Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaMedic View Post
    Was looking for something unrelated tonight and came across the DBAL-PL, which looks like an impressive light:

It combines a visible laser (green or red) and 400 lumen light with an IR illuminator and an IR laser. Looks to be a little heavier than most offerings (5.4 oz vs 4.9 oz for the X400-U or 2.8oz for the TRL-4G) and is larger, as well.

Thoughts?
    Excellent. This is what I was looking for a couple months ago. Unfortunately just had a custom holster built for a TLR2HL VIS with Lasermax recoil spring IR laser, but it can be remodified lol.
    Will have to put that on the 22, and get this for the 9. Thanks!

The only thing the Pistol Dbal lacks is a grip switch like the streamlight and surefire...which is essential.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I've used modern NV (pretty sure they're PVS-14s, have to check) and it really does open up a whole new world as far as operating at night.

My only concern is, I've never been hit by a bright light while looking through them but I've heard it's pretty debilitating. Nowadays it seems like everybody has a tactical (200+) lumen flashlight. Now maybe my view is kind of skewed because I don't exactly hang around with a perfect cross section of society, but I've always assumed that any burglar would make the $100 or so investment in a decent light. How would you combat either the guy you shot while looking through your monocular not being DRT and hitting you a flashlight while you're wearing NVs or his buddy in the other room getting you with one. You could avoid the main beam by GOTX after you fire the shot(s), but will the flash of light in an enclosed space (with walls that are probably white and while reflect some light) be enough to blind you while wearing NV?

Most new units are autogated so it should compensate. However, since your encounter with a armed burglar is a remote possibility I don't think you need to worry. Your reflex will be to turn away and flick the nvg up. Also a amber filter is a good investment for eye protection.

I've decided that my post-deployment purchase will be a night vision device. I have been reading but I'm looking for some ideas on what to get. I'm thinking I would like something rifle mountable, but usable as a hand held device. Magnification? Budget up to around $3000 but willing to pay less for the right device! Appreciate any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post
    I've decided that my post-deployment purchase will be a night vision device. I have been reading but I'm looking for some ideas on what to get. I'm thinking I would like something rifle mountable, but usable as a hand held device. Magnification? Budget up to around $3000 but willing to pay less for the right device! Appreciate any feedback.
    Here you go: https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/ $150 off until December 31. An IR laser on your rifle may be better than mounting this on your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nieuwland View Post
    Here you go: https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/ $150 off until December 31. An IR laser on your rifle may be better than mounting this on your rifle.
    This is what I have. I can use it hand held or helmet mounted with adjustable RMR on pistol and an IR laser on my rifle. It can be rifle mounted too, but I find it not as versatile.
    Dave Sauer
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

"The path which leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant." --Musashi

Onward & Upward!

That's a really good deal!

That, a opscore helmet mount and an OTAL and you're good to go.

Now that it's cooled off, I hope to "practice" some more, shooting rabbits at night with paintball and NVGs.
    T. Mark Graham, Master Gunsmith
    Arizona Response Systems, LLC

Don't mount it on the rifle it is a handicap. A few more bucks get you in to the IR spectrum lasers. Transition to pistol with the IR laser if you don't need the rifle. With the non standard rifle firing positions and your sidearm blaster with rmr or IR laser you can do more than you ever dreamed of at night.....buy now....train now. Owning the night is very doable.
    With white light...you are really just renting the night.

v/r

JD
    Last edited by JD Lester; 12-23-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Sorry for the delayed reply but thanks for the info and link! Looking forward to purchasing.