PDA

View Full Version : Civilian carry for Surefire?

John Kuhlman
09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
With all of the gear all of the CCWers carry, I'm curious as to how everyone carries their flashlights.

I'll start by offering my two options:

1) Carry a 2Z in a Blade-Tech combo mag/flashlight holder. Very comfortable and secure. But not quick to put on or off and definitely something I wouldn't wear without a cover garment due to the mag holder portion. I'm thinking of getting a flashlight holder by itself.

2) Used to carry an E2E with a TID and blue lens cover. Wouldn't quite fit in my pocket so I had it clipped to my belt. Darn thing would pop off everytime I would sit down. Finally lost it at the movie theater and now have to get a replacement. Hence my interest in this topic.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get a good price on another E2 or E1 series light?

Paul Gomez
09-30-2003, 12:00 PM
I used to carry a 6P in a horizontal carrier way back when. Then I went to a Comp-Tac bezel down carrier for a 9Z. That is a very slick, minimalist carrier. For the last year or so, I've just been carrying an e2e clipped into my offisde pocket. The light carries high (the forward top edge of the pocket) and my Delica carries low (the back edge, seam of the trousers) in the same pocket. No problems.

John Silver
09-30-2003, 06:08 PM
I used to carry an SOS rig from Mitch Rosen - magazine in front, Surefire in the rear. It is a great set up, it holds the magazine and light tight into the body, concealing even under an untucked shirt (the most common way of carrying here in AZ).

Now, I don't carry my Surefire as often - which is foolish because I know better. When I do, I usually drop it into a back pocket. As soon as I settle down on a carry gun, I'm going to buy two more SOS rigs - one for a 1 1/2" belt and one for a 1 3/4".

billcameron
09-30-2003, 06:42 PM
I carry a surefire c2 centurion in weak hand side pocket using pocket clip. Yes I have to take light off to get to other stuff in pocket. But no one pays attention or if they see it don't think gun accessory- just take it off and put it on counter and get your change out. Also from this position easy to draw. I generally wear an untucked polo so pretty well covered. In jeans watch pocket I carry folder with clip. This permits access to right front pocket. With folder held high in watch pocket the clip of folder is completely covered by untucked polo.

adriangordon
09-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Take a look at the Z2 Flashlight Carrier that Matt DelFatti makes. Its on his website (www.delfatti.com (http://www.delfatti.com)) under the Belts, Ammo Carriers, for Revolvers and Pocket Holsters catagory.

RFrier
10-01-2003, 02:30 PM
For my .02 worth, I use a Blade Tech combination magazine carry and flashlight holder for my 6P. Works real well.

10-01-2003, 03:17 PM
You guys make me feel like a real slacker. 90% of the time, I carry on my person my G19 and one extra magazine, cell phone and a CRKT M16. However, my brief case, in my case a bag, has two extra magazines, a Surefire knock off or Stream Light Scorpion, a Leatherman or CRKT 1* and a pair of handcuffs. I have a SL20, two extra magazines, ASP, extra pair of handcuffs in the console of my car. So I guess you can say I take the layer approch.

sween1911
10-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I'll throw in my vote for Dockers Mobile Pants, that have the two zipper pockets in the front, below the front pockets. When I wear those to work (computer programmer, so low profile), I stuff my Surefire E1 in one of those pockets. If I'm not wearing those, I just stick it in my left front pocket, knife in right pocket. I've found the clip on those to be somewhat less than inspiring (certainly not as robust as the one on the C2 Centurion), so I'm not going to depend on it. If there was a way to remove it with shredding the rivet and leaving a hole, I'd have done it already. In the winter, I usually have my G2 in my jacket pocket. The G2 tailcap is not a lock-out, but with the rechargable conversion kit (with extra body piece), I just untwist it about half a turn in the middle and it can't accidentally go on. I have attached a Benchmade clip to it as well, so if I'm carrying, I usually have it in my backpocket, lens up.

RCS
10-02-2003, 03:23 AM
When I pocket carry my Kahr P9 covert in my strongside pocket, an extra mag and Surefire E2 is in my weakside pocket carried in an Uncle Mike's #3 soft pocket holster.

When I belt carry a firearm, my 6P is carried in a Blade Tech horizontal belt carrier at approx 2 o'clock.

regards

sanchezero
10-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Offside front pocket.

dgg9
10-02-2003, 11:00 AM
I have Sidearmor Surefire carrier which is nice, but I end up seldom setting up a full "bat belt." Usually it's the E2E in weak side or back pocket, but not clipped -- I have angst that the exposed lens gets broken.

