PDA

View Full Version : The Naked Edge: The Complete Guide to Edged Weapon Defense

Charles Rives
12-27-2003, 12:42 PM
The Naked Edge: The Complete Guide to Edged Weapon Defense by Steve Tarani, Unique Publications, 2002 ISBN: 0-86568-207-0.

Tarani did a great job on this book. I really enjoyed the clarity of the writing, instructional style, and illustrations.

The book is very cogent. All parts of it flow together well and create a nice systematic approach to the topic of empty hand defense against the knife. Tarani emphasizes that the best way to defend empty-handed against the knife is to get as far away as possible as fast as possible. The first half of the book deals with this most important part of knife defense and how to achieve the goal. He spends a bit on improvised shields and weapon of opportunity use against knife wielders. After that, he deals with blocks, parries, and evasive footwork as a means to escape. Finally, he begins control techniques, takedowns and disarms but warns heavily that these carry a much higher level of risk than escape techniques.

I particularly liked Tarani’s nomenclature for techniques. He has very descriptive names for all of his technique. For example, a downward and outward block that’s performed with the same motion as closing a car door, he calls: “closing the car door.”

Tarani uses photos and drawings at different points in the book wherever one will provide better clarity over the other.

None of the techniques in this book are “advanced” or complex. The techniques are simple and straightforward. The book would make an excellent companion text to a one or two-day self defense seminar.

I only wish that Tarani had expanded the scope of the book just a little. I would have liked to have seen an additional chapter applying the same principles and techniques against some other weapons and against empty-handed attacks. I think Tarani could have done that very easily and would have added something to the value of the book. (I think the biggest difference would have been learning to overcome the range and meeting distance of medium and long-range hand-held weapons.)

After reading this book, I’ve become interested in seeking out more material and instruction from Tarani.

- Chuck

Ted T.
12-28-2003, 12:12 PM
"After reading this book, I’ve become interested in seeking out more material and instruction from Tarani."

- Chuck

I'm glad to see that he has put more thought into this effort than he did in the Gunsight Defensive Techniques: Walking Stick video. The stick vid seemed to be a rush job with little thought, perhaps to get on the cane band wagon.

His cane tech. were needlessly complicated and did not address the issue of adrenaline in the least. He had a small lady stop a big attacker who was rushing her (stop him dead in his tracks) with a downward stab into his foot. If she even managed to hit his foot, it seems unlikely an adult criminal would be deterred by such a thing.

In more than one combo, the bad guy is waiting for the 2 or 3 steps of the victim to be acomplished, the old "frozen bad guy" fallacy...oh well.

So, when you look for his stuff, the cane vid has caveat emptor written all over it.