PDA

View Full Version : Realiability of Benelli M1S90

ICEMAN
01-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Does anyone here know how to enhance the realiablility of the Benelli M1S90?
My Benelli does not eject the fired shells realiability..
The rounds that I am using are the Federal Tactical Loads.

Thanks
Larry

Omega
01-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately I can't help you, but I am curious to hear any feedback you get as I also have a Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical. Mine is a pre-ban model with the one piece magazine tube and fixed choke barrel.

I have talked to several people that have had some reliability problems with various loads &/or accessories but I'm lucky I guess, as I've never had a problem with mine; knock on wood. The only accessory on mine is a Surefire integrated fore-stock light.

Do you have any accessories on your like a side saddle for instance?
Have you tried different ammo just to isolate the problem and see if it does it with other loads or is it only the Federal low-recoil Tactical Buckshot?

I've fired:
Federal low-recoil Tactical Buckshot
Winchester Super-X Buckshot 2-3/4Ē & 3Ē
Winchester & Federal light target loads (birdshot) for training
Various Sabot slugs & Brennekes at the rifle range to check zero (and it shoots low)

For the Benelli I bought 4 cases of Winchester Super-X OO 9-shot buffered Buckshot for routine training and home defense use.

My Benelli used to be my primary home defense weapon, but has recently been subjugated to second string with a 5.56 carbine as my primary home defense weapon.
Reasons are it is easier for the wife to shoot the carbine, magazine capacity, reloading speed, and lower risk of over-penetration.

Yamdog
01-07-2004, 04:56 PM
We have two 14" barrel Entry Guns with Surefire Forends. They will not run reliably with the tactical stuff. They are good to go with the full mags though. I hear that the 18" M1 will run everything. I have one friend who says he has even hunted quail with 7 1/2 shot in his. We now only run full mags in ours for training and everything else.

Lee P. Lapin
01-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Larry,

Give Wolff a look, at
http://www.gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/Benelli_RsNF.html .
They make a reduced power recoil spring that helps M1's function with light loads. Adding accessories (like a full length mag extension and fore-end lights) adds weight to the gun and contributes to failure to function with the factory issue recoil spring. You'll want

RECOIL SPRING - 25% reduced power for use only with light loads.
Stock No. 16096.....$ 12.99 ea .

Good luck and stay safe,

lpl

Omega
01-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Larry,
Adding accessories (like a full length mag extension and fore-end lights) adds weight to the gun and contributes to failure to function with the factory issue recoil spring. You'll want

RECOIL SPRING - 25% reduced power for use only with light loads.
Stock No. 16096.....$ 12.99 ea .

Iím glad you brought this up, as this confuses the hell out of meÖ Iíve heard this a lot before and I donít dispute it, but I donít understand what causes this. Can somebody please explain this phenomenon?

Why would adding mass to the chassis/frame of a Benelli shotgun reduce the reliability?
Why does the shotgun care if it has a sidesaddle on it, or a light on the fore-stock?
When you pull the shotgun into the pocket of your shoulder and hold it tight, arenít you effectively increasing the mass of the recoiling system, why does this not affect the reliability of the system?

What is it about the inertial action that causes this, hell while your explaining it how does the Benelli actually cycle; what unlocks the bolt?

All I know is mine has worked well so far, but I always like to understand what is going on if I can.

Lee P. Lapin
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/inertia.tpl should handle the 'how it functions' part. And I hope it will explain the 'added weight' question too. A fairly frequent issue with Sidesaddles (especially on aluminum framed guns) unrelated to adding weight is that owners tend to over-tighten screws. That 'pinches' the receiver enough to bind on the bolt and make the gun sluggish or unreliable. Use the locking nut in the kit when installing them on aluminum receivers, without overtightening.

Hope this helps,

lpl

Omega
01-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Great link, thanks...

So if you place a Benelli against an Oak tree where the gun can't move, will it fail to unlock?

FedDC
01-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I know this is going to sound silly, but Macks Sport Shop in Stutgart Arkansas had some reliability enhancement packages for those guns. Duck hunters use basicly the same gun and they carry it in the rain/mud so they needed some help. A guy came up with a bunch of improved springs and whatnot. Check it out at http://www.mackspw.com/

http://www.mackspw.com/item.asp?UID=2004010920155766&item=SURBNL01&Tier1=&Tier2=&Tier3=&Tier4=&catTrack1=&catTrack2=&catTrack3=&catTrack4=&catTrack5=&MenSel=

Kilroy
01-10-2004, 06:08 AM
I experienced the same problem. Inconsistent performance marked several Benelli shotguns. Went to a "tactical" school taught by some west coast LE types. They clued me in to the secret of 100% reliability with the Benelli.

The key to this performance is to have your full time armorer inspect, clean and lube the Benelli every day, regardless of use.
Then, shoot only three inch magnum shells.

Then they work great.

I now carry a Remington 870 that has been to see Dr. Vang.

V42
01-10-2004, 08:59 PM
This is troubling. I have a pre-ban Benelli Super-90 which I have not fired in a while. Last time I fired it I am pretty sure that it worked with the Federal Tactical load.

However, my Benelli has no accessories whatsoever and a two piece extended magazine.

I dumped a Remington 1100 because it wasn't 100% and would certainly dump the Benelli and just stick with my Remington 870.

