Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Metabolism and ketosis

If, instead of starving, you’re following a low-carb diet, it gets even better. The protein you eat is converted to glucose instead of the protein in your muscles. If you keep the carbs low enough so that the liver still has to make some sugar, then you will be in fat-burning mode while maintaining your muscle mass, the best of all worlds. How low is low enough? Well, when the ketosis process is humming along nicely and the brain and other tissues have converted to ketones for fuel, the requirement for glucose drops to about 120-130 gm per day. If you keep your carbs below that at, say, 60 grams per day, you’re liver will have to produce at least 60-70 grams of glucose to make up the deficit, so you will generate ketones that entire time.

So, on a low-carb diet you can feast and starve all at the same time. Is it any wonder it’s so effective for weight loss?

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/k...m-and-ketosis/
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Looking at Gabe's post and the link, I found this archived post by Dr. Eades. Very interesting: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/p...anged-my-life/

excerpt: "Agriculturalists replaced their previous diet of primarily fat and protein with high-starch plant foods and paid for it with their health. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that modern man was treading the same path. And with the same results."

Lots of good info on that site! Has anyone here tried the ketosis test strips? Apparently you pee on them and they tell you if your body is in ketosis so you know if your carbs are low enough.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    - H.L. Mencken

Good info.

From that article I found this one:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...nd-calories-2/

I'm wondering if this isn't related to where I'm at right now. I wouldn't say "stalling out", but I'm definitely in the realm of diminishing returns. I do something physical daily, ranging from bodyweight (push-ups, squats, dips, etc.), to kettlebells, dumbbells, or barbells (cleans, squats, presses, etc.), and working on getting more consistent with the running. Nearly every day is < 50 grams of carbs, but I haven't been paying attention to calories, so it's possible that I'm experiencing ketosis, but I'm supplying enough fat so I'm leveling out (if I understand that article correctly).

I'm going to start watching calories, too, namely in the caloric dense foods like nuts (I seldom do cheese).
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Once in a while test and push. Example: Long ruck march coupled with a fast. You need to break out of the routine to shock the body back into ketosis and muscle growth.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Once in a while test and push. Example: Long ruck march coupled with a fast. You need to break out of the routine to shock the body back into ketosis and muscle growth.
    Good idea and easy enough to try.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

I'm not convinced that healthy, hard-training people benefit by aiming for ketosis. Ketosis is very high fat, very low carb, and less protein than we typically aim for. I think it's a good tool for some folks, and especially those with health issues (seizures, certain cancers, etc), but for day-to-day...I dunno, I'm not convinced by anything I've read.

I get better workouts, and still lean out well, with a pretty fair amount of carbs from fruits and sweet potatoes. And verrrry occasional white rice. I like eating as much protein as I can get down (today was 2 lbs of buffalo, 6 eggs, a good amount of organic yogurt, some sardines, and probably some other meat somewhere) and just filling in the rest with whatever paleo food sounds good. I'll eat 5 bananas, a bowl of berries, and a sweet potato in a day without hesitation, especially on lifting days. I also have some days where I pretty much eat nothing but meat and fat.

There was a good article on T-Nation the other day by Nate Miyaki (I like everything I've seen from him) outlining the "Paleo Hybrid" way of eating, basically what I just said--fuel intense workouts with carbs, eat a bunch of protein, avoid crappy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jons999 View Post
    Lots of good info on that site! Has anyone here tried the ketosis test strips? Apparently you pee on them and they tell you if your body is in ketosis so you know if your carbs are low enough.
    The test strips only work in the early stages of ketosis. For reliable info you'll need to test your blood with a ketone meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    Once in a while test and push. Example: Long ruck march coupled with a fast.
    YES. This is hands-down the easiest way to lean out. Don't eat breakfast and go for a long walk or hike. I do this all the time; last weekend I snowshoed for 4 hours on an empty stomach and then ate my first food (a metric F-ton of BBQ) at around 4 pm.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Jons999 View Post
    The strips measure a different ketone body than the ones you really need to track. They give you a very broad indication of nutritional ketosis but I have found that the ketone measuring devices such as this one: Nova Max and get your ketone strips here: Nova Max test strips
    Adaptare, Vincendum aut Mori!

Light a candle, don't curse the darkness. Redneckranger

santiago.matamoros
    "brush the sand out of your vagina and move on, personally i wouldn't post such drama here considering the clientèle WT serves but thats just me. You may find yourself at class one day being forced to get off the X in a pink floral sun dress surrounded by smirking monsters. I say its better to have no friends then bad friends."

All those looking for training/nutrition info,

I am constantly amazed at the level of knowledge at this forum. (Multiple topics and quality information.) I have read numerous books, watched many presentations, and attended clinics/seminars on fitness and nutrition. I have experimented in various templates in both also. In my opinion, Gabe and others are giving it to you absolutely straight. No need for highly complex programs.

EAT: (Ketogenic Diet - Highest QUALITY food possible!)
    High fat, medium protein, low carb (more carb - depending on your fitness requirements)
    Others have suggest not staying in ketosis everyday. Perfectly acceptable to do "Cyclical Ketosis."
    Resources:
    "Your Personal Paleo Code," by Chris Kresser (This explains it well and helps you to personalize it)
    Other people: Abel James, Dave Asprey, Robb Wolf (Similar ideas with different tweaks)

Fitness: (Huge topic with many experts)
    Simply stated (as others have said): resistance training (preferably heavy), sprints, joint mobility, and some flexibility
    My suggestion is to find something in the groups above that you enjoy and start there. Then search out experts in the exact discipline that you need. (And if you are new to something, get coaching for the help to learn it right.)
    Resources:
    Mark Rippetoe, Christopher Sommer (Gymnastic style training), Poliquin, Pavel Tsatsouline, Kelly Starrett… there are many, this is a few)

I don't post often because it is often something I am learning for the first time. However, this is a topic I can participate. Even if it is just to restate what others have said.

Lastly, the martial arts (Taekwondo). I have about 35 years of training (started very young). I competed in local, regional, state, national tournaments. (Highest: Silver/Bronze medals in Junior Olympics - mid 1980s. I was invited to train at the US Olympic Training Center.) I went through the phases of killing the "sacred cows" along the way. Again, the martial information discussed by Brent, Gabe, and others are my beliefs also.

I recently (a few years ago) trained with someone willing to test our fighting skills. (His style can be best described as combat jujitsu.) It was a great experience, and was ugly every time. Over time I removed any techniques too risky/ineffective. I learned new and effective ones. We tried to breakdown what self defense should be. I came to the conclusions that are talked about here! Amazing.

A gun forum with very knowledgable members. High level information in multiple areas in life. I suggest listening, learning and doing.

Thank you everyone,
    Jon Banker

Hi All, I just saw this thread, and wanted to post this video about the science behind low carb, and especially ketogenic, diets:

This is really good stuff! I have transitioned to keto myself. I found it actually takes some work to get into ketosis - just a low carb diet won't do... you also have to moderate your proteins. Most paleo people are probably not in ketosis. A typical macro might be 70-80% fat, 15-20% protein, 5-10% carbs. The best way to confirm that you are in ketosis is the blood tester as described above. The urine test strips are crap - they only show the ketones you are peeing out.
    VGF 5/2013, CPM 8/2013, ARG 9/2013, TASI 10/2013, CRG-2 3/2014, CRG-3 6/2014, HRO-3 8/2014, HITS-5 5/2015