Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The more I learn about this gun fighting business, the less I desire to be involved on any "exchange" of it.

Any tactics or equipment which put the odds in my favor and make the fight a one sided proposition please me no end.

tagged for interest

The unit I tried was around ........ edited: $8900 +/-

God & Tribe
    Last edited by Base Bleed; 02-09-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    The trouble with fighting oppression is that most of one's time is spent defending the scoundrels for whom oppressive laws are first aimed. To win this fight, oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. H.L. Mencken

Rifle Kit should include IR Laser Pointer in addition to day time optics/red dot. We are dealers with Laser Devices and their units are as good as it gets. There are also units that offer both visible and IR for different applications. One can add a white light as well.

Pistol Kit should include a white light and laser combination such as the Surefire X400, or the Streamlight TLR-VIR. Laser units that cannot be operated with the firing hand are substandard. Laser units alone, without white light, are also not what we are loolking for. Neither of these propositions preclude standard sighting systems on the weapon, such as the MRDS/RMR units.

The Night Vision Unit we prefer would be a monocular, used either in hand on a lanyard (when running a pistol), or head/helmet mounted - not on the weapon (when running a rifle or SMG). Gen 3 minimum, of the PVS-14 genre.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1986 View Post
    Also, having one eye adjusted to the natural darkness keeps one from getting potential headaches and helps some sense of depth in your field of view, albeit limited depending upon the conditions.
    IMHO, that is the crucial advantage of the monocular over goggles.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Great story. Tagging this one as well. Can't wait to see where this is going .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Finally!! I"ve been waiting for OST/TSD to delve into the night vision dept. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Tagged for super interest.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

IDPS, DOK, TMCO, FVGF, CPM, CRM, SCPIS, TASI

TWOTU Since May 2015

I found after many years doing just about everything under NODs that the best set up is the PVS-14 monocular. Since I rarely don a ballistic helmet I now prefer the “Skull Crusher” that comes in the accessory kit.

Seeing the evolution of night vision in the US Army go from having one set of PVS-5s per platoon to almost everyone having one or two types of night vision was a great. The only time I ever stepped backwards in night vision technology was when I got one of the Armson OEG red dot sights. It required binocular vision so I drew PVS-5’s instead of PVS-7’s as the 5’s were dual tube and worked quite well with that sight. The first aimpoint comps we fielded did not have the ARD (anti-reflection device) so closing the front lens cover and usingit like my old Armson with a PVS-14 was quite natural.

I am looking forward seeing where this goes.

v/r

JD

Tagged for interest.

I have always been intrigued about having the ability to see in the dark. If you have to clear your home at O'Dark 30 in total darkness, being able to see the bad guy without him being able to see you is a great advantage.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    A PVS14 with either Wilcox skull crusher or a Protech helmet and mount is the easy button.

The only binocular type NVG I would consider are a PVS6/4949/PVS15 type. The full face PVS5 and PVS7 are less than optimum and really old technology although you can get a 7 with a gen3 tube I still wouldn't consider one. I've got just short of 4000 documented hours behind PVS6's and 4949's and would love to have a set, but right now 8-10K is more than I'm willing to dedicate.

I bought a used Gen3 PVS14 last year for $1700; it had four hours of use when I bought it. A PVS14 with a compatible Aimpoint sight and Laser Devises DBALi2 IR laser is a good starter kit. Personally I prefer the M2 Comp and M3 Comp for use with NVGs over the T1, but it's only a personal preference as both are fine sights.
    There are a lot of advantages to both monocular and binocular types, but for most people's purpose of using them a monocular is the way to go IMO.
    Alright, I will keep my eyes out for a 14. My 7's even updated I can see becoming an issue. If I were running a laser It would be doable, but I think I'm going to focus on getting a the 14s.