Hybrid View

Default Close Range Gunfighting Class in Chattanooga, TN March 23-24 2013 Review

I would like to thank the land owners for allow us to use their land for this outstanding class. I would also like to thank Randy Harris for patiently teaching us some outstanding real world skills.

This was the first formal class I have ever taken geared forward gunfighting. I had taken the NRA basic and Intro the IDPA classes and shot several IDPA and 3 Gun competitions, but even with my limited knowledge I could see I needed more skills to deal with real situations. The Close Range Gunfighting certainly met and exceeded my expectations. I had read Randy’s PEST EAT FAST article before the class and thought I understood it. However after hearing Randy talk about it in person; I have a much deeper and better understanding of this concept and am able to better apply PEST EAT FAST in my day to day life.

I’ve always been a terrible shot with a pistol. While I’m standing still with two hands, I suck less than when shooting on the move. Shooting weak hand on the move (even slowly); it was pure luck if I came close to hitting my intended target. After listening to Randy and applying his techniques, by the end of the second day I was able to get good hits on multiple targets while exploding off the X in any direction with either hand. To me, this was just plain “witchcraft”.

Randy’s teaching style made me feel at ease to ask questions and learn what was being covered in the class. Even with the raining cold weather and the “Mud Nationals” to get to the range, Randy was calm and cool.

There were 13 people in our class with skills/experience levels ranging from similar to mine to experienced. Everyone conducted themselves in a safe manner and all were friendly.

It seemed the more I learned the more areas I saw I needed to improve. With the drills Randy showed us and coached us through, I’m very confident with some time and work I’ll be more proficient in these areas.

As I said in front of everyone at the end of the class, I thought this class was excellent. There was nothing I didn’t enjoy and I highly recommend this class. I look forward to training with Randy again soon.

Thanks Robert.

With such a big class I'm hoping some more of the students will drop in and share their thoughts. The weather turned out to be a lot better than we first thought it might be. That was a huge relief...(especially since I spent the last 2 weekends teaching in Mississippi and Kentucky getting rained on...). I have some pics from this class that I hope to get put up in the next day or so.

This class is normally a bit of an adjustment for folks who have only done "stand still and look for your sights" type shooting. But everyone did well and are well on their way to being better able to deal with reactive situations.

Hope to see you guys again soon!
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Amen on the weather. I was especially happy with it when I woke up Monday morning to the arctic breeze and snow. The rain had made for a muddy drive in, but I thought it just added a little fun to the mix. The range was plenty adequate for our large group and the seclusion of the location made for a great open learning environment. I am really appreciative of the land owners for allowing Suarez to host these classes in such a great location so close to the Chattanooga area.
    The large majority of my shooting has been the "stand still sight shooting" that Randy mentioned and I felt awkward even thinking about trying to move and shoot. By the end of day 2, however, I was comfortable actually doing it...even though I may have looked painful doing it. I have obtained 3 degrees in my life and have sit under many different teachers and lecturers so it is easy now to spot those with the God blessed ability to pass knowledge on to others. The time that has went into his instruction was evident in not only his skill but vast knowledge of everything from history to ballistics. Randy is with out a doubt one of the best instructors/educators I have learned from. I was amazed how much information and instruction he was able to pack into two days of class and still have all the range time that we were exposed to. His skill and knowledge is second only to his patience and sense of humor. I definitely will be in every class that he will be offering that my schedule and checkbook will allow for. I have been a fan of hardware too long and this class has taught me that my time and money will be best served investing in software. I definitely have a lot of things to learn and honing to do before anything I posses is even called skill. I am,however,confident that practice and the knowledge that Randy imparted to us will have me well on my way.

This is often touted as being one of the flagship courses for Suarez International and now I know why. I had been looking forward to this class being offered in the southeast for some time and with Randy as the instructor there was no way I was going to pass it up. This was my third SI class and second one with Randy as the instructor. Seeing him teach both rifle and pistol gunfighting only solidifies my initial impression of his teaching style and shooting skill. I would also like to thank the landowners for allowing us to use their property to learn the Suarez way of pistol gunfighting.

I have Randy's "How to Deal with PESTS" bookmarked and read it often, but to see it in person and fully animated cemented the material quite nicely.

Throughout the various shootings of Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday, we were exposed to potential real world interactions and how to deal with them in a decisive manner. To say that Randy is an excellent instructor would be a gross understatement. His combination of a lifetime of experience behind the trigger and being able to
    deliver the material with quiet professionalism and humor made the days truly enjoyable. I have the DVD set for this class and look forward to going back over the training on some friend's land until it becomes second nature.

I know JameyM quite well and I believe he will be a welcome contributing member of WarriorTalk and a frequent class member in the future. I am very glad to have received this level of instruction for the close up stuff and I look forward to attending 0-5 feet when it is taught down here this year.
    Last edited by rn29306; 03-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

The addition of movement what was involved in this class was both new and humbling. Typical ranges do not allow such activities and I am a result of such rules....until this class. I may need to rethink my dues next year.

What was really nice from my standpoint was bringing several co-workers to their first SI event and seeing their enthusiasm build as this class progressed in the delivery of unconventional (at the time) training. I think we may have some new SI guys now for the Southeast.

This was a great class and I am looking forward to 0-5 feet and if it comes around, Advanced CRG. And thanks to Randy for letting me shoot his personal weapon and my next purchase of a RMR'd Glock from OneSource.....Now time to get some Airsoft Glock copies and some co-workers to shoot.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get some pics of class up tonight when I get home from work.

And also as a reminder, we have a Regional Alumni Training Day coming up Sunday April 7 at the range!

Price is $50
    We'll work on backup gun skills and some rifle work . Time will be 9am - 3PM (or so)

EDITED.....http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...22#post1520322 is the info on the training day.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 03-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....