Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Had a great time in rifle class tonight!!

Thanks to everyone who came down, what a fun couple of hours of training!

And thanks of course to my partner in crime, Ted Demosthenes. Ted is such a wealth of knowledge on so many subjects, I learn something every time I talk to him. And that guy is in shape! I won't share his age, but I challenge everyone to be able to perform such a perfect squatting squatting position with the rifle. I haven't done much rifle stuff with Ted so I think this is the first time I've seen him do rice-paddy prone...Excellent stuff!!

I had some last minute cancellations so we ended up having WAY more hardware on hand than necessary, but it was a good opportunity for everyone to try different platforms. There were some AR recces and some AR pistols, an FS2000, an AUG, a few AKs, Sig 556s, an UZI and a Storm. And Ed brought down a really cool Mini-14...I had forgotten about those folding steel stocks that they had for awhile, so that was great fun to play with.

There's only so much you can do in a couple hours, but we did quite a bit of ambidextrous work, mag changes, positional shooting, drills to build up movement and rifle handling capability, and transition to secondary weapons. For a couple hours I think we covered quite a bit, and proved once again that the rifle is a physical weapon. Good conditioning and flexibility REALLY pay off with the rifle.

Looking forward to next time...
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I had a great time too, and learned several rifle techniques to work on. Big thanks to Brent and Ted!

Rifle warmup class, NWMA dojo, Bothell, WA 31 May. Jamison, Ted, Ed, Ryan, Dan, and Brent. The NWMA dojo is a great environment for dry practice- big mirrored wall, very nicely crafted Japanese design training space.
    untitled-7144.jpg

Training tools. We shared, discussed, and practiced with a wide cross-section of gear, rifles and PDWs.
    untitled-7122.jpg
    untitled-7123.jpg
    untitled-7124.jpg
    untitled-7125.jpg
    untitled-7119.jpg
    Mini-14 with factory folding stock:
    untitled-7109.jpg
    Manipulating different rifles: Dan, Ryan, Jamison, and Ed
    untitled-7133.jpguntitled-7140.jpg

Moving while operating familiar and not so familiar weapons. Walkin', loadin', unloadin' and talkin'...
    untitled-7142.jpg
    untitled-7141.jpg

Different positions- everyone got a great workout as part of the class! Glad we had the tatami mats for comfort.
    untitled-7149.jpguntitled-7145.jpg
    untitled-7156.jpguntitled-7157.jpguntitled-7158.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 06-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Looks like a new sneakybag in attendance.

Nice barefoot work!
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Looks like a new sneakybag in attendance.

Nice barefoot work!
    Indeed. My "old" sneaky bags don't look like that lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Looks awesome. I think there is great value in this. I have a new outlook on things you can work on with dry classes after Iowa CQB .
    NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPITH, Chief Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Certified Armorer
    Smith & Wesson Certified Armorer

The other factor is the ABGO - "Average Bubba Gun Owner". These guys were of course born with the ability to fight, f***, drive, and shoot, without any training, and since they are (Insert Favorite State Here) By God, need no training....besides...training is expensive and beer is on sale at Walmart. - Gabe

TWOTU Since April 2014

HRO 6/7
    CRG-2
    TASI

Quote Originally Posted by Roadfoolsride View Post
    Looks awesome. I think there is great value in this. I have a new outlook on things you can work on with dry classes after Iowa CQB .
    I think I first heard something to that effect from Sonny Puzikas. He mentioned that a large amount (80+%?) of the Spetsnaz training was dry manipulations. Of course, I've heard that echoed here many times over the years as well. It doesn't have to go "bang" to be training.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Ted, your photography is impressive! Great pics.

Did you use a filter, or photoshop of some sort?

Excellent post and photos, thanks for sharing. Good ideas for us up here in Minnesota, where outdoor ranges that allow dynamic movement are covered by snow for ~6 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by WarGoat View Post
    Excellent post and photos, thanks for sharing. Good ideas for us up here in Minnesota, where outdoor ranges that allow dynamic movement are covered by snow for ~6 months out of the year.
    I'm a huge believer in doing short, focused dry-only classes. It allows the student to really focus on the skills rather than being distracted with live fire, safety issues, etc.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas