PDA

View Full Version : swollen G17 mags

MacEntyre
02-16-2012, 05:13 AM
I bought a vintage gen1 G17 with two factory mags... a 17 round mag and a +2 mag that holds 19 rounds. When I load these mags up, they work just fine... but they are tight in the gun, and won't drop freely when full.

Two mags are not enough anyway, so I found a deal and bought Glock factory 17 round mags for $20 each. When I load these mags up, they also work just fine, and they drop freely when full or empty.

Found another deal and bought Korean 17 round mags for $10 each. When I load these mags up, they also work just fine, and they drop freely when full or empty.

Anyone ever find that their old, original Glock factory mags swell slightly when they are full, so that they don't drop freely when full?

- MacEntyre

irishmike
02-16-2012, 05:52 AM
The original Glock mags are supposed to be not drop-free, that was one of the things changed from Gen 2 to 3 I believe(?).

Barker
02-16-2012, 06:42 AM
As Mike said original Glock mags did not drop free. It was written up at the time that in combat loosing the mag was a problem. Whether that was a design feature or an early consequence of a polymer mag, I don't know.

If I remember correctly they had a "U" shaped notch in the top where current "drop free" have a square notch and you see the metal liner of the mag.

GRT45
02-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Below is a link with some background and information on the original Non-Fully Metal Lined (NFML) Non-Drop Free (NDF) Glock mags and the later Fully Metal Lined (FML) Drop Free (DF) mags.

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=glock_faq_magazine_information

Gun Mutt
02-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Yeah, those weird Austrian honchos didn't think it was a good idea for troops to be dropping magazines all willy nilly. The American market however....

Jon Payne
02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
They are fine. They aren't even marked 9mm IIRC. I have one for my Glock 17 and one for my Glock 19. I use them for training only, but have had no issues with them. I rip my mags out anyway so I don't even notice the non-drop free mags most of the time.

Jack Rumbaugh
02-16-2012, 07:03 AM
I think the idea was a full mag would stay in the gun and as it emptied, it would tend to be more "drop-free". I have a G19 mag that the witness holes have cracked, it's so old.

MacEntyre
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
If I remember correctly they had a "U" shaped notch in the top where current "drop free" have a square notch and you see the metal liner of the mag.
That is consistent with my vintage mags... U shaped notch in the top rear.

I've sold these vintage mags, and replaced the original sights with Ameriglo DeFoors (Savigny carry wannabe sights) so the old G17 is no longer original... just vintage.

Thanks for the information, folks!

- MacEntyre

Netpackrat
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I recall reading many years ago that originally Austrian troops were only issued one mag with each of their Glocks. Under that circumstance, magazine retention would be a bit more important than ability to drop the magazine quickly one handed.