Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thoughts on IR illuminators?

Working midnites, Ive discovered that its rarely totally dark; but some light is usually needed. Passive NV only magnifies available light, an IR source is a flashlight for NV. Its also a beacon to anyone with NV who is be targeting you (much like poor use of white light) ; but I don't think we've reached that point yet--in civilian law enforcement. I do however recognize the risk.

Can someone explain the IPhone app for night vision??? How does it work and does it have any use for or against us? I know some video cameras have some level of NV capabilities. I seem to recall some reports of the muzzies using either the IPhone or video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I seem to recall some reports of the muzzies using either the IPhone or video camera.
    IIRC, that happened due to IR showing up as lit up pixie dust on the camera, in other words, the IR illumination from their enemies through a smartphone's camera picks up the IR and displays it as bright spots that don't exist to the naked eye.

Also, IIRC, I read about some movie theaters employing a similar bit of tech to detect people in the dark with cameras trying to bootleg the video from the crowd.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

The Consumer Electronics Show is going on right now in Las Vegas. What's getting all the buzz is the Flir One, a $350 Iphone 5/5s case that claims to turn it into a 100m IR viewer;

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35299_1-576...maging-device/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389199514.585134.jpg
    The more closely our own pistols resemble machine guns, the better we like it. - W.E. Fairbairn, Shooting to Live

I know I am among civilized men because they are fighting so savagely. - Voltaire

-Red Dot Combat Pistol School

Quote Originally Posted by EB71 View Post
    The Consumer Electronics Show is going on right now in Las Vegas. What's getting all the buzz is the Flir One, a $350 Iphone 5/5s case that claims to turn it into a 100m IR viewer;

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35299_1-576...maging-device/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389199514.585134.jpg
    This stuff will only get better and cheaper ...

I want the Google Glass version now.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryder View Post
    SEAL Team 6 had versions with 4 PVS's on them , one for each eye and one each for the peripherals. Saw them in Mark Owens book and in "Zero Dark Thirty".
    Seemed claustrophobic and heavy to me, but in theory would give less "tunnel vision".
    These would be L3's GPNVG-18's you saw in the film, not quad 14's. These were not actually available at the time of the raid, but are current issue now. They are actually fantastic for CQB/ground combat, though a bit heavy. The battery pack provides a counterweight, they are really not bad t wear.
    Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

Gabe, can you explain the differences PROs and Cons between the ITAL and the OTAL?

Also what are the advantages of the DBAL-I2?

The ITAL is the Inline Aiming Laser, a .7mW unit for a rail mount at 6 or 12 O'clock, the OTAL is Offset to get around standard front sight bases. The DBAL-I2 has a visible and IR laser, but no illum, the D2 has an LED type illuminator. For most rifle usage, I'd suggest the DBAL-A@, for a pistol the ITAL or TAC2 would be the way to go.
    Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

Didn't TSD experiment with switching the X400 laser to IR? How did that turn out?

Was looking for something unrelated tonight and came across the DBAL-PL, which looks like an impressive light:
    206_00.jpg
    It combines a visible laser (green or red) and 400 lumen light with an IR illuminator and an IR laser. Looks to be a little heavier than most offerings (5.4 oz vs 4.9 oz for the X400-U or 2.8oz for the TRL-4G) and is larger, as well.

Thoughts?
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

Thanks Gabe...I just read this thread...I feel like I got an undergrad degree in low light capabilities and its application...thorough and to the point...as usual...

CRG-Suarez International Combat Pistol Instructor

SIG SAUER CERTIFIED ARMORER M400, 516, 716, M4, AR15, M16