SI 2014 Training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tac Con Trigger

Default Tac Con Trigger

Awhile back we had a thread on this; but rather than pile on I thought we might start somethiing new. The Tac Con web sight and "cool guy" vids left me with more questions than answers. Now before this goes too far let me start by saying Im NOT interested in a BUMP FIRE lesson or Slide Fire stock, and Im pretty sure most altercations can be handled (maybe even better handled), by rapid semi auto shots than FULL AUTO. That being said, I DO think there are sometimes when FA would be an asset.

Sooooo, I been searching for more info on the Tac Con Trigger, especially as to HOW it works, and is it more and a toy (can it really be aimed without and unusual shifts in weapon manipulation). This all lead me to an article in "Special Weapons" magazine. I dont have much history with this magazine other than to see it on the news stand. The current copy has an article about the Tac Con, so I dropped the $8.oo for a copy to see what they had to say.

The article was written by David Bande. I have no history with him either, perhaps some of you know more about him. He seems to like the Tac Con as a drop in MATCH trigger and reports it has a single stage 4.5lb pull. OK, I suppose thats good; but Ive been using Mil Spec triggers for so long on ARs and M16s, that unless Im doing precision stuff, I can take or leave it; although I do appreciate how a good trigger improves the gun. Then he says the "THIRD" position is where the Tac Con gets interesting.

The THIRD position allows "impressive rapid fire" (his words) "and controllable single shots" More from the article, "shooting doubles and triples followed by well aimed singles was easy". OK, Im thinking good so far; but HOW does it work AND will it really work in the real world??? The Safe and Semi positions are pretty standard BUT the THIRD position is where things change. Its NOT Full Auto and as best I can tell its NOT Bump Fire in the YeeeeeHa sort of way. In the THIRD position the trigger pull remains the same (4.5#); but the "reset is short and has a bit of assist". Someone in the last thread called it "trigger slap".

Is there a drawback? Well as any of us whove ever used a FA M16 know the ergodynamics of the SAFETY/SELLECTOR suck for fast changes from safe to FA and FA to safe. The Tac Con suffers from the same 180degree arc; but maybe more so because we arent used to it on Semi Auto guns. Add to that the reset is shorter than we're used to on a two position trigger.

Now the next item is the cost. Its PRICEY ($500); but as one member here pointed out he's wasted that much on less before. They arent supposed to be out till the SHOT SHOW; but a few have popped up. Recently a Gunbroker auction had one go for close to $600.

Is it better than a Slide Fire or Bumpski stock? Well I never used either; but based on nothing but the required manipulations of those stocks VS little to nothing from the Tac Con, Id say YES or probably yes... Is it needed? NO, of course not. Am I interested? Yeah, kinda. If it works on my AR LMGs and SHRIKEs, then I think its got real potential (maybe then we can actually call them S.A.W.s), and maybe just maybe it might have a place in AR Pistol.

At least now, Ive got a better idea how it works...

I watched the Tac Con video, and the first guy seems to be able to unload at an impressive rate with the trigger. The Marine in the video was less impressive. Which got me to comparing the Tac Con to people shooting the Geissele 3 gun trigger which is supposed to be their fastest trigger. Here is one Youtube vid showing a guy with the Geissele doing an impressively fast series of triples:

Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” Luke 18:27

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god" - Martin Luther

I have a Geisselle in my SBR and a CMC in my PDW Pistol. The Geisselle is a very nice trigger, but the CMC feels more like the Timney in my Recce. I am not sold on the Tac Con trigger, and I am not sold on the FA thing for the most part.
    Gabe Suarez

Warrior Talk Blog
    Tactical Gear For The Civilian Fighter
    Training For The Martial Civilian

"The Best Way To Predict The Future Is To Create It"

Gabe, just wondering which CMC trigger you are running?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    I have a Geisselle in my SBR and a CMC in my PDW Pistol. The Geisselle is a very nice trigger, but the CMC feels more like the Timney in my Recce. I am not sold on the Tac Con trigger, and I am not sold on the FA thing for the most part.
    Gabe, my thoughts are that it would be good for the support weapons. IF Im understanding the function correctly, it doesn't require any of the recoil/bounce of the bump fire manipulations AND IF that's the case it should work of bi-pods and tri-pods. That's the primary role I envision for it. After the LMG and SHRIKE's, Im thinking it might have some use in a AR Pistol when used as a PDW in Close Protection role.

No I don't think FA is a requirement, nor do I think its even a good idea most of the time; but there are a few times when it IS an advantage. True FA weapons are cost prohibitive, even once the NFA restrictions are overcome. Its not just the delay; the travel restrictions are just as bad. So, IF this works AND stays unrestricted, it just might be an option worth consideration.

Yep a lot of IFs and ANDs; but isn't that how we discover new advancements and discard junk???

Not Gabe, but I believe he's running the same curved 3-3.5lb that I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaa_cccc View Post
    Gabe, just wondering which CMC trigger you are running?
    Jon Payne
    Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies

Jon's Facebook Page

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

TRAIN WITH PAYNE 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    I'm with you on this...particularly considering quality match triggers are 1/2-1/3 the price of the Tac Con.

I've been using the CMC for 8 years now.

Guys I think youre missing the point, I could care less about Match triggers on "Service Guns", if the Tac Con's third position works as suggested, then THATS when it becomes interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Guys I think youre missing the point, I could care less about Match triggers on "Service Guns", if the Tac Con's third position works as suggested, then THATS when it becomes interesting.
    The mechanism is more complicated than a single stage match trigger and thus potentially more prone to failure. One can replicate similar rates of fire with match triggers while also controlling it. At this point match doesn't mean less reliable. It simply means higher quality with more attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I'm with you on this one. If it can deliver and proves to be a robust design it might have a few tricks up its sleeve.
    Bazinga!

Keep calm and Panic!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast