PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try a Sentry Gun safe?

VaughnT
01-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I've been looking around for a safe for quite some time and think I'm going to have to settle on the Wallyworld "selection" for price concerns. Right now, they have the Sentry G7211 model for approx $350.

My biggest concern is value for the dollar. I'm not a scrooge, but I don't want to get ripped either.

I want a small safe that will secure my longarms and pistols. I want something easily moved as that might be a possibility in the next year. I figure that two smaller safes are better than one large safe; I can put them in closets or in separate rooms. Fireproofing is iffy but I wouldn't mind spending around $500 for something that was definitely better than this Sentry. Cost is a concern right now, but I'd rather spend twice the cost of a Homak gun locker to get something markedly more secure than a homak gun locker.

Does this make sense?

Vig Creed
01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Bear in mind that smaller safes can be easily picked up and carried off by burglars!

It is no problem moving large heavy safes to new locations. All you need is a heavy duty handtruck, a PU truck and 3-4 buddies to help.

creed

VaughnT
01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Copy that, Vig. I figure I'll bolt it to the wall after it's in place. I might even be able to fit it into my closet so it's out of sight.

The biggest problem is getting the most bang for the buck. As I see it, I'm better off spending twice as much as the Homak lockers for an obviously stronger weapons container. But, am I better off buying another brand of safe for a few dollars more? I don't want to get a giant as my floors won't support the weight and I might be moving in the new year.

It's a dilemma, for sure.

Just heard that Sam's Club has some Sentry safes for under two bills. Have to look in to that.

Vig Creed
01-07-2004, 09:26 AM
The small handgun safes I have in my vehicles are Sentry Safes from Walmart. They are heavy duty and as good as you'll find for the money ($35-$40).

Never have checked out their bigger safes.

creed

georgel
01-07-2004, 01:32 PM
VaughnT, check your Wally World. The one closest to me is clearing out the 10-Gun Sentry safes for $175. They only had a couple left.

VaughnT
01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Georgel, I was just in my local wally world and they had the G7211 marked down to $350. If you've got a similar model up your way, where are you? I don't mind a drive to save 50%!

I'll call around tomorrow after work to see what the other branches are asking.

Sorry I missed out on that Tractor Supply safe, but I was hoping I'd get it for Christmas. Guess my hints didn't hit the family hard enough!!! :mad:

georgel
01-07-2004, 08:46 PM
VaughnT, the Wal-Mart I went to is in the northern part of Charlotte, just off I-85 on JW Clay Blvd. I just tried calling them, to see what the model # was, but didn't get an answer?! I know it was a 10 Gun and looked like the ones on Sentry's site. I think they were the 3 bolt because it was relatively short like the 55" model.
I think the regular price was $249 ?

Just got through, it's a model 6210.

Nanuk
01-11-2004, 06:29 AM
I have the Sentry 14 gun. I like the safe. With all the ammo in the bottom it is going to be hard to carry off. I would like to have a fire proof safe, but theft is my greatest concern.

shane45
01-16-2004, 09:03 AM
I have the Sentry 14 gun. I like the safe. With all the ammo in the bottom it is going to be hard to carry off. I would like to have a fire proof safe, but theft is my greatest concern.

I also have this safe. Its not a browning or a liberty but for the money I think its great. I am strengthening the sub floor with some steel plate and bolting it down. I went to home depot and got a halogen under cabinet light to light up the safe. Works great. IIRC the safe is well over 200 pounds and once bolted down, isnt going anywhere easily.
Shane

avr1boards
02-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I just bought one of these safes today. So I was doing some searching and found this thread. I wanted to let you know walmart sees these as seasonal items. I called about 7 local walmarts and found 2 of them that had them I went to the closest one and got it for 225 plus tax so if you have not bought one I would suggest trying it. They had them in the wharehouse not out on floor so you need someone that will really check for you.. They had the 10 guns for 150.00. Just love getting a good deal figured I would share.