Hasher
01-11-2004, 10:58 AM
HMMMM I must have a good one then because mine will cyccle almost anything> Fed Tac. Estate Reduced recoil, trap loads. I only clean it once in a blue moon and just keep it lubed. I hav eonly had one failure to cycle correctly and tha twas with Rem Reduced recoil. Simple solution since that ammo ios Shite anyway I simply don't shoot it.

The comment about having a full time arnourer to deatail strip and lube it every day is BS. Every Benelli I have seen that has problems either needs to have the action lubed or cleaned, the side saddle loosened so it does not inpinge the reciever , or soem stuff taken off so it will cycle. Mine has a 4 round extension and a side saddle and it is 100% reliable. The one malfunction I did have had never occured again since I quit usingthat ammo. So to me its 100% reliable. I am going to try a Surefire fore end on it this year and I think it will not cause a problem. I will run at least 300+ round sthrough it before I deem it street/battle worthy. Any problems and they will be traced down and corrected. and more ammo fired to test the function.

BTW the new Hornaday TAP patterns even tighter than the Fed 00 or the Estate which patterned like magic.

Yamdog
01-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Hasher, what barrel length is your M1?

Hasher
01-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Hasher, what barrel length is your M1?

20 Inch barrel

Omega
01-12-2004, 05:44 PM
One point to keep in mind is that all M1s are not equal. Later models were indeed improved and modified so that they were more reliable with reduced recoil ammunition.

Do you know what specifically was changed, just curious?

Goldendog
01-18-2004, 10:55 PM
My M1 Tactical (super 90) is super reliable. The only malfunction I have had, I induced. I have all the garbage on mine, Surefire, sidesaddle. After I put the sidesaddle on I was concerned about malfunctions so I shot it from the hip, barely holding it and it had a failure to feed with some birdshot. It does seem sluggish since I put the sidesaddle on it.

MF

Kilroy
01-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Hasher's comment (..BS) not withstanding, the regimen I reported is for those that daily go in harms way and require a gun to function when needed. As the Benelli is the primary gun for the user, it must work all the time, every time. If it fits your MENS, then the maintenance is just the price of doing business.

Mack
02-03-2004, 09:10 PM
I guess I'm lucky, I have not had a malfunction. I was concerned when I first purchased it, like many have said that adding weight to it may cause a problem so I did not add a side saddle or flashlight etc. I usually use Federal Tacticle low recoil. mine has a 18" barrel. I took Gabe's shotgun class and he showed us how to use a flashlight easily with the shotgun. If it's a surefire tighten up the tail cap nearly to the point of it turning on, in your support side hand with the light next to the forend, squeeze and it will turn on...pretty slick.
Hasher, I'll have to give the Hornaday TAP a try. I like the Fed Tac, when I use my 18" 590A1 because it had a super tight pattern, people were asking me if I had it Vanged because it was tigher than many who had vanged barrels.
Kelly

CQC7
03-12-2004, 09:10 PM
The M1S90 is subject to being broken in. One must fire at the every least several hundred rounds for proper function. The Surefire tactical foreends may produce reliability issues but not after proper break in using full power loads. Changing springs and such I recomend against but thats just me personally. Proper cleaning is a must with these weapons. There is no finer shot gun produced today IMHO. Glad I found your board.

double down
05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Gentlemen, sorry to resurrect this thread after two months but it has been referenced several times in other discussions outside of this forum.

Let me share my personal experiences with you.

One of the biggest things to getting reliability from the M1 is using the correct lubrication and the correct amount of lubrication. With 50,000+ rounds through my M1 and zero fail to cycle situations using Rem Lube, I highly recommend using it and using it in moderation. A few drops through the trigger group, bolt head assembly, and a drop on each of the bolt rails is all you need. More than that and you risk debris build up and reliability issues. Recently I did some experimenting with Break Free and within 150 rounds started seeing failures on a repeat basis.

To maintain 100% cycle rates when you add mass with bolt on accessories and light recoil loads you have two options. Shoot heavy max power loads or lighten the bolt assembly and polish the guide rail contact areas of the bolt assembly. It's amazing what removing a few ounces of material does for reliability and increasing the speed of the gun.

I've played around with various recoil spring tubes and recoil tube springs and found no significant performance difference between the stock springs on the HK era Benelli, either of the newer Benelli springs, or the various aftermarket springs.

I've also experienced no significant difference in the cycle reliability of guns with different barrel lengths ranging from the 14" entry model up to the 26" field model.

talon
05-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I have shot lots of matches with mine, seldom clean it and it has never had a problem. I also used it in two training classes and at the end of the day my thumb hurt so bad I couldnt load it any more.

double down
05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I have shot lots of matches with mine, seldom clean it and it has never had a problem. I also used it in two training classes and at the end of the day my thumb hurt so bad I couldnt load it any more.

There is a modification to eliminate the "benelli thumb" problem. You can also wrap a little tape around your thumb if you know you're going to be loading a lot.

talon
05-20-2004, 07:13 PM
There is a modification to eliminate the "benelli thumb" problem. You can also wrap a little tape around your thumb if you know you're going to be loading a lot.
Can you point to more info on the mod ?

double down
05-20-2004, 07:54 PM
You can get it done at a few places.

jeff@c-rums.net

www.gramsengineering.com

www.triangleshootingsports.com

Here's some pictures of a stock carrier and a modified carrier. These are not my pictures and belong to a customer of Jeff at c-rums.

talon
05-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks a bunch.