Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    My concern about a warning shot is that:

1) The BGs know I have a gun and I've lost the element of surprise.
    2) The shot may have hit the wrong person and the mob is even more incensed.
    2) The BGs think I'm pulling out a gun to try to shoot them, so they will send shots my way.

Consequently, I think if fleeing is not an option and if a gun is pulled out, it should be used with the intent to kill the perceived BGs.

I have seen warning shots work as an effective tool a few times, but readily admit that the range of usefulness for this tool is extremely limited.

in a number of very rural areas I have lived in someone who is known to take a shot at someone messing around his place is much more likely to be left alone than someone who is not known to do such things.

Folks looking to poach, steal fuel, mess with equipment ect. may not be worth the trouble of killing them (at least right now), but may go elsewhere after a message goes wizzing by their ear.

Yes very limited use, but in rural areas it is many times better than shooting someone whose family you will have to do business with later or live close to for years and many times it will produce the outcome you are looking for.

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I like the idea of having a smoke grenade or bean bag round, or flash bang to help defuse the situation or to help break contact.... However I have not actively shopped for them and thought that they were mostly restricted to LE and military.... Does anyone know where we (as civilians) can acquire such items ???
    HONOR
    all else

Quote Originally Posted by duey1267 View Post
    IDoes anyone know where we (as civilians) can acquire such items ???
    google recommends:

https://www.google.com/#q=pull+ring+smoke+grenade

Interesting read. Thanks for starting it. Got me thinking I could find a place on my belt for a smokey easily. Don't really see me in a position to need it, but haven't tactically needed my flashlight yet either. Some of the other items, not so much. Love the idea of the launcher just for the wow factor, but if I'm walking down the street with a shotgun, I'm probably not going to end up needing it anyway. Or, I'd rather be walking that street with a carbine than the shotgun. I could see the possible value of a warning shot in a rural area with known background. But in suburbia, I'd save the round. Got pistol, got spare mags, got knife, got flashlight, hmmmm get smoke. For my AO, that should cover most needs. SA to spot problems developing and exit early is my #1 defense. Anything else is to fix my screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by duey1267 View Post
    I like the idea of having a smoke grenade or bean bag round, or flash bang to help defuse the situation or to help break contact.... However I have not actively shopped for them and thought that they were mostly restricted to LE and military.... Does anyone know where we (as civilians) can acquire such items ???
    Both smoke grenades and OC/CS grenades are around and can be found without great difficulty. Bean bag rounds and other less-lethal munitions are a bit more difficult to source, but they are obtainable. They often linger on the back shelf at gun shops, because few people even want them. So if you don't spot them anywhere, just ask. Flashbangs are restricted. You won't be able to get those without a destructive device SOT and a lot of money.
    Virtute et Armis

Less lethal toys at www.ammunitiontogo.com.

I haven't gotten a chance to read old posts to get a sense of the general opinion here of visible lasers, but...

I have heard soldiers talking about how useful visible lasers were when manning road blocks, for example. It's one thing to point a rifle at somebody not slowing down--it's quite another to put a bright red dot on their chest to make it clear you mean business.

Could the described scenario here be a good application for a visible laser as a better way to communicate "stay away from me, I'm armed" than the generally ill-advised warning shot?

Interesting how parents can continue to show you things you never thought of. Until my mom had a glock next to her bed she kept a can of hornet killer. Big can, high volume 40 foot stream and I don't think I would want to try a face full of it.

Some of the firework type projo's from a 37mm flare launcher or any number of flares in general (maritime rocket flares come to mind) would work unless you had a flammable environment like a yard of pine straw. Personally, I don't know anyone who wants a rocket of any form shot at them.

A warning shot of rubber buckshot or a rubber slug (both readily available) judiciously applied to the crowd would work pretty well. This also makes a case to keep a single shot shotgun around... No worries about what's in the mag tube.

Now, there are other ideas but those are probably best left in the unwritten realm. :-)

Sent from my RCT6077W2 using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

When every instant counts, help is only minutes away...

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam"