Default AAR: Guerilla Sniper I w/ Jon Payne, Jasper, TX

What a way to start my 1st SI 2014 class. Given the various medical issues of late, this was one I couldn't afford to miss. Many thanks for Jon for teaching this class, always exceeding expectations. Much appreciation to Cullen for being the very generous host, especially for the overnight invite to stay at his place. And what a surprise to have Ken there as well. You can always count of him, always observing and then providing those finite details that make you ponder beyond wonder that the little things can make the difference. These 3 together, bringing all that experience , knowledge, and support made this class beyond the compliments my words can express.

This curriculum took my limited experience with the AR hitting targets out to 500 yards in 2 days time. I never thought that would happen about 4 years ago when I first started out with S.I. Then to top it off where the various other AR's in the class, especially to witnessed a suppressed AR hitting out to 500 yards. While I am not there yet, to have a father and sons team there showed the joys of fatherhood of things to come. (in about 5-6 years) Learned alot from my classmates ( previous and new faces).

I used my AR Sig516 with 1-4 GRSC scope. This was the 1st class that this rifle was used for the entire time. I'm mainly a AK/Sig556R guy, but I wanted to find out first hand how far I could take my AR. It ran, like a champ. Eat everything I feed it from cheap wolf steel, zinc, and brass. I did had one hiccup, but that was the mag. Once switched out, everything was smooth as silk. The Atlas bipod is a new addition. On the bench, it was fine. In the field, it shined with its QD capability and the ability to have its legs and extensions at various angles and lengths. Perhaps the only grip I have about it is how slow it was when deploying it vs the Harris. Ken reminded me that with practice, I should get faster. My software needs more work for sure. A good thing about taking this class is learning the limitations and disadvantages of your gear. My sling is one area that needs upgrading, its placement too. Also the importance of a match vs stock trigger, the barrel manufacturer and its twist rate, barrel harmonics and the various influences upon it vs a free floating barrel, floating the barrel, and a quality scope. Sure, the 1-4 scope I had did the job; but higher magnification would have been nice especially for target identification. Then the BDC vs mildot reticle is a interesting area that I need more exploring. I found myself measuring distances around my home as homework.

If I missed anything, I'm sure my classmates will fill it in and with pics too. Great training with ya'll. When is the next GS class ? Count me in !
    Last edited by golucky; 06-09-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    IDR 10/16/10, IDP 1/8/11, FRS 2/5/11, KRG 3/19/11, AKRG 4/2/11, TMCO 6/4/11, CRG 7/9/11, ACRG 11/12-13/11, VGFF 3/3/12, ATM 4/21 - 4/22/12, GA - 5/4/12, LGPSP 05/26 - 5/27/12, 0-5Ft 6/09 - 6/10/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, PSP 4/6 - 4/7/13, FRS 9/7-9/8/13, ATM 10/26-10/2713, ACRG 11/9 - 11/10/13, GS1 6/7-6/8/14, RGF-3 10/11-10/12/14, RGF4AK: 6/27-6/28/15, Fusing Knife / Pistol: 7/17-7/18/15, HITTS 5 Shotgun 8/2/15, CRG3: 4/2-4-3/16, HRO2 & CQB 9/30 - 10/2/16, RDS Pistol 2/17 - 2/19/17

It was a full class and a great time! Some just learned to be a better rifleman and others learned that and how to be a better fisherman lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

This was an awesome class. As Always great instruction and direction. Thank you Jon, Cullen and Ken for all of the help and education. Cullen thank you for your hospitality and generosity.

Not only did I learn a lot in this class I developed better skills and marksmanship. I will be updating my AR components and Optics to help improve my long distant shooting. I look forward to the next Suarez Class and as always recommend anyone wanting to better themselves take one of these class.

JT

Once again another great class with Jon. As golucky stated we had a gr
    eat turn out and everyone got plenty of trigger time. Once again getting to see the strong and weak points of rifle/optics setups and areas for improvement really helps with getting your gear dialed in. Also getting to try different rifles, optics and triggers and how they can help your long range shooting was great. Thanks to Ken for all his help and instruction and helping me get the most out my rifle. I was a little hesitant about using m Burris MTAC 1-4 power scope but I was able to use it out to 500 yds. Also many thanks to Cullen for letting us train on his beautiful farm and being such a gracious host.
    Juan Cuellar
    SI Profile: DPS 9/2010, CRG 10/2010, DR 10/2010, PSP 11/2010, KRG 3/2011, ARG 4/2011, CRG 5/2011, FOF 5/2011, ACRG 11/2011, PSP 2/2012, APSP 2/2012
    VGF 3/2012, Glock Armorer 5/2012, 0-5 PG 6/2012, ACPM 8/2012, RG 9/2013, ATM 10/2013, CRG 0-5 FT. 3/2014, CPIS 5/2014, GS 6/2014, ARG 10/2014

Because of the response and participation in this class I've begun to collaborate with John Chambers. We're bringing the 3 day Guerrilla Sniper course to the Orange Gun Club early May of 2015.

Jon Payne

1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Awesome ! Count me in !

I was very disappointed to miss this one, so I'd definitely be up for one next spring!
    Christian, Paramedic, Leader, Texan.

Good deal. We will make it an event not to be missed.

Jon Payne

1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone