PDA

View Full Version : Grab N Stab Update

Gabriel Suarez
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I have the blades....I have the grips. These will be assembled on Saturday, and ship out Monday. The sheaths have been delayed, but we will ship those under seperate packaging (at no additional cost) a few weeks later.

jasonbtx
03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
F Yeah!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

dbljboxer
03-15-2012, 01:50 PM
yeeeesssss!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!

Barker
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for getting those out.

Crusader8207
03-15-2012, 02:31 PM
freakin AWESOME!!!!!

MesserMan
03-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Woo Hoo!! Can't wait for next payday!

OdieWon
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I am looking forward to the GnS but I don't know that you need to spend the extra shipping to send it separate. I can wait for mine until the sheaths for both are in.

Just sayin' I'm flexible, that's all.

TACC
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Great Deal

gssc
03-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Assembled over the weekend. Sounds like the Junior Team will be earning their allowances!

Gabriel Suarez
03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
We do not believe in allowances....in our tribe we have salaries. And the extra money to send the sheath seperately is not a big deal....I'd rather you guys get these sooner rather than later.

Chris Upchurch
03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
We do not believe in allowances....in our tribe we have salaries. And the extra money to send the sheath seperately is not a big deal....I'd rather you guys get these sooner rather than later.

Yet another example of OST's great customer service.

Gabriel Suarez
03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
So I get this call from Blade-Tech....

They will ship my sheaths immediately. Should be at TSD mid week. All knife orders will ship immediately upon their arrival - WITH THE SHEATH!

OdieWon
03-18-2012, 12:29 PM
HOOORAH!

THAT is good news El Jefe!

Barker
03-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Better yet!!! Thanks.

Fess Earl
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Nice example of how we make our own luck.

By choosing to move forward on the project, the project has chosen to move forward too. :cool:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to receiving mine!

Mike Skulls
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
now the fun of watching my mailbox for the next week. i feel like a kid before xmas.

Awake
03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
What do you recommend to coat the handle for corrosion resistance. In the tropics, sweat could be an issue on the oxide finish, but oil in the handle can make the handle slippery. Dry lube?

Cerakoting perhaps?

Gabriel Suarez
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
There are two handle styles. One has the TSD Grip texture. A later model will have simple anodizing. The grips are aluminum and thus no worries. On the corrosion thing....some perspective. The people that did all their fighting with blades from the Vikings to the Conquistadors...and even the guys in WW2 all used carbon steel with no problems at all. A light coating of anything will work. The spaniards used pig fat as I recall reading.

DogDoc
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I find carrying a pig in the jungle cumbersome. Plus, they scream bloody murder and give away your position every time you grease your knife. ;0)

Doc

SqueeDAB
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
What do you recommend to coat the handle for corrosion resistance. In the tropics, sweat could be an issue on the oxide finish, but oil in the handle can make the handle slippery. Dry lube?

Cerakoting perhaps?

You won't need to coat the handle. Probably not the blade either (at least not often).

Mineral oil, WD40, gun oil, olive oil (on the kitchen blades :biglaugh:). Any oil will work in a pinch. Even some "nose grease" will get the job done.

Awake
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I was thinking more on the piece of 0-1 exposed by the handles, I'm assuming the handles are bolted slabs not fully enclosing the handle steel (cannot appreciate that from the pictures). The blade is easy, probably nothing is needed there, but I don't want the exposed steel on the handle to get rusty but neither slippery. I can use a swab with some oil on just the oxide visible strip and leave the aluminum dry.

Gabriel Suarez
03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Awake....it was not a big deal for Cortez...it will not be a big deal to you. I have been carrying carbon knives for years in the field and they will not rust into hulks like the stainless jockeys would have us think.

SqueeDAB
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I've been carrying an ESEE Izula 2 (made of 1095 carbon steel) for 2 years. I stripped the protective coating off the blade about 6 months into owning it.

I live in a city in the middle of a swamp. It's 85+ degrees 9 months out of the year w an average humidity level of 70%. I sweat a lot.

ZERO problems with rust. Regular use and a touch of oil every now and then...good to go.

Brute1100
03-19-2012, 06:00 PM
What kind of oil do you use that doesn't taste like crap when you cut your steak with it? I try to use it as much as u can But protecting the blade becomes an issue when. You don't want your ribeye tasting like wd-40...

Awake
03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Olive oil or mineral oil should be neutral enough and food safe.

Brute1100
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Olive oil or mineral oil should be neutral enough and food safe.

Does it provide the anti rust stuff...

blackballed
03-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Works on my dutch ovens... but then again, they're iron.

Benjamin Liu
03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
A coated carbon steel blade will resist rust better than a typical stainless blade and much better than a bead blasted stainless blade.

I've used my Cold Steel Recon Tanto since 1997 and never oiled it and the only oxidation is a patina on the edge.

blackballed
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
The carbon steel we have has held up better under use than the stainless knives. When I was younger, I thought the stainless was supposed to be rust proof, and found out it isn't. The carbon steel may require a little more TLC from time to time, but seems to last a lot longer/better under constant use.

Seem that is the case with a lot of things... the things that require a little maintaining can last forever because they are maintained as opposed to stuff that is touted as being maintenance free and never maintained.

SqueeDAB
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Re: Olive Oil; yes, it will prevent the oxidation that causes red rust (and it won't taste like you cooked your meal in a diesel engine).

The "patina" that forms on a blade is black oxidation and will act as a protective coating.

"In the field", especially on a hot day, I'll run a finger along side my nose and wipe those oil secretions on my knife after using it. Not what you want to do with a kitchen blade, but it works as a quick solution when your on the trails.

I don't really care for stainless steel anymore (except for a few Spydercos in VG10). Endura stays clipped to pocket, and I have a Spyderco Temperance 1 fixed blade for boat trips. All of my other knives are carbon steel, and I have yet to have a problem with rust (that I didn't cause by being neglectful and outright dumb).

SqueeDAB
03-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I try to use it as much as u can

This is the best thing you can do with your knife-use it for everything. One, you probably paid good money for it; might as well get your money's worth. Two, you learn your knife (how well it holds an edge, what its limits are, its weight and balance and difference grip points). And a knife that's used often is a well-cared for knife; it is not one that will be rusting away in a cabinet somewhere.

Awake
03-20-2012, 04:49 AM
Rust (Oxidation or Ferric Oxide) is a chemical reaction with oxygen and the iron in the steel alloy, the oils acts as an oxygen barrier basically, especially the oxygen in H2O (water, moisture, sweat etc...). Since oil and water don't mix the water will be repelled.

The black oxide has the property like parkerizing of being very porous, dry by itself will soak moisture but if you coat it with oil it will fill those pores with oil creating a water resistant media.

SqueeDAB
03-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Rust (Oxidation or Ferric Oxide) is a chemical reaction with oxygen and the iron in the steel alloy, the oils acts as an oxygen barrier basically, especially the oxygen in H2O (water, moisture, sweat etc...). Since oil and water don't mix the water will be repelled.

The black oxide has the property like parkerizing of being very porous, dry by itself will soak moisture but if you coat it with oil it will fill those pores with oil creating a water resistant media.

Nice. I didn't know the specific chemistry/physics. Thanks for this bit of info.