PDA

View Full Version : Martial Blade Camp 2005

Charles Rives
09-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Last weekend, I attended the Martial Blade Camp event in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado. I can't say enough good things about it. The setting, the training and the other people in the class made for a great experience.

Mike Janich is a fantastic instructor! He's very clear in his instruction and is very sensitive to what each student needs to help become a better fighter. Mike is very observant and seems to provide just the perfect injects to help you move forward. He's done a lot of eclectic training can work with you to help you incorporate the knife and knife-based techniques into whatever skillset you already have.

Training consisted of knife, counter-knife, stick, machete, and empty hand techniques. The group did most things together but split into advanced and beginner groups for sessions where that made the most sense. You get to work with a lot of people of different builds, skillsets, and ability levels in this camp. You can really grow in an opportunity like that. The machete training was really unique. It's an interesting weapon that can work as either a knife or a stick. It is a stronger extreme close range weapon than I had ever guessed. We all got neat trainer Barongs (a Phillipino machete) from Edges 2 to use during training.

Class was made up of a twenty three very skillful and knowledgeable guys. When we weren't training, we shared a lot of knowledge, insight and information as well as a bunch of joking banter over some sudsy beverages at the end of each day.

Thanks to generous sponsorship by Blackhawk Products Group, Paladin Press, Spyderco, and Edges 2 participants received some really nice gifts and door prizes. I added up the retail value of the goodies that I came home with and it came to several hundred dollars worth of gear. As if the training, lodging, and meals weren't a good value in their own right, these generous companies sent me home feeling like a kid the day after Christmas.

The camp ran from Friday afternoon through Monday afternoon. It was held on the grounds of the beautiful YMCA of the Rockies near Estes Park, Colorado. It's 8600 feet above mean sea level. So, you get some absolutely fantastic scenery to enjoy on top of the training and friendships.

Be sure to consider the Martial Blade Concepts - Martial Blade Camp and attend the next event if you are able.

Chuck Rives

st8edge
09-01-2005, 07:30 PM
The camp was informative,fun,exhausting and had great fellowship. I am impressed with the work Mike put into making the system easy to understand and connected in the progression from one angle of attack to another.
Although there was a lot of information I believe one is able to pratice the system at home after the camp is long over. The tapes that have been produced already on Fighting Folders and Advanced Fighting folders at Paldin Press are "must have" if one wants to make this system a usable system and not just a fun event that happened one weekend in the beautiful Rocky Mtns.
Thanks Mike for sharing your knowledge and having Asst. Instructors who were just as interested in helping us as you are.

michael
09-01-2005, 07:58 PM
I borrowed his book from a good friend here on WT, and I am impressed with his material. I hope to attend the camp sometime in the next year or two. It's on my list--but it seems my list keeps getting longer.:eek::cool:

Glad to here it was great training and that you guys enjoyed it.

2edgesword
09-02-2005, 05:53 AM
I'd like to ditto Chris Rivas on MBC 2005. Michael Janich is a class act. He's not only an outstanding martial artists, he is an excellent teacher (the two don't always go together), a walking encyclopedia of martial arts knowledge and a genuinely nice guy. He is also armed with a very quick sense of humor.

I traveled over 1,000 miles to attend the camp. The training and instruction Michael provide made the trip a very worthwhile experience. The beauty of Estes Park, CO and the Rockies along with the camaraderie shared among the martial artist that attended the camp was icing on the cake.

Paul Harris

fifthprofession47
09-02-2005, 12:23 PM
This was my second year at Martial Blade Camp. It just keeps on getting better. Michael Janich continues to deliver fun, fast paced and informative training on numerous subjects as well as providing lasting memories for all in attendance.

This year was especially memorable. My best friend, Ethan Jensen, 38, lost his battle with cancer and passed away the Sunday before camp. Ethan was a lifelong martial artist who specialized in edged weapons and had completed MBC levels 1-4 with Mike. I was touched to see that Mike had dedicated this year's event to Ethan! Mike announced this dedication on the cover of the event schedule as well as taking a moment to personally remember Ethan during the opening moments of the camp. Several in attendance had known Ethan as well and we all enjoyed a toast to his memory with 21-year-old scotch. Rest in Peace my friend.

I personally want to thank Mike for all the hard work he put into this year's event. I learned a great deal, improved on my existing skill sets and had fun the entire time. Mike and his assistant instructors really are a class act. A better training experience would be hard to find.

Charles Rives
09-03-2005, 02:16 AM
Favorite among the things that everyone came away from camp with is this Mickey Yurko Custom knife. It has genuine rayskin beneath the Japanese style silk-wrapped handle. The blade geometry and ergonomics are absolutely perfect for MBC-style knife-handling.

Charles Rives
09-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Here's a detail shot of the custom wrap handle.

michael
09-03-2005, 04:56 AM
That's one sweet blade. Is he going to offer them for sale?

fifthprofession47
09-03-2005, 09:19 AM
It was my understanding that the Yurco Ronin was especially comissioned for the camp. They each are individually serial numbered with a matching number on the sheath. One thing I did notice is that the number on mine is 1948, indicating to me that it was the 1,948 in a run. Who knows?? Mike stated that Mr. Yurco crafted these with limited notice so I'd venture to guess that there were only about 30-35 made. (I counted about 25 participants at the camp give or take a few). I will google Mr. Yurco and see if any information is on his web site.

michael
09-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks FP47. That's kind of what I figured, but it would be a nice one to own.

fifthprofession47
09-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately I did not find a web site by Mr. Yurco. I did find other knives he has created so he does have a presence on the web. I have his business card at home and will have to reference it later tonight.

fifthprofession47
09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Mr. Yurco does not advertise and does not have a web presence, but I did just run across a small bio about Mr. Yurco on the Hideaway Knife web page. Go to the Hideaway Knife web site and click on "collaborations" for the bio.

michael
09-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I got the info I needed by PM, thanks.

Mickey
11-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Guys,
I made the Camp knives for Mike Janich.We exchanged ideas on the design,and, decided on the one pictured.It was an honor to be asked to make the 2005 MBC Camp Blades.Mike travels to Grove City Ohio to teach at Dave Holloway's Karate school several times a year.It is about a 3 hour drive from My house.I have attended his classes 5 or 6 times.The curriculum is very structured.One block builds upon the other.No BS techniques,just simple court defensible moves.Sign up for Mike's course when you can.It's awesome.
The Knife is 440c Stainless ,with White Rayskin underwrap.The cord is soaked in epoxy.The Kydex sheath attaches to the belt with a mini TecLok.I number my blades in the order that they are made, so, I can keep track of how many I have made.My name,type of steel, and, serial # are stamped on the blade.I was pleased with the way these Knives turned out.I was hoping that the Camp Attendee's felt the same way.
I do not have a website, but, do attend several of the major Knife shows each year.
Mickey Yurco

fifthprofession47
01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Mr. Yurco,

Thanks for posting here! I was one of the people who received one of your knives at MBC camp. I love it!