Ragin Cajun
10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
E2 in the off hand pocket of my vest.

guy
10-03-2003, 01:53 PM
i used a blade-tech combo magazine flashlight carrier for about a year but when getting out of the car i found my flashlight and magazine on the street. the top of the loop holding everything to my belt had worn thru.shoulda seen that coming but it was suprising and not a little disappointing.blade-tech was very nice but i use safariland holster and mag pouches now and a wilson combat carrier for my surefire.all have been very satisfactory!(by nice i mean blade-tech offered to replace the equipment but no refund was forthcoming-i declined their offer.)

NTS6GUNNER
10-03-2003, 04:42 PM
I used to carry a 6Z in a Surefire holster on my belt, but switched to my left front pocket when I started carrying my G2. I'm still looking for a more satisfactory arrangement.

rfdillon
10-04-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm a real fan of the Pelican M6 Lithium powered flashlight (which can currently be obtained from Botach Tactical for $29.95) (I'm in no way associated with Pelican nor Botach, by the way) and have one mounted on a Winchester 1300 Defender and regularly carry another one.
It comes with an Uncle Mike's holster, which I use some times, but I also use a Fobus mag/light holster in the cooler months when a jacket can be worn :D the holsters.

Andrew B.
10-04-2003, 06:01 AM
I have come to wear almose exclusivly 5.11 Tactical Pants. And the nice thing about them is that they have a pocket that is designed just for this. By the way, thse pants are really comfortable and cool, especially down here in the Florida heat.

Chris Ives
10-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Gentlemen,
I have had good luck for about ten years with an expensive Uncle Mike's pocket holster for front-pocket carry of such things. I forget which size it is, but it is stepped, high on on side (presumably for the slide length of a small semi auto) and has a strip of tacky material sewn around the holster to help keep it in the pocket. I started out carrying it in my weak-side front pocket to hold a Spyderco Military upright in the pocket for a stealth carry, yet pretty accessible option. The pocket clip outside the pocket was not acceptable around clients. I then had a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) that this would work for a Surefire 6P or a lightweight ASP baton. These go in which ever pocket fits your SOP.
YMMV.

Randy Harris
10-04-2003, 09:18 AM
I usually carry my 6p in a blade tech horizontal holder located at about 1 o'clock on my belt with the bezel on the left side to draw it with my left hand.Most people never even notice it there,even more so if my shirt is untucked.Of course I'm not wearing a suit. I do sales over the phone so I normally wear cargo shorts and T-shirts or polo shirts 9 months out of the year.I normally wear a wilderness instructor belt with the light on the belt, a pistol in each upper front pocket and spare mag and speed loader for back up gun in the cargo pockets.Right now I'm wearing jeans(because it's beginning to get cold around here) with a Mitch Rosen belt,Mitch Rosen Upper Limit holster( for Glock 33) and Mitch Rosen SOS mag/ flashlight combo and the second gun goes in the left front pocket in pocket holster.I really like the horizontal light holder (when appropriate for my attire) and I think (just my opinion) it is the way to go if you have a 6p(or similar light) with the TID attached. That way the teeth on the TID don't dig into your side and eat up your shirt or bare skin.I also don't worry about the light coming on accidentally in the horizintal holder like it sometimes does in the verticle hplders.When I wear a suit the flashlight either goes in the SOS or in a Rosen single flashlight holder.(If you haven't guessed I REALLY like Rosen's leather goods.)I used to work as a movie theater manager so a flashlight was a necessity.I would normally just leave it(single flashlight holder) on belt and no one even looked twice.I guess the customers expected a theater manager to have a small flashlight.Or maybe its just the plain simple fact that 98% of folks don't pay attention to anything around them, much less what other people are wearing/ carrying. CRUEL HAND LUKE

Artful
10-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Mine is inside my Fanny pack but I have a small LED light around my neck - These way next to nothing and give surpising amounts of light.

shooter
10-14-2003, 08:13 PM
I usually carry mine in one of Kytac's light racks. They carry head down and clip to your belt. http://hometown.aol.com/KYTAC/index.html
(405) 844-6040

Mark

Paul Gomez
10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Comp Tac bezel down light holder for anything larger than my E2e.:)

http://www.comp-tac.com/

Mil Novencientos Once
10-16-2003, 03:08 PM
I wonder how those who carry a mag/ligth combo holster train. If you carry a ligth is because you are LEO or some civilian who likes to go out at nigth or because you work at nigth.

