Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Btw bro, I'm glad I stuck with the m3's.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Tagged for interest.

I have always been intrigued about having the ability to see in the dark. If you have to clear your home at O'Dark 30 in total darkness, being able to see the bad guy without him being able to see you is a great advantage.
    I am with RayMich, but I would like to find out more about the Monocular.
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Very interested in this area.

Can any of you guys with hours behind the PVS 14s tell me what the actual difference, if any, is between the Gen 3 and the Gen 3+? I cannot tell any difference in the image between them.

I like to use a Bushnell monocular on a neck lanyard, and switch to the rifle-mounted PVS-14 if I see anything through the Bushnell that merits having the rifle pointed at it.
    There are two types of pain in this world, one of discipline, and one of regret. - Greg Nichols

Because most like the idea of being a warrior more than the reality of it. - Dave Sauer

Human beings aren’t the top of the food chain because we’re just so clever. We’re there because deep inside we are the most homicidal animal on the planet, and sometimes that animal isn’t buried all that deep.

"Last edited by Boetman; 10-21-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: confuckulated "

The problem I see with a mounted system is that you are stuck in that field of view. From a tactical standpoint that doesn't sound very good. The only way it would be ok in my book would be if there was a designated target like in a sniper application or observation role. Honestly, depending on distance, once target is identified through a monocular you can still do a lot without night vision.

Having only run NV for surveillance, I don't know anything about NV w/ weapons. What is the pro/con o running a thermal rifle sight (a bit more $) while maintaining a single eye monocular setup on head mount?
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    A PVS14 with either Wilcox skull crusher or a Protech helmet and mount is the easy button.

The only binocular type NVG I would consider are a PVS6/4949/PVS15 type. The full face PVS5 and PVS7 are less than optimum and really old technology although you can get a 7 with a gen3 tube I still wouldn't consider one. I've got just short of 4000 documented hours behind PVS6's and 4949's and would love to have a set, but right now 8-10K is more than I'm willing to dedicate.

I bought a used Gen3 PVS14 last year for $1700; it had four hours of use when I bought it. A PVS14 with a compatible Aimpoint sight and Laser Devises DBALi2 IR laser is a good starter kit. Personally I prefer the M2 Comp and M3 Comp for use with NVGs over the T1, but it's only a personal preference as both are fine sights.
    There are a lot of advantages to both monocular and binocular types, but for most people's purpose of using them a monocular is the way to go IMO.
    Don, I completely understand on the Comp M3 - I have one on one of my rifles the larger tube diameter definitely helps quickly see the dot when one looses depth perception, rather than feeling like you're searching for it with the smaller T1.

Only the price difference. Thermal Sights rock but the price is multiple times higher than NVGS. Something like the FLIR T-50 thermal clip on runs just under $11K, but it is a good feature set to have.

Thermal helps spot the of the target amongst other objects, then use NV to get there and take it out. Navigating with thermal is not a good option yet, but with a clip on thermal if you are within range why walk when you can send a round to the target? LOL.

There are some hybrid clip on Thermal systems coming out that will clip onto a PVS14 or MUM that don't even obstruct the view through the Tube. I haven't seen pricing yet, but worse case is you add a little more weight to the counter balance on the back of your helmet. Based on the visual size I'd say they weigh less than the PVS14, perhaps around .5lbs. I'll get some info and a post a link when I can find it again as long as it's not on a business competing with Gabe.

The new thermal clip on for PVS14 Monoculars is the AN/PAS-29 COTI and retails for around 7K. Pics below and links to some videos. Now navigation with a thermal option is not an issue.

AN/PAS-29 COTI clipped onto a PVS14
    018_zpsaca64595.jpg
    PVS14 mode Only. Notice how the FOV is not obstructed by the COTI
    CatNightVision_zps78408bd6.jpg

PVS14 with COTI
    photo3_zpsf64b6af9.jpg

The lower R corner is turning up to full Thermal mode
    m7s0hc.jpg

You tube vids of the AN/PAS-29 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-9gJH1eTKA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjd3TDvlEjs
    Last edited by usmc1986; 02-10-2013 at 06:57 AM.

I will try to find something with the difference between 2nd and 3rd gen.