Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I use a Sharpie on the night sights, it dims them quite well.

"Limited" huh?

I like the varnish idea...that would make it usuable but not nearly as bright. But the more I work with the red dot system the less I want Tritium on my sights (Trijicon hates it when I say that but there you go).

The reality that technology that was once unobtainable being quite prolific is the truth. Any Gen 1 NV unit is suitable for CQB inside a house. But you do get what you pay for. There is no comparison between a $3,000 Gen 3 PVS-14 and a $200 RusMilSurp Gen 1 unit. Its like an Audi R8 versus a used AMC Pacer with retreads. Both will still get you to work, but there is a vast difference in the ride and the time it will take you to get there.

But having said that...if I was going to go hunt a bad guy in a dark house, I would take that RusMilSurp Gen 1 unit and my RMR Glock over the best flashlight Surefire has to offer.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Lol.... With retreads....:)

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    "Limited" huh?
    Ok perhaps not that limited......I guess the reason that I'm pasty white could be from going for long periods of time without seeing the light of day. I always thought it was my ancestry
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    I just realized we were talking about two different things. Think of it this way. During the day, you can compare a Red Dot Sight and a Red Laser (green laser is the same but I want to be color coordinated in my discussion). You can bring a pistol into line of sight with a Red Dot RMR, and another with a red laser. Put both on a target. Which one does the target see? The red laser. Which one traces a visible line if there is moisture, smoke, or fog in the air? The laser. The RMR does none of those things, yet provides the same visual efefct for the shooter.

OK?

Now the same thing happens with IR visible lasers. Anyone equipped with an NV unit will see your laser if you use it...but not the dot on your RMR. The fact the pistol is held away from the body and can be floated in front of the Night Vision is an asset. Now I will say for shots exceeding maybe ten yards, this won't work very well...but for indoors CQB...oh hell yes. For longer or more precise shooting the IR laser will be needed because unlike the human eye, the NVG cannot be instantly shifted in focus. It is shifted and left.

As well, running the pistol is a different deal than running the rifle.
    Yep. We're on the same page. In the first post I thought you meant the rmr gave of a bad indicator which was counter to what I knew. We're good.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Default Some thoughts on Night Vision, RMRs and Tritium...

So school me on NVGs that can be used in conjunction with Aimpoint optics, also in your opinion what the best set of NVGs that I can obtain? Cost not being a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bburnette252 View Post
    So school me on NVGs that can be used in conjunction with Aimpoint optics, also in your opinion what the best set of NVGs that I can obtain? Cost not being a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    $35K or so, will get you the "I killed Bin Laden" quads, if money isn't an object! But you can get a decent Gen 3 PVS-14 for around $3K from SI if they are still selling them. Edited because I didn't realize SI wasn't in the NVG biz anymore!
    Last edited by Vigilant; 12-23-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: SI not selling NVGs anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by SUA SPONTE View Post
    Ok perhaps not that limited......I guess the reason that I'm pasty white could be from going for long periods of time without seeing the light of day. I always thought it was my ancestry

While keeping his face in the mud low crawling at RASP, mild mannered Sua was bitten by a radioactive slug. Changed and transformed by its DNA Sua became slug man. A Pasty White shadow in the night, fighting the forces of evil... and good fashion sense.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    While keeping his face in the mud low crawling at RASP, mild mannered Sua was bitten by a radioactive slug. Changed and transformed by its DNA Sua became slug man. A Pasty White shadow in the night, fighting the forces of evil... and good fashion sense.
    CoastalLeaks - the new mil informant. Sorry Sua.
    "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win" - Lombardi

"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good" - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

"I answer to a higher authority than the approval of men not worthy of my time" - Gabe Suarez

Train with Rick Klopp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Bio

CRG-4: Force on Force Gunfighting - April 8-9, 2017 - Albermarle, NC

Additional classes including AK Rifle Gunfighting, Force on Force and Advanced Trauma Medicine coming soon.

night vision prices should be dropping rapidly soon, as more thermal comes on line, I bought a flir T75 for a customer and will be lucky to get to play with it for a couple weeks before he comes to pick it up, mounting it on a JP Enterprises 308 , should be pretty good stuff when I am done with it