PDA

View Full Version : Grab N Stab Sheath - Please Read

Gabriel Suarez
03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Some guys have called saying their sheath is too tight. No, its not "too tight"...it is the way it is supposed to be...tight.

Is it tight? Yes it is. I specifically asked BT to make it that way for the simple reason that a tight sheath will not give up its knife at the wrong time...with possibly disastrous results.

I recall a "famous maker" knife sheath having a knife fall out and stick point up in a car seat with disastrous results for the knife owner. Thus the tightness rather than looseness.

How can you loosen it up for faster deployment? Insert and draw the knife approximately 200 times. That will sufficiently loosen things up without any problems. If you choose to loosen it up further via the usual use of heat on kydex, that is an option that you can use at your own discretion and risk.

Chris Upchurch
03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Don't withdraw the knife from the sheath namby-pamby like, yank it out of there like you're about to plunge it into someone's neck.

OdieWon
03-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I bought two of the textured grip before the other grips came out. Let me just say two things.

1. The grip is only too rough if you're some kind of f!king P!ssy. I love it.

and

2. The sheath is tight, and secure as it should be requiring deliberate action to deploy the weapon. If you think it's too tight follow Gabe's instructions and draw it forcibly 200 times or so. If you still think it's too tight, feel free to mail it to me directly and I'll work it out until I'm satisfied with it.

Seriously guys, there is always something to complain about. Mine are TIGHT. But they are only going to loosen up over time, and they are never going to get tighter again.

Thank you TSD for a great product, I've been lusting after this knife since the Gen I came out and I missed it. This is a tool that I will be putting into EDC immediately. Worth every penny.

Chris Upchurch
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
One note if people are having trouble with the sheath. Try the shock cord carry that Gabe describes here (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?97126-Shock-Cords-On-Knife-Sheaths). Rather than trying to tug the knife out of a stationary sheath, you've got the knife, sheath, and your forearm already moving when the cord brings the sheath to a sudden stop. You're basically pulling it out with momentum rather than trying to muscle it out.

chad newton
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't withdraw the knife from the sheath namby-pamby like, yank it out of there like you're about to plunge it into someone's neck.

Kinda like stowing magazines in a dump pouch, deliberate.:)

ss58
03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Thank you TSD for a great product, I've been lusting after this knife since the Gen I came out and I missed it. This is a tool that I will be putting into EDC immediately. Worth every penny.

+1000 on that. When I got mine I was in my Jeep and stopped right at the mailbox to open it like a kid at Christmas. After playing with it in the driveway I stuck it up on the visor and it's a GREAT location while in the vehicle. I could even put hands up in a non aggressive gesture...hmmmmmm es velcro is coming out. I think I need one in the vehicle just in case some asshole was stupid enough to reach in. Now I think I need a textured for EDC...maybe the wifes car????

As far as calling about the sheath too tight, I'd be afraid I would be banned for being a pussy.....just sayin'

Sam

Gabriel Suarez
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Back in the day we had this one gent who was, well....let's just say he liked his food. He bought some sort of "police knife" that came in the "then new" kydeex sheath. Sheath was loose and he would practice popping that thing out all the time. Wanting more speed he made the sheath looser.

Well...make a long story short, he got out of his UC ride one day and the knife fell out of his sheath. Talk about Murphy....the knife landed handle first into the crease of the seat...pointing up! Well...you know where this is going. Our buddy Jabba plops back into his ride and gets a full 3" of "police knife" right up the Kazoo.

Paramedics saved his life, but that was a lesson I will not forget. My sheaths will be tight. Feel free to loosen them, but then that action is all you boys and girls. Training, which so many modern people seem allergic to, it the solution. Grab and Stab 200 times and I suspect the sheath will not be as tight as it once was.

Mike Heckathorn
03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
If the sheath is securely attached to the belt, who gives a f&!k if it's tight? Had an emerson la griffe fall out of it's sheath in an apartment parking lot... A custom sheath was made shortly after. Hopefully, when I get it, my gns won't need a custom sheath! If Gabe says it's gtg, I trust him! Tight means secure. And thats what I like.

blackballed
03-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Sheath on my first knife is actually really loose. Hold it upside down and it will fall right out. Figured I would just heat it to tighten it.

No biggie, as I already ordered a second.

TFA303
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Heck, how do you think you're supposed to draw it? It's called the "Grab and Stab", not the "Pluck and Poke"!