Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR advice

Default AR advice

Hey guys what with my new job and decent money coming in decided i needed to up my ammo stockpile and maybe some new guns because having a spare ar or glock never hurts. Was looking at a barret rec7 di for like 1600 at my local gunshop, came with tac lite sites and a couple spare mags. Worth it? I've got like no experience but I can't recall ever hearing a negative about anything else barrett makes and was considering it or a new daniel defense. My other thought was a springfield saint and an upper but again no experience with the saint. All my ars have been bcm/colt/or franken gun.
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

The Saint is crap. BCM and Colt are tested and true. I'd have to look at the Barret, but I haven't heard anything either way. Even Daniel Defense can be spotty. Knights, BCM, SIONICS, SOLGW, Centurion, Colt... these makers can tell you down to the extractor spring the what and why of the gun. Sadly, MOST manufacturers can't even make milspec. Do you have specific wants or requirements?
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Was mainly just looking for a reliable ar as a second to the colt i've got. Mainly i wanted one from a reliable manufacture why i was primarily looking at colt/bcm/dd in the store have experience with those and don't feel too bad. Free floated out the gate would be nice so i don't have to either replace the handguard and gas block or buy a new upper considering i intend to put a variable power optic on this rifle.
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

BL man has given you good advice. You don’t need to spend all your money on an expensive DI gun when you can spend on training and more ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is for LMT. They are a ISO9001 operation, test fire everything, and are a actual manufacture, as in they make their own parts and parts for many many other brands whom simply are just assembly plants.
    I've heard the newer Colts qc has slipped. Other than LMT, BCM and Daniel Defense are the only other brands I personally would consider. But I've heard good things about LaRue and Barret, just never handled one or know anyone who has.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

I have BCMs, a LMT, and a La Rue. All are rock solid.

My BCM is solid and accurate, they’d get my vote.

I also have a PSA pistol I bought as a toy (ie. not for serious work) that has turned out to be accurate and reliable. I wouldn’t recommend a PSA as an intentional serious buy, but they prove that at this point it’s hard to screw up an AR build and if you can put several thousand rounds thru one without issue, why not?

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

I know there is a new FN series that should be pretty good. And with the detail and precision that Geissele is known for, their new line should be good.

For the level of quality parts, proper build, and quality control, look to spend around $1200 for a quality duty grade rifle. That said, some can charge $1200 and still not give you a quality duty grade rifle because they didn't go through the same process. Sometimes it's the small things.

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    The Saint is crap. BCM and Colt are tested and true. I'd have to look at the Barret, but I haven't heard anything either way. Even Daniel Defense can be spotty. Knights, BCM, SIONICS, SOLGW, Centurion, Colt... these makers can tell you down to the extractor spring the what and why of the gun. Sadly, MOST manufacturers can't even make milspec. Do you have specific wants or requirements?
    Okay, gotta ask: Why saith the Saint is crap? Personal experience or something you heard?

Not picking a fight, just want to know. I've a Colt 6940 upper on an LMT lower and an older Armalite that I'm refitting with a Faxon pencil thin barrel. Only a few thousand rounds through them, but so far, so good. I don't frequent the AR and M4 forums anymore, but I do have a couple of friends who have DD rifles and Saints and they like them.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Okay, gotta ask: Why saith the Saint is crap? Personal experience or something you heard?

Not picking a fight, just want to know. I've a Colt 6940 upper on an LMT lower and an older Armalite that I'm refitting with a Faxon pencil thin barrel. Only a few thousand rounds through them, but so far, so good. I don't frequent the AR and M4 forums anymore, but I do have a couple of friends who have DD rifles and Saints and they like them.
    Heard nothing good about them at the armorers course, from instructor and students. Shoddy workmanship is basically what it comes down too. The same for Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, Olympic, and more. These companies cut corners to make profit. Even some issues with DD. If the gun does not meet milspec, why not? You see a lot of milspec parts, but are they put together according to milspec?

TWOTU since 2016