Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TARGET IDENTIFICATION

Go to a traditional gun class, usually taught by a former cop and you will get a lecture on target identification. Then it is usually capped of with something like, "There is a lawyer attached to every bullet". Well...there is a mortician attached to every bullet fired by the other guy isn't there. Let me put it into a greater perspective.

If I gave you $50K and told you that you needed to spend it on a lawyer to keep you out of jail, or on a doctor to make you right again...which would you pick? More normal humans would pick the lawyer, because who the hell wants to look like Reginald Denny. But Gabe...what if it goes wrong and the money is spent for naught? Well...then you get to workout everyday, eat right (mostly), and devise new ways and contacts to make a living. Unless you look like Justin Beiver, its not that bad. Take my word for it. If you are a man, and act like a man, you get treated like a man.

So in the end it is about whether you are willing to kill that figure that seems like a bad guy in the shadows...and if you are wrong go to jail for a while....or err on the side of discretion and risk being Reginald Denny. Not a hard choice when you look at Denny.

But back to the point...identification.

If you live alone and you see a Freddy Kruger shadow at he end of the hallway, Freddy should be shot, and there is no need to identify any further. If you live with family and all members are three and four feet tall and that shadow is six feet tall...do I really need to explain ow that guy is not a family member? If either one of those shadows begin shooting at you, do you need anymore ID before shooting back?

Come on guys...winning he fight is first, and winning he fight requires minimal identification of threat.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

there is a mortician attached to every bullet fired by the other guy isn't there
    Wow! That's a powerful image that sets the right balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    If you live with family and all members are three and four feet tall and that shadow is six feet tall...do I really need to explain ow that guy is not a family member?
    One reason it's great to have a dog. Even a tiny dog will bark to let you know something's not right.

Im always amazed by the out of balance views spouted on this subject. Of course you have to defend yourself and yes you are responsible for every round, the thing is you (and the ones you care about) have to be alive in order to worry about a bad shoot and misses.

Yeah you have to make reasonable decisions before you shoot and then you have to decide if youre able to articulate the events so that it seems reasonable to others. Of course you were scared THATS part of the deal, you shot BECAUSE you were afraid for your safety and the safety of those you care about.

The real question should be What if you dont shoot? Can you live with THAT decision?

Lemme chime in on this subject AGAIN. Civil liability should be a non starter concern for self defense. Period, end of story. FINI

Let me make my point:

Remember that once you get past the criminal defense phase. If you are sued by wounded home intruder or his surviving baby momma and illegitimate off spring, ( I know stereotypes are bad, I am ashamed, really.) Most Chapter 7 bankruptcy's run about $1500. Even if you have assets, see the bankruptcy guy, about a 13 or an 11.

I spend all my time hearing lies and excuses that end in bankruptcy for $1000.00 in unpaid medical bills or less, THAT's RIGHT - LESS than $1000 and they file bankruptcy and discharge their DOCTORS. Now, imagine how the bankruptcy court will view a homeowner defending his house and forced into bankruptcy. A certain New Jersey gun trainer, who is worshiped by local law enforcement, regularly scares crap outa everyone over Civil liability issues.

These issues require a skill set few lawyers have these days. Most lawyers, I know, don't know how to do a debtors examination at Proceedings Supplemental to Judgment. That's the hearing to collect the Judgment Denny Crane, just obtained. Most lawyers also don't know how their States exemption statutes work, ESPECIALLY the Civil litigators and Tort guys who would be suing you. ( Cause if they did they wouldn't take a contingency fee against a fraud claim or a business debt to get 1/3 of that Bankruptcy petition.)

Finally even if you were a bazillionaire. In my state, a Civil defendant could expect a year or 2 in Civil Court, 2 to 5 more in Appeals Court, BEFORE he files his single creditor Chapter 11 bankruptcy to restructure all his debt and compromise this one unsecured claimant whom he shot long ago.

Well...one of the things I have always advocated is to get your crap taken care of beforehand. That means that when someone wants to sue you, hahaha mofo...Due Diligence reveals you own nothing. You CONTROL all manner of accounts and items...but own nothing. Every asset is compartmentalized and protected...and easily moved, reassigned, or cashed in if someone were to get close to them. Yes, it is cheating, yes, it is using the system, yes, the Dudley Dorights of the world won't want to play baseball with you any more....but you will keep your crap.

And I have been sued about a half dozen times in my life...most of those for wrongful death...so I know what I speak of. And no...they never got any of my stuff.
    Gabe Suarez

My chapter 7 BK cost $3600. (real estate)
    I do not own anything other than clothing, certain tools, and one old vehicle.
    Some trust owns everything else.

"We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

I know this is an old thread but, what if you get paid to carry a weapon, how does this change. I don't know how many on here get paid to carry but in my experience the consequences are different, standards are higher(as they should be), and everybody these days seems to be trying to Nail us(not discreetly). I work in the hood literally the projects we see more hands on action in a month than most suburban LE see in there career, everybody is looking for a payday and/ or criminals charges. Officers in my AO get shot at weekly no BS but constantly get haggled for use of force and whatnot. Scrutiny unparalleled. Advice for that one. Need it. Also have experience in CP/EP/BE Time to get out? Shit is getting ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by NP79 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but, what if you get paid to carry a weapon, how does this change. I don't know how many on here get paid to carry but in my experience the consequences are different, standards are higher(as they should be), and everybody these days seems to be trying to Nail us(not discreetly). I work in the hood literally the projects we see more hands on action in a month than most suburban LE see in there career, everybody is looking for a payday and/ or criminals charges. Officers in my AO get shot at weekly no BS but constantly get haggled for use of force and whatnot. Scrutiny unparalleled. Advice for that one. Need it. Also have experience in CP/EP/BE Time to get out? Shit is getting ridiculous
    BTDT. What changes is that you are not in your own AO and have to ID to a greater degree. These days its not that cops shoot bad guys...its that they have no art on the job any longer...no art of articulation, and everyone thinks they are Dudley Do-Right.
    Gabe Suarez