Default AAR: Adv Rifle Gunfighting Louisville, KY - Randy Harris

I'm horrible at writing reports so bear with me ...

WOW!! What a weekend!! Was a little (ok a lot) stiff and sore getting around Monday morning

By chance this turned out to be a small class so the personal attention and number of reps on the drills ect was fantastic. As always Randy did a super job explaining and executing the drills as well as explaining the rhyme and reason behind the drill. Drill work was a natural foundation building exercise each drill building upon the previous. From all the different shooting positions, contact distance weapon retention and disarming, to weak side manipulations to weak side ONE HANDED manipulations (SUCKED). The team work drill on day to were well thought out and make 'real world' sense.

Equipment wise, my training partner had no weapons related issues....I had one ammo related malfunction (bad primer apparently), and a couple user related malfs on the weak side one handed manipulation stuff, a short pause to figure out what the heck I was doing and that was sorted out.

I have a few good "take homes" to work on in my personal training.

"Advanced Rifle Gunfighting is the most advanced level rifle training available outside of Special Operations schools. This class will consist of all new material and take your rifle fighting skills, both as a firearm and as an alternative force tool, far beyond what you would think possible.

Not for Beginners. Students must own the basic combat rifle skill-set and be in reasonable physical condition for this class. If in doubt, attend the introductory class scheduled immediately before. This class will leave you gasping for air with a red-hot smoking rifle barrel."

That's no lie!!!! not to mention dripping with sweat when its 90+ and humid !!!
    __________________________________________________ ____________

HRCH Crosspeake's Colonel Cooper
    SHR Brandywine's Big Nose Kate
    Brandywine's Rough Rider (Theo)

O.P.E. Retrievers
    www.operetrievers.com

Exhilarating, intense, thorough, humbling! These are all adjectives one could use to describe this class.

Josh and I arrived at the Knob Creek Gun Range Saturday morning not knowing what to expect with regards to the class. What was to come was more than I could have imagined.

I took an intermediate rifle class with Randy Harris a few months ago and was left with a sense of who he was as a person and instructor which made it easy for me to sign up for this class. He is very knowledgable and a competent instructor.

The beginning of the first day was typical with introductions and safety briefings, emergency action plans etc. We set up targets and were given a brief outline of what to expect for the day. We were introduced to many shooting positions and Randy did an excellent job explaining how and why each one would be beneficial in different scenarios. Each exercise built upon the next in a logical order. The drills that focused on our newly learned material were all intense and "real world" useful. At no time did I feel what we were being taught was BS. The amount of material discussed was vast and all very relevant and important. I highly suggest taking notes as there is so much information it is very difficult to remember.

The second day was more of the first only more intense. It felt as if it were non stop action and non stop learning. Again Randy fed us with so much valid and important information (I only hope I am able to retain a portion of it) We drilled on things like weak hand manipulations, weak hand reloads, weak hand ONLY manipulations, reloads and malfunction drills on your back, on your side, in prone, in supine, kneeling etc, etc, it was truly exhausting but and awesome experience. Later in the day we focused on team drills which was the highlight of the training for me. Learning to move as one and effectively communicating while moving toward or away from your objective is a VERY important but difficult skill to have. This class helps to hone that skill and leaves you with the tools necessary to perfect it. There were MANY surprises in the class and I walk away a much better gunfighter.

I would suggest that if you are truly serious about rifle gunfighting this class is an absolute must for you. Get your behind up and sign up for this thing. I also want to add that this AAR doesn't even come close to doing this class justice. You will not be let down if you take this class. I don't care who you are or where you've been, or what you think you know!

I want to thank both Randy and Jeff for quality instruction. You guys are both professional and top notch. I look forward to the next one!

Chuck

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the class guys. I guess I forgive you for going to this class instead of mine. Only because Randy is a great instructor and you are pretty good guys. Oh yeah, that Jeff guy is okay too.

Nice review, sounds like a good time!

Guys- I sent (hopefully!) you (3) album links to the pictures from this weekend. I think it totaled out at 1425 pictures, so have fun sifting through those. There's a ton of great shots, but that's because you guys did an awesome job shootin' and movin'. If you don't get the photo albums, let me know.
    You're welcome any time down in the Bluegrass, I look forward to getting to shoot with you guys when all my limbs work.
    "Always outnumbered. Never outfought!"

Motto of the Special Action Force of the Philippine Constabulary

Quote Originally Posted by B+Shooter View Post
    Guys- I sent (hopefully!) you (3) album links to the pictures from this weekend. I think it totaled out at 1425 pictures, so have fun sifting through those. There's a ton of great shots, but that's because you guys did an awesome job shootin' and movin'. If you don't get the photo albums, let me know.
    You're welcome any time down in the Bluegrass, I look forward to getting to shoot with you guys when all my limbs work.

Jeff, I didn't get it .... thanks for maning the camera all weekend, bum wheel and all !!!

O.P.E. Retrievers
    www.operetrievers.com

O.P.E. Retrievers
    www.operetrievers.com

Josh -

not to highjack your thread but do think you guy are going to make it down this March for the class in MS? My brothers and myself had a good time with everyone and all hope to see y'all there.
    I believe in the Arkansas Bubble Theory: “It is the one state in our country that can sustain itself; Y’all could put a bubble over it, cut us off from importing anything from the rest of the world, and we would not only survive, we would eat well and prosper.” - Adam Brown