Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I assume that when you guys are talking about NV with a handgun that you're holding a NV monocular to your eye in one hand and your pistol in the other?

Is there a NV monocular that can serve this roles as well as being quickly mounted and dismounted from a rifle?

And, lastly, do NV items work with Aimpoint red dots?

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I assume that when you guys are talking about NV with a handgun that you're holding a NV monocular to your eye in one hand and your pistol in the other?

Is there a NV monocular that can serve this roles as well as being quickly mounted and dismounted from a rifle?

You can also get a model 7 with a skull crusher head adapter, or mount it to a helmet and it can be hands free.
    Last edited by milchamah; 12-24-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Here's a question for those of you that have had time behind the tritium /light powered rmr. How well does it work with NV and how often do you find yourself in a situation where it's not bright enough/too bright? (i.e. Shooting out of a dark room into a well lit room) I haven't had personal experience behind it as of yet but I want to make the right decision on which one to get! It's down to the adjustable one and the tritium /light powered model. (don't remember the model numbers unfortunately)
    * "NO Reserves, NO Retreats, NO Regrets"
    -William Borden

*Faith, Firearms, and Fitness

I have the RM05G (Dual Illuminated) and the RM07 (Adjustable LED) not counting my four RM02's. The RM05G is best used as a backup/spare IMHO. I've not used it with NV, but I have used it in low light/no light. Introduce any white light into a dark room and the RM05G washes out. Use it on a sunny day and the 9 MOA dot blooms nicely. The RM07 is much more versatile and well worth the extra coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by docholliday13 View Post
    Here's a question for those of you that have had time behind the tritium /light powered rmr. How well does it work with NV and how often do you find yourself in a situation where it's not bright enough/too bright? (i.e. Shooting out of a dark room into a well lit room) I haven't had personal experience behind it as of yet but I want to make the right decision on which one to get! It's down to the adjustable one and the tritium /light powered model. (don't remember the model numbers unfortunately)
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2018

​CRG-1 Orange TX January 20-21, 2018

CRG-2 Orange TX March 10-11, 2018

Shotgun Gunfighting San Antonio TX April 14-15, 2018

GS-1 (modified) Kirbyville TX May 19-20, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    I have the RM05G (Dual Illuminated) and the RM07 (Adjustable LED) not counting my four RM02's. The RM05G is best used as a backup/spare IMHO. I've not used it with NV, but I have used it in low light/no light. Introduce any white light into a dark room and the RM05G washes out. Use it on a sunny day and the 9 MOA dot blooms nicely. The RM07 is much more versatile and well worth the extra coin.
    Thanks for the info Jon and hopefully I will be able to meet you in person at a future class this next year! I've heard good things about them from friends that have attended!
    * "NO Reserves, NO Retreats, NO Regrets"
    -William Borden

*Faith, Firearms, and Fitness

Similar experience with the tritium/fiber optic powered RMR in dark rooms being illuminated with weapon lights, the dot is visible but very very faint. I rapidly transitioned to the irons and did just fine though.
    Handheld NVG's are to be avoided at all costs...get a bump helmet with an NVG mount. Learning how to work under NVG's, focus them properly, and mount them correctly takes time, practice, and good instruction. NVG compatibility with red dot/holographic sights is dependent on model.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post

Doc
    The Aimpoints will work with NV, the Comp M, like M2, have built in NV settings, the ML's do not. There are various mounting options for PVS-14's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    Similar experience with the tritium/fiber optic powered RMR in dark rooms being illuminated with weapon lights, the dot is visible but very very faint. I rapidly transitioned to the irons and did just fine though.
    Handheld NVG's are to be avoided at all costs...get a bump helmet with an NVG mount. Learning how to work under NVG's, focus them properly, and mount them correctly takes time, practice, and good instruction. NVG compatibility with red dot/holographic sights is dependent on model.
    While I have used a bump helmet to good effect and agree it is the optimal set up, I do not have one at my bedside or in my vehicle at all times. I have had good luck stalking "targets" in a simulator holding a PVS 14 in my off hand and looking through it at RMR, or for an IR pistol laser illuminating the target. The PVS is a compact unit, that fits well in a Go Bag but the helmet adds a lot of bulk. In perfect world where we are invited to a gun fight, I am with you about the helmet, but for emergent situations, a PVS 14 in the hand beats (and finds) the dude in the bush.
    Like all things, experiment and find what works in differing situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryder View Post
    While I have used a bump helmet to good effect and agree it is the optimal set up, I do not have one at my bedside or in my vehicle at all times. I have had good luck stalking "targets" in a simulator holding a PVS 14 in my off hand and looking through it at RMR, or for an IR pistol laser illuminating the target. The PVS is a compact unit, that fits well in a Go Bag but the helmet adds a lot of bulk. In perfect world where we are invited to a gun fight, I am with you about the helmet, but for emergent situations, a PVS 14 in the hand beats (and finds) the dude in the bush.
    Like all things, experiment and find what works in differing situations.
    I'd be interested to see if it's quicker and less prone to bumbling to "don, flip, switch" with a helmet (don the helmet, flip the NODs down, switch them on) or "grab, orient, switch" (grab the NVG from bag, bedside etc, orient it to the right direction and side up, switch on). I've never used any form of night vision in hand held mode save from some thermal devices and such and absolutely never tried to operate one while using a weapon in the other hand so I'm genuinely curious.

The helmet takes some doing to get the chin strap just right so that the monocle aligns with the eye (I'd say 20 seconds), but being hands-free after is a major plus.
    Kind of like the comparison of a weapon mounted light to going "Harries", once you go mounted, it is hard to go back.
    That being said, how many guys carry a weapon light on your daily pistol? Slipping one on when needed is pretty quick, especially compared to a helmet.
    The helmet just takes up a lot of room, especially when you have a pumpkin-head :)

Any form of NVG versus an opponent without is a HUGE tactical advantage. If you are ambushing and he is not, you win virtually every encounter. When you are searching, it is a question of the other target indicators you create (sound, shine, etc) to draw attention to yourself.

Suarez has been great about teaching one handed shooting drills to get off the X and move to position, so shooting one handed deliberately while standing with an NVG in one hand is not a real challenge. When in the "tunnels" during a simmunitions class in the desert once, I literally pressed my pistol against my opponent and said "you're dead". He had no idea what was happening and I got to see the startle response bathed in cool, green light.

Bottom line: if I am invited to a gun fight, I am putting on the helmet, and setting up with a rifle and an IR laser (and level 4 armor) with a team backing me up.
    For spur of the moment searching at home or away, the NVG as part of a "go bag" is handy and as easy to turn on and off as a flashlight. Different tools and tactics for different situations.