Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 0-5 Randy Harris, Indiana

I don't have the time for a proper AAR as I just got home. I will post more here later, but it was really good. Every class I take goes a step farther and builds on the last. We had the privilege of Michael Swisher and John McCreery as well, plus a great group of guys. Enjoy some photos of the FOF bumrush portion!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

Here are a few more.
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

0-5 is a great class, and the Rochester range in a nice place. I can imagine that this class was good and I look forward to a full AAR.
    "Always outnumbered. Never outfought!"

Motto of the Special Action Force of the Philippine Constabulary

image.jpgimage.jpg
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

The bat was popular and brutal. Even after seeing it used several times it was still effective. The knife attacks were the most devastating by far....but hard to get good photos.
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

I love that class. Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

The knife attacks were the most devastating by far....
    I agree.
    Warrior Skills Camp 09
    Fighting Rifle Skills
    Small Unit Tactics
    Close Range Gunfighting
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting
    0-5 gunfighting
    Advanced AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting
    Guerilla Sniper I
    CQB: Fighting in Structures

Whew, I am as sore as a gang raped granny right now! Bruised, battered, and beaten, yet I still have a smile on my face. I am not going to hog the first detailed AAR, (Lord knows I talked enough in class!), but let me just say that even as a somewhat seasoned student, I was blown away by the tempo and pace of the material presented. As is usual, no matter the skill level, background strengths, or experience of the students, we were all challenged and pushed to our limits. And what a great group of guys to train with, no one was ill-prepared or "behind the curve", we were all a straight shooting bunch of squared away gents!

I need to digest some more of this material that I learned before I am able to articulate it any further, but I want to mention that this was my favorite class so far. For the student looking to spend their training dollars wisely I would suggest they take a hard look at enrolling in this, I think I learned more "real world" survival skills in this class than in any other. There is also so much to be learned from the interaction with your training partners that I could see taking this class multiple times, and it not feeling like a waste. What a blast! more to follow.........
    Last edited by irishmike; 04-15-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Just a quick note .... The reason that not everyone is wearing a mask is because the guns were NOT loaded with BBs for that particular drill. Due to the close proximity and real probability of near contact shots for that drill we rolled with empty airsoft guns or blue guns so as to not tear each other up unnecessarily.

And yes the bat is fake and padded...no students were really hit with a real bat, it just looks alarmingly real. And it really does a number on your OODA cycle when you are "sucker punched" with it. A little added realism is a good thing when building pages in your mental survival rolodex.

All standard safety protocols were in place. No animals were harmed in the filming of this picture......

I mention this because someone will see this and say "You see.....I told you those Suarez people were unsafe! They have students shoot each other with BBs with no head protection and hit students with baseball bats"
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 04-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Disclaimer: I suffered an aggravation of an injury while I was there, and missed a lot of the FOF material on day 2, so other guys will have to chime in first hand. I only observed the Bum rush portion.

OK. First...we had three instructors...too awesome for words. I wanted to personally thank the three of you again for your dedication to our area and bringing this years curriculum to us. I have been hounding everyone to get the higher intensity stuff up here since CRG, trying to drum up interest in private training, etc...and you guys are delivering big time. Thank you!!!

I echo Irishmike's words above. This is the real deal, with with someone on you like white on rice. Every SI class, for me, is like drinking from a fire hose, but somehow you leave this one with enough knowledge imprinted that you can practice at home or with a partner. The concepts are caveman simple once you try them a few times, but, putting them to work in real life is the challenge. All the stuff you hear when training about tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, tenseness, fight or flight, etc. really comes home to roost. Some things just can't be removed from instinct completely...so you have to be able to overcome them...NOW! I carry a gun, so I don't need to fight, or carry a knife, or need a ground game, or the ability to move dynamically....BULL****. Plain and simple.

Incidentally, if you want to win the gun debate, have the lawmakers come to this class and see first hand what its like to defend yourself against people who are intent on hurting you...but I digress.

The meat and potatoes of this class is all in the FOF portions and attack drills. The shooting portion at the end of day two solidifies the concepts and challenges you face shooting in positions you don't want to find yourself in, and covers things no one ever practices:

Shooting through clothes on a fouled draw, using your hand or forearm to keep the slide in battery up close (yeah, it doesn't hurt contrary to the internet commandos), and holding a slide and having the weapon fire does nothing but create a malfunction (again, your hand will be in tact).

The FOF, again, is where the rubber meets the road. We did defensive offense against knives, holstered guns, drawn guns, impact weapons, open hand attacks, fixed blades, folders, with and against one, two, and three aggressors, both as the good guys and the bad. And we made contact, repeatedly. Something changes when you feel what the techniques actually do from a physiological standpoint. Both receiving and executing them. There is no other way to learn it. It must be experienced. I won't go over PESTS EAT FAST again, since we have all heard it, but now I know what it REALLY means. You MUST develop more than a fast draw, marksmanship, and dynamic movement.

Get stronger. Work out to the best of your ability. Learn to fight with your hands and feet, while standing and on the ground. Learn to use a knife, and get yourself a quality fixed blade if you can...folders are for optimists...no joke. All of this is invaluable information and experience. It will help you survive.

The biggest thing I took away, and too me, the hidden secret of the class is simply this:

Mindset is truly everything to everything. After you learn to be aware of your surroundings...Make your peace with your life, your maker, and death. Survivability is improved drastically by training, and that is undeniable, but in the end it is really all about you and your willingness/ability to do ANYTHING to stay alive or protect that which you hold dear. You must be able to become a force of destruction in the mind before you can put it into practice. There are no second chances, guys. There is only RIGHT NOW. Huge eye opener. Those that did the best in the drills, "went ugly early", to quote another thread.

I am restructuring my warrior quest based on this class. I was blind, but now I see.
    Last edited by AlwaysVigilant; 04-15-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Really wish I could have been there to chip in with the fun and bruises!!
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.