PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Choices

EDinFL
09-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Hi, Gents....new member here, very informative site. I have a few questions on 870 shotguns.
1) Is there a differance between the 870 in my closet and the
870 police?
2) Should I buy a barrel and mag extension for the shotgun I
already own or buy a dedicated defense shotgun?
3) Can you even buy a 870 police if your not an LEO?

Thanks for any responses to these simpleton questions. :confused:

Rex G
09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
(1) First, it depends on which 870 you have in your closet. Is the shell lifter slotted? The 870P got the slotted shell lifter quite a while before the other 870 models. The slotted lifter prevents a double-feed from causing a stoppage. The 870P may have certain sturdier internal parts. (2) A shorter barrel will make the weapon handier in most environments. Extended mag tubes are not a good idea. (Please read Gabe's thread!) (3) Yes. Welcome to WT! :)

Dr.T
09-15-2005, 01:09 PM
The 870 P is definitely a heavier-duty gun. It also does have the "flexitab" shell lifter. All-around, it's a better defense gun, and I too like the standard magazine tube.

Ne-waza
09-15-2005, 04:25 PM
My 870 Police Magnum came out of the box with a two-shot Remington extension tube already on it. Why is it a bad idea to have two extra shots?

Nnobby45
09-22-2005, 04:46 AM
My 870 Police Magnum came out of the box with a two-shot Remington extension tube already on it. Why is it a bad idea to have two extra shots?

It's not as long as you understand that some feel the extra rds. aren't necessary for solving any likely problem, and for some, the gun doesn't handle quite as quick. Doesn't slow me down to any significant degree.

I like it because it allows me the option of loading 6rds., or downloading by one so the mag. spring isn't weakened by keeping the mag. loaded for long periods of time. A standard shotgun would be downloaded by one and have three rds. to fight with. If I have a little warning I have six in the tube plus one. If not, I still have 5 rds at instant disposal with cruiser ready. :cool:

Ne-waza
09-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks Nnobby45. I'm with you on this one. I feel better with the two extra rounds for the reasons you gave. It sounds like the only reason to limit the capacity is for a slightly better-handling shotgun.

Ne-waza
09-22-2005, 07:13 AM
sbeckman, I have a friend who has a Benelli M1 Super 90 and one of the new M4s. He also has a few Remington 870s. I like his M1 the best; it is the lightest of the bunch, which I like, and it is a flawless performer. I saw his M4 malfunction several times with OOO 3" magnums.

I would say go with a dedicated pump or a dedicated semi-auto. If you can deal with the the recoil of the M1, I say go that route. If you go with a pump, take a look at either the Remington 870 or an older Ithaca 37; both are extremely durable pumps. I prefer the 37 with its bottom eject and lighter weight/slimmer profile, but that's just me.

michael
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I have an 870 Marine Magnum with extended mag, synthetic stocks and tritium front sight, along with a sling and butt cuff. I like the extended mag. My SG is for securing an ensconced position, not searching out bad guy's where handling is important, and in that scenario, the more ammo the better.

Chuck Burnett
09-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Steve,
Check your Polite society P.M.

I've only seen a few M3s come through classes. The students have generally run them as semi-autos and only occasionally locked up the foreend to pump them.
I have almost no trigger time on them so I really can't give you an appropriate evaluation of how well they sort as an "either-or" semi/pump.
The big problem with cool options is you have to put in the time to make using the options nearly reflexive.
The option to switch to pump mode to fix a malfunction is only as useful as the speed and efficacy with which you can do it under pressure.
More options=more decision points=more time.
Can I rack-roll an M1 faster than I can slide my hand up, rotate a control, and rack-roll an M3?
The M3 forend is going to give more "umphh" on a stuck case but the extractor/rim interface is the real weak point anyway.

Does a benelli with proven ammo malfunction enough that this is an important question?

The M1s are the most common autoloader we see, and other than being a little finicky with light birdshot loads they generally run very well.
They are very light, quick handling guns.( Assuming you haven't hung too much aftermarket gedunk on them.)
The M1 would be my personal choice.
I have heard some good comments about the M4 I haven't seen enough of them to venture a useful opinion.

If you consider an Ithaca 37, have a gunsmith check it for wear.
They're cool guns, but when they malfunction they can be a beeyotch to clear.

I'm not a fan of huge mags but I agree that 4+1 isn't much if you keep the gun cruiser ready with an empty chamber.

chuck

Dr.T
09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I've heard good and not-so-good things about most self-defense shotguns. Right now, if I went with an auto dedicated for self-defense it would be the Remington 870 P. The ones I've shot have worked well. With respect to a pump, I have a lot of experience with 870s and the 870 P just works very well. I do like the way it balances better with the shorter magazine tube.