PDA

View Full Version : 9mm in a Springfield XD40 Mag?

sween1911
12-29-2003, 06:45 AM
I was involved in a discussion about someone claiming that it's possible to stuff 17 rounds of 9mm in a Springfield XD40 magazine. I've never tried it and no one involved in the discussion had, they just "heard it".

Anyone try this? Is it a load of crap? If it worked, would it be against the law?

DaveJames
12-29-2003, 08:13 AM
This has been discussed several times over at their site, and it appears to work just fine,pop over there and do a search, its a good group and you can get answers to your questions

sween1911
12-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the info! What site are you referring to? The conversation I had about the mag wasn't on an internet site, it was a text-based BBS, BTW. Nothing about that is on Springfield's site.

-Joe

MTS
12-29-2003, 11:54 AM
I've seen it discussed here;

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

FWIW I've carried a XD-9 off duty for almost 2 years and on duty for almost a year and I just got the 15 round LEO mags a month ago and in that time I did not feel "out bulleted".

Is there some reason you would rather buy a XD-40 mag and screw around with the feed lips then buying a pre-ban Beretta or SIG mag and drilling a hole in the front of the mag?

sween1911
12-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I've seen it discussed here;

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

FWIW I've carried a XD-9 off duty for almost 2 years and on duty for almost a year and I just got the 15 round LEO mags a month ago and in that time I did not feel "out bulleted".

Is there some reason you would rather buy a XD-40 mag and screw around with the feed lips then buying a pre-ban Beretta or SIG mag and drilling a hole in the front of the mag?

Mark,

I was unaware of the pre-ban Beretta and SIG fitting. I'll hafta do some more looking around! Thanks for the info!

MTS
12-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Do a search there for "Magazine Modifications" and it should bring up the info.

I know that Beretta and SIG mags work and I am sure that others will as well.

Good Luck.

VaughnT
12-29-2003, 04:47 PM
I've heard the XD40 mag story countless times over at www.thehighroad.org and I don't see any reason to discount it as these are seemingly good people. No modifications to the mag body were reported as necessary.

On that issue, so long as you don't modify the magazine so that it no longer functions as intended by the manufacturer, for the weapon so designated, you should be all right, legally. That isn't to say that some DA wouldn't have a field-day with you in court, should it ever come to that.

ajamesp51
12-29-2003, 04:55 PM
The factory xd mags blend in perfect and wont break you ejectors, the berreta sig ant other mags that work all stick out about a 1/4 and in so if you slam it home you will snap off that ejector. the good news I have posted how to fix it at xdtalk and it only takes about 3 min for your first time. And the pistol still works without the ejector. The 4 xd-40 mags that I own none have had to have the feed lips squezed together. And at the springfield compition in Memphis I must have used at least 2o different xd-40/357 mags with 9mm and never had any problems. The problem is that the feed lips are wider on the xd-40 mags becuase the 40 cal is a bigger dieameter round. Well if you put the 9mm in the xd-40 mag the follower may engage the slide stop with one round left in the mag. By squezzing the lips it will push the round further down into the mag just enough that the follower wont touch the slide stop.

By the way if you take an LEO mag a 12 rnd xd-40/357 mag it will fit 17 rounds of 9mm. even better then the 15rnd 9mm leo mag.

MTS
12-29-2003, 04:58 PM
You need to bend the feed lips in a little to properly hold the 9mm case.

You are OK as far as ATF is concerned as long as it will still function properly in a XD-40.

sween1911,

IIRC most people try to get hi-cap SIG mags because there is already a hole in the front of the mag in the proper location though it still needs some fitting.

ajamesp51
01-07-2004, 07:34 PM
in 9/357/40 the followers for the xds are the same and the bodies of the 357/40 are the same just base plates are marked in caliber.
As for the springs in 4 and 5 inch models all springs are the same, but in the subcompacts mags the spring is longer (the spring limits capacity) there are no indentaions, and the body for the sub 9 and 40 are the same. So if you put a spring for the full sized guns in the sub compact mag you can fit 11 rnds of 9mm but this would be illegal since you are defieting the limiter. But if you grab a sub 40 mag you can fit more then ten rounds in it without doing anything but squeezing the lips. Which still allows your mag to work in both the 40 and 9mm. By the way squeezing the mag lips dont make it work it just pushes the last round of 9mm down enough that the slide wont lock back with one round left in the chamber. If you are worried about any one asking if you modified the mag load 15 and stop at 14 fired drop the mag and load again.