What if you need to make a reload during a gunfight and you pull the ligth instead of the mag; then you need to re-holster the ligth or put it in your pocket or whatever in order to free your weak hand to reach for the mag, those are precious seconds you just had wasted. How do you train to prevent this? I'm asking this because I carry a double mag pouch and while trainig tac/speed reloads I always try to pull the mag that is closer to my left hand and found that I pull either one.

Another question of your training: when you pull the gun do you also pull the ligth and assume the stance, can't remember the name, and shoot.

Slow Hand
10-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Y'all are gonna luagh at me!!

What I use, is when I carry a 1911, is a good old military 2 pouch mag holder. I cut off the flap and it works just great! It is thin, cheap, and has two ALICE clips that hold it better to my body than any commercial holster/mag holder I've ever worn. I carry two mags, if I'm going out only in daylight, but most of the time I carry a mag in front and the light (Surefire 6P) in the back compartment, lense up. It's simple, it works, and it cost about $5 and five minutes to modify to work just how I need it!

I get made fun of for carrying a light in the middle of the day, but I read something that made sense to me. Think about going to the Grocery store, or a mall, or whatever. What happens when the lights go out? You, along with all the other idiots, are completely lost! Seems like a good idea to have some kind of light on you at all times.

Doug K

tac17
10-18-2003, 11:05 PM
I usually carry mine in one of Kytac's light racks. They carry head down and clip to your belt. http://hometown.aol.com/KYTAC/index.html
(405) 844-6040

Mark
I carry mine the same way.

tac17
10-18-2003, 11:24 PM
What if you need to make a reload during a gunfight and you pull the ligth instead of the mag; then you need to re-holster the ligth or put it in your pocket or whatever in order to free your weak hand to reach for the mag, those are precious seconds you just had wasted. How do you train to prevent this? I'm asking this because I carry a double mag pouch and while trainig tac/speed reloads I always try to pull the mag that is closer to my left hand and found that I pull either one.I carry 1 extra magazine and my light, night or day. I just have that standard setup and try and not deviate it all. I used to train with a different setup sometimes, the double magazine pouch like you are using. What I found was that when I switched back to the single magazine and light I almost always grabbed the light instead of the magazine. I went back to only training with the one magazine and the light on my belt and the problem went away.

Another question of your training: when you pull the gun do you also pull the ligth and assume the stance, can't remember the name, and shoot.
I make it a habit to carry the light in my hand as much as is possible while out at night. As far as drawing order I would imagine that would depend on what you were wearing. If you have on a polo or something of the sort you would need your weak hand to help get the shirt out of the way of your draw. I usually draw pistol then light if necessary in training. I have had decent luck drawing both light and pistol at the same time in an open front shirt but think it would be a lot to think about in a stressful situation. Everyone set me straight if that is bad advice though.

Grey Wolf
10-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Mil Novencientos Once,

FWIW I practice drawing from my triple retention holster at least 10 times everyday I put on my duty gear...

I also make sure my spray is in the holder right, make sure all my mags are loaded (in inserted in the mag pouches right)

and can not stand if my stinger(duty issue light I carry in my belt) is in the holder, anyway but with the button to the rear... I have (hopefully) traiend enough and ensure that my gear is where I want it to be effective when I need to be.

I keep my "torch" off hand on hip and spare mags off hand in front. I really feel it falls back to practice, practice and practice ten more times. Know your gear and where it is.

I won't mention the embarassment from the other night, on a Burg of Hab in progress call, around dusk.... when I pull out my stinger and it is dead B/C it some how was "knocked" on sometime... :eek:

nothing like telling you supervisoer..." I can not clear the house, sir...." He ays "Why not?" :confused:

They only thing I can say is..." My flashlight is dead sir..." Not something I plan on repeating anytyime soon :mad:

OK, Sorry for the rant...

Stay safe and..

billcameron
10-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I have bought two surefire lights from this firm and was happy. Have free postage.

http://www.lagger-pro.com/index.htm

Patrick Downs
10-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Grey Wolf,

Get a 6P or the like, and keep on duty belt as a backup light. I'm putting a the click-on/off tailcap on my 6P.

FWIW: I use a Pelican M10 Alkaline 4C cell # P-8040 light for the main light for reserve SO work (would like to get a Streamlight 20x sometime, or Surefire 9x). The Pelican is a good deal...Gall's sells them for about $35, and they are bright...seem to be about 80 lumens...brighter than the 6P, with a tighter beam at far distance. Waterproof, polymer, tough. Carry a spare bulb and batteries. http://www.pelican.com/lights.html

Good prices on SureFire lights:

http://www.islandsecuritystore.com/