Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Pleased to see that and hope you will keep us apprised. It seems I'm one of the few that are disappointed that the book does not have more of the actual shooting system in it.
    Hi

The problem with the book was that while it does touch on his shooting system it was and was always meant to be the man's biography and not an instructional manual. After playing around with the format of At Close Quarters it was felt, wisely I think by myself and Viscount Slim, that it should remain about the man's life story.

We had been running the G-T lectures for some time and felt that it was easier to translate the actual pistol/CQB work either as part of a seminar or now as a part of a media production (DVD). However we took on board what people were saying about wanting a "nuts and bolts" method of instruction that the book was never able to give. Our intent was to make it happen if we possibly could in the USA, but sadly that was not to be. A second best option is to try to put something together here in the UK, which hopefully we'll be able to do this spring.

Hope that clarifies what we are aiming for.

Best

David
    I'm good at what I do - unfortunately what I do isn't very nice!! - Wolverine

Put me on the list for a copy no matter whether it comes from the UK or the US.

No Problem - will keep everyone in the loop.

At the moment just scouting around for a suitable venue here in the UK that has everything that we'll need.

I don't know if this is of any use to forum members - maybe not.

But I will be in the Fort Bragg/North Carolina area later this year to conduct some combatives/firearms CQB training for some organisations. As I am in the area I would be happy to conduct our Grant-Taylor CQB Lecture for exponents from WT that have an interest in this subject matter and history of this type of combat. This would be part lecture and part practical firearms work. We could, if we have time, also add in a little bit of post-war SF CQB to include unarmed and tactical work.

If anybody is interested in hosting something like this in the area then I would be more than happy to discuss it.

Many thanks

David
    Last edited by DAVE A; 03-23-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Just downloaded the Kindle version ... it looks great! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Necro-posting...

I meant to get a copy of this book at the time, but I lost track of the discussion. Book is available on Amazon, among other places.

Book is interesting on a couple of levels. One, it would be of interest to anyone interested in the evolution of CQB shooting. In particular, the author, David Armstrong, lays out how tactics changed as the mission changed from "kill everyone in the room" to modern day hostage rescue and HVT snatch operations.

On another level, it's a really interesting story of how Grant-Taylor "re-invented" himself. If you are at all familiar with his story, but haven't read the book, most of what you think you know isn't true -- Armstrong calls it a "legend", using the term in as it is used in intelligence operations. To begin with, that wasn't his real name.

On the other hand, he wasn't a total bullshitter, either.

And an amazing job of digging into a decades-old historical mystery.

Just finished it. Interesting but not especially well-written.

Another reference work:

I'd pass on "The Palestine Police Force Close Quarter Battle" manual: repetitious, without much actual substance, and including a ludicrous "fighting stance" and a"correct two-handed grip" that is anything but.

Among the gems:

"Careful training in two-handed shooting should produce a man who is capable of drawing two guns whilst in the act of falling to the ground in order to reduce his vulnerability as a target; then from the prone position bring both guns into action by firing at a slight upward angle into the middles of his opponents." (pp.48-49)

and

"...remembering the instructions that if you have time to move--you have time to cock,..." (p.49)
    Last edited by Papa; 05-24-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:25

I came across this material some years ago when in England on assignment - good historical "stuff." I just placed an order and look forward to a good read.