PDA

View Full Version : Double stack vs. single stack - your opinions please

garrettwc
12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
I was reading an article on the history of the Browning HiPower.

The 13 rd mag capacity was one of the design features discussed.

The author stated that the reason behind the hi-cap mag was largely misunderstood. Popular thought is that it allows you to carry more ammo. The author states that the real reason was to reduce the number of manipulations needed to keep the gun in the fight. I.E. 1x13 with no reload vs. 2 x7 with a reload.

What do you think of this theory? For general CCW, which do think is more useful? A bigger gun that reduces the likelihood of reloading or a smaller (more concealable) gun?

Take caliber out of the issue since there are doubles and singles available in every popular defense caliber.

Bodfish
12-30-2003, 06:10 PM
I think that most agree that the primary purpose of the double stack magazine is increase the number of rounds that can be fired without reloading. The fact of double stacks allowing one to carry more ammo seems to be secondary. One can still carry as much ammo with single stack magazines. It just requires carrying more magazines.
I don't think that one can generalize as to which is better for concealed carry. Double vs. single stack is but one of many factors that must be taken into account when one is deciding on which weapon best suits one's concealed carry needs.

garrettwc
12-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I think that most agree that the primary purpose of the double stack magazine is increase the number of rounds that can be fired without reloading. The fact of double stacks allowing one to carry more ammo seems to be secondary. One can still carry as much ammo with single stack magazines. It just requires carrying more magazines.

I came to that realization after reading the article. It seems so common sense now but had never occured to me before.

garrettwc
12-30-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't think that one can generalize as to which is better for concealed carry. Double vs. single stack is but one of many factors that must be taken into account when one is deciding on which weapon best suits one's concealed carry needs.

The quote function is driving me nuts tonight!! Sorry if the second post wasn't clear. I was responding to your first paragraph.

In response to your second, let me say that I realize it is one of many factors. I am just looking for some expert input on this particular factor and how it affects your considerations.

Ragsbo
12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
To me it makes sense to have as many rounds available with the least fiddling around. Now there does come a time when rationality must come in to play. A 100 round magazine could not be rationally be considered as a concealable option. You must weigh the two= more ammo or better hiding, and come to a compromise between the two. It depends upon the person and the circumstances. There can not be a hard set rule.

Bodfish
12-31-2003, 07:35 AM
IMO, if you find a double stack pistol in the caliber you want that is concealable (in your desired carry mode), that you can shoot very well (often dependent on hand size with double stacks), that has the safety devices with which you are comfortable, that is highly reliable and that has preban high capacity magazines available for it, that would likely be your best choice for CCW. This may seem like a round-about answer, but only because there is no "perfect" pistol out there, and whether or not a pistol is double stack should not be the primary determining factor in your selection.

Vig Creed
12-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Carrying concealed when not really expecting trouble, I almost always carry smaller, lighter, more concealable guns than I might otherwise. Why? Because carrying 24/7 is uncomfortable with wider, longer, heavier guns.

creed

Dave T
01-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Do I understand correctly that your theory is:

You don't carry double stack guns for the greater capacity but rather so you won't have to reload as often?????

Is it me or does this not make any sense? The reason you have fewer "manipulations" is because "...it allows you to carry more ammo."

garrettwc
01-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Dave, it's not my theory, it's the theory of the author I was reading.

It does seem like a chicken and egg thing, but the idea was, instead of carrying 2 - 7 round mags and needing to reload, you would carry one 15 round mag. Remeber the BHP was a military pistol and the thinking was if you could carry your total load out of ammo with the fewest manipulations required that would be a good thing. The idea wasn't to increase the sum total of your ammo carried, just make more of it available all at once.

Dave T
01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Garrett,

Didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on you. My comments were really dircted at the author of that "theory".

As you so well put it, it is kind of a chicker or egg argument. If I was to take a position on the single stack side it would be that the slimmer profile might (notice I said "might") be easier to conceal, even for two magazines than a single "thick" double stack. I don't think this has much application to the military but civilian concealed carry or undercover/off duty carry for LEOs might find the slimmer profile more comfortable.

After 20+ years of carrying 1911s (single stacks) I spent 4 years carrying 45 caliber Glocks (the thick ones). Last year when I switched back to the 1911 I was a little surprised at how much slimmer they seemed to be. Admittedly this is more a matter of perseption than anything. After all, I did manage to conceal those Glocks (21 & 30) for 4 years.

garrettwc
01-03-2004, 12:43 AM
Not to worry Dave, I took it OK. Was just giving credit where due.