear of heights and fear of water are two that come to mind. I took up rock climbing, skydived, and have spent a lot of time underwater in my life, even going so far as to go to commercial diving school.

Great post!
    Last edited by JPourciau; 06-18-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Fortes fortuna adiuvat...

As a kid I was afraid of heights. Solution, I taught myself rapelling.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by mtmongeon View Post
    I think too you can inherit so things from your parents too. For example, my mother worries about every little detail in life and what others would think of what ever she would do or say. And growing up as a child i had those same traits. You didn't inherit crap, she taught it to you during your formative years

Feared what others would think of me if i messed up in some way. How did i over come it by well, first it was when i came to know my LORD JESUS CHRIST and learning that i can do all things through Christ that strengthens you. Focusing on HIM just as Peter first did in the huge storm when they were on the lake and JESUS came to them walking on the water. Peter ask to met JESUS on the water and he told Peter to come. Peter stepped out in faith and started to walk on the water as he kept his focus on CHRIST but as soon as Peter took his eyes off of JESUS and looked at the storm and fear entered into his heart is when he sank into the water and Peter cried out to JESUS to save him. JESUS did but ask Peter a question "Why to you doubt?" So, it is through CHRIST i started to go and witness to people about the LORD's free gift of eternal life and that we are only saved through what he did for us on the cross and when HE rose from the dead so that we may have eternal life if we just place our faith in HIM. So, now i get people mocking me insulting me and i don't worry about it for i know it is in GOD's control and HE has a plan. So, my fear has been struck down by the LORD's sword. I disagree, you "re-educated" yourself that your cause and purpose was more important than your fear

And I also know if and when the time comes that i would be martyred for the sake of the name of JESUS CHRIST i will not fear for i will have HIS reward and there is nothing on this earth that can compare to HIM. But, there will be other people calling themselves Christians and say they follow CHRIST where they will turn away from HIM due to fear of persecution. So, everyone needs to examine themselves.
    Christian is my faith, strength is my religion
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

First let me state clearly that I am Christian and I have firm faith in my God. I know that he has saved me, in a variety of ways (both spiritually, obviously, and physically in ways large and small). I give the Lord credit, honor and thanks in more ways than I can count.

However, I do not believe in this idea that God gets credit for each choice that I make and for every thing I have accomplished. If that were the case, then we would be nothing. (And yes, again to be clear, COMPARED to God we are nothing...but God put us here for a reason, so I do not believe we are nothing to HIM.) God gives us CHOICES. He gives us OPPORTUNITIES.

But it is up to US to make the most of those. I do not think for one second it is blasphemous for us to take some credit for good choices we have made. I thing God roots for us, and smiles upon us when we have chosen well. I think He helps us even when we've made poor choices...but we should not feel guilty for taking a little credit for ourselves. I don't think He thinks that way. God not only has wisdom beyond what we can comprehend, but I also think he has some basic frickin' common sense.

If we are to get no credit for our good choices, then we are to get no demerit for our poor choices. That would mean that we really HAVE NO CHOICE, and I don't believe God set it up that way.

Not everything is about religion. Putting God first is one thing, but jeez guys. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Ok maybe mixing that metaphor was blasphemous but you get my point.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

You're fine Brent. Sometimes we can get so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

One of my favorite quotes (no idea who gets credit):

"I fear no man, and only one woman"

Be humble of character, warm of heart and kind. You will know when it's time to flip the switch and unleash the beast.

CAUTION: You can't fix stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    If we are to get no credit for our good choices, then we are to get no demerit for our poor choices. That would mean that we really HAVE NO CHOICE, and I don't believe God set it up that way.
    Totally agree, though now we are in a free will vs fate/predestination debate, when we were discussing how to overcome fears.

(Coincidentally, perhaps there is a fear of personal accountability here. I recommend re-education by taking credit for good choices. )

Predestination may be real, but I can't be aware of it. Seeing how God gave me the ability to think critically when animals cannot, I'm going to go out in a limb here and say that my choices matter.

And about the blasphemous cigar ... C.S. Lewis said (couldn't dig up the precise quote) ~ every word man utters about God borders on blasphemy.

For a lame (and likely blasphemous) attempt to put the thread back on topic... To quote Sphinx from Mystery Men (1999 lame comedy that I haven't seen in a decade): "You must master your fears, or else your fears will be your master."
    Last edited by WinstonSmith; 06-18-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO