Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    David,

I placed a preorder for your new book with Amazon.com. They forecasted a shipping date mid-Sept 2013.
    They just sent me a new forecasted shipping date of mid-April 2014.
    You may want to look into whatever harm they are doing to your future orders.
    Some of us are so old that we don't buy green bananas.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage,rage against the dying of the light.

Hi there

Oh - I agree completely. The feedback I have been getting from emails/pm's from various sources is that people want the book and info on Colonel Grant-Taylor ASAP (quite rightly). This is what the publishers had to say about the Amazon 2014 debacle;

The USA tends to work several months behind the UK. Our distributors Consortium have declared an April publication date, as you have already spotted. This is because we give them books in two batches every 6 months - and the standard publication date for the early 2014 batch (including yours) is April. However, as we will actually ship to the USA as soon as the book is printed, they should have it in stock by the end of the year, so they may choose to bring publication forward a little. This is up to them, though.

With this in mind, that is why the publishers have recommended that people in the USA who want to read At Close Quarters as soon as it is released use a UK site - Fonthill, Book Depository, Amazon UK, etc, etc.

For people who come to the book later on, well a few months (2014) isn't going to worry them any.

As I say the Publishing side of it is all new to me - a bit of a minefield. My overall aim is for the book to get released, get the true story out there and for people to enjoy it. Which I hope in a matter of weeks they will be able to.

Any questions please feel free to PM me and i'll tell you what I know ASAP.

Cheers

David
    I'm good at what I do - unfortunately what I do isn't very nice!! - Wolverine

David,

I have cancelled my order with Amazon and will order from Fonthill once the book is released.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage,rage against the dying of the light.

Hi

Sorry I've been absent from the forum recently work and conducting the final sessions of our "Grant-Taylor" Point Shooting Lectures has kept me sidetracked.

Release date for the book in the UK is now confirmed as - 31st October 2013.

As stated above if US readers order through various UK sites (Book Depository/Amazon) you should be able to recieve it fairly quickly.

best regards

David

I just cancelled my Amazon order and re ordered via Amazon U.K.
    I am really looking forward to this book, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE A View Post
    Hi

... conducting the final sessions of our "Grant-Taylor" Point Shooting Lectures has kept me sidetracked.

Release date for the book in the UK is now confirmed as - 31st October 2013.

As stated above if US readers order through various UK sites (Book Depository/Amazon) you should be able to recieve it fairly quickly.

best regards

David
    Is there any chance of you videoing the lectures and offering them as a companion to the book?

If so, the queue forms behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    Is there any chance of you videoing the lectures and offering them as a companion to the book?

If so, the queue forms behind me.
    Well thats very kind of you to say so.

The last of the lectures finished the other week - been running them since last summer - and to be fair the majority of the attendees were the type of personnel that wouldn't be too keen on being videoed in any way shape or form (if you get my drift).

There are no plans at the moment for any other G-T lectures to take place in the near future - at least nothings planned - but I'd never say never if the conditions were right.......

btw - can I just say a big thanks to everyone on WT for all their support and words of encouragement for At Close Quarters. I hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks again

David

Dave, you could always do the lectures specifically for video using posers ........... um, I mean 'actors' for demonstrators. It shouldn't be too hard to find willing participants.

I reckon there would be a good quid or two in it if you did and offered the video as a companion/supplement to the book.

Hi Paul, as I say very flattering to think I am capable of doing a DVD, but its not really my thing. No matter how much money it would make. I am more of a hands on person (prefer to show "live" rather than through another media) and to be honest the training program that we have been conducting is an interactive experience that requires the people attending to test both themselves and the techniques offered and not just to copy what happens on screen. I have no doubt that someone may make a DVD at some point in the future - but I'm pretty sure it won't be me/us. If there is enough interest and the conditions are right I'd be happy to put another lecture on for suitable personnel. Cheers.

Well the day has come.......after five years of research and two years of writing it, At Close Quarters is now - finally - available to buy in the shops and on-line.

Its left me with mixed feelings - partly I'm excited that the project that I started all those years ago has come to successful fruition, partly glad that people will at last get to read and discover Grant-Taylors true story, as well as the enigma of his life, his CQB work and the unending mystery of Fairbairn's mysterious 12 Instructors in 1940. In truth ACQ is as much my story as it is Grant-Taylor's, and I hope people enjoy reading about my journey along the way as much as they do about the mystery man known as Hector Grant-Taylor.

And finally partly relief that it is all over (at least for this book). It is a bit like pushing your children off to University or off to start their own lives. You're sorry to see them go, but your steeling yourself for the fact that you've done your best for them but now they have to stand or fall on their own merits.

For me its the same with this book project. I'll protect and defend it, but it has to make its own way in the World.

So I hope all the readers who buy it enjoy it, and I say Thankee Sai to all of you.
    I'll leave you with a quote from John Slim, former Commanding Officer of 22 SAS and a former student of Grant-Taylor's who said "The greatest tribute to Grant-Taylor's memory is that this book should be published and read."