PDA

View Full Version : I wonder how true all this is...

Cold War Scout
08-17-2005, 11:37 AM
The US company Epi Security & Investigation says it has hired some 1,000 Colombian military and police veterans to work as mercenaries for the US occupation in Iraq. Epi is operating from a house near a US air base in the Ecuadoran city of Manta. The Bogota daily El Tiempo reported on Aug. 12 that the Colombian mercenaries receive salaries of between $2,500 and $5,000 a month--less than half the
salary charged by their US counterparts. Most of the mercenaries are retired military officers or police agents who were trained by the US military and are accustomed to working with US troops. (La Jornada, Mexico, Aug. 13)

Ecuador's minister of government, Mauricio Gandara, responded on Aug. 13 by announcing he will order an immediate investigation into Epi Security's activities in Ecuador. Speaking from New York, where he was on a private visit, Gandara described the company's recruitment
of mercenaries as illegal and immoral. More than a year ago, the Latin American Human Rights Association revealed that Dyncorp, another US company which recruits mercenaries for US military projects, was operating in Manta. Two other competitors, Blackwater and Halliburton, also have representatives in Colombia and in Manta.
(Prensa Latina, Aug. 13)

Quito, Aug 16 (Prensa Latina) Ecuador expressed uneasiness on Monday over the recruiting of mercenaries to serve in Iraq by a US firm operating from the coastal city of Manta.

"If this is true, it is a violation that mercenaries are being recruited in this country", said Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Antonio Parra.

Mercenaries are "people paid to go and make war and be involved in violent, criminal actions in other countries", he stressed before local media.

News published by a Colombian daily about the hiring of former Colombian soldiers as mercenaries by Manta-based Epi Security Investigation, a firm run by US national Jeffrey Shippy, has sparked strong condemnation here.

In Parra┤s opinion, the recruiting of mercenaries "is almost equal to white slavery," so it is not necessary to speak with the US or with Colombia. This foreign company in Ecuador has to be fined, closed and expelled.

Meanwhile, contractor Shippy┤s Ecuadorian wife Martha Ca˝arte said "recruiting is being done in Medellin (Colombia). Here they just make contacts."

Government minister Alexis Ponce, also spokesman for the Human Rights Permanent Assembly (APDH) said at least five recruiting-related firms are operating in Manta.

He said Ecuador has been turned into a Third World mercenaries┤ mecca.

APDH and other groups announced they will send a second letter to President Alfredo Palacio demanding the expulsion of Epi Security Investigation.

michael
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
It would not surprise me if it's true. I'm sure we do have mercenarie's over there.

Treyarch
08-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Its more honest work than being a politician in South America.

DaveJames
08-17-2005, 03:05 PM
The guys down at Black Water say they are training them up for the "EP" needs over there

Sharpshooter
09-03-2005, 07:09 AM
my experience with contracting in Iraq was this they hire Americans to get things rolling and then get TCN's as soon as they can because it is cheaper. The first contract I was on every one was a US citizen because they had to hire us to get the contract. Then they got a rewrite on the contract and started to replace people with TCN's . They just send home the original staff and then replace em with people that will work for as little as $1,000 a month.

They are all doing black water , DI , all of em do it. It is all about $$$

Anthony
09-03-2005, 05:49 PM
my experience with contracting in Iraq was this they hire Americans to get things rolling and then get TCN's as soon as they can because it is cheaper. The first contract I was on every one was a US citizen because they had to hire us to get the contract. Then they got a rewrite on the contract and started to replace people with TCN's . They just send home the original staff and then replace em with people that will work for as little as $1,000 a month.

They are all doing black water , DI , all of em do it. It is all about $$$
Yes indeed.
Hire Americans, British etc. - What might the average salary be ?
Let us say, US$ 300/400 a day.
An Iraqi might get ( if he is lucky,) US$ 500 per month. - And this is a great salary for him.
Former British Gurkas from Nepal get paid less also. - More than Iraqis, but less than the so-called "ex-pats". ( US & UK etc ) personell.
South Africans generally work for less also, but for them the money goes much further when they get home.
5 or 6.000 US$ per month goes along way in developing countries, compared to the US or UK.
Just the way that it is.
Regards,
Anthony.

Sharpshooter
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
It is also making it harder and harder to get a contract to work because they do not want to hire you when they can hire 3 for what they have to pay me. The contract I was on this time I was supposed to complete in July. They sent me and all the original staff home early and paid out my contract to me just as if I had completed it in country including my bonus!. The only contracts I can get on are ones that have US State Department Stipulations stating they must hire US Citizens. Those are getting fewer and fewer as time goes on as companies use their pull to get rewrites to the contract to allow the hiring of TCN's .It's funny in a sad way, because with my skill sets I have a hard time making $2000 a month in the US and in Iraq where I was able to take those same skill sets and make a decent living I am being edged out by cheaper labor.There is no jusitce in the world

Anthony
09-03-2005, 07:25 PM
It is also making it harder and harder to get a contract to work because they do not want to hire you when they can hire 3 for what they have to pay me.
Don't I know about it Sharpshooter.
I've been waiting since the end of March. Resume out with just about every company I can think of.
Maybe I'm just getting too old.....at 45 :eek:
Who knows ?
Regards,
Anthony.

CPerez
09-04-2005, 06:55 AM
I belive this is thru, one of the members of WT that lives in Colombia was intervied but didn't take the job, I will PM him to see if he would like to provide more info.

leopardprey
09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
If you have the proper background there is no problem getting high paying jobs right now in Iraq. Premium companies are hurting for people. Just a few: Dyncorp, Triple Canopy, MVM, SOC-SMG, Blackwater.

But you need the baqckground: Clean record, and SOF Background (Army SF, Ranger, Navy SEAL, USMC Recon, AF PJ, USMC Scout Sniper, Army ABN INF)

If you have that, no problem getting jobs that pay right now $400 - $700 per day. I personnally just finished up 2 different contracts overseas, and now have offers from 3 different companies and trying to decide which one to go to.

Some of the companies are using TCN for static security positions of compounds (such as oil fields, airfields, power plants, govt buildings, etc..) but these are usually managed and trained and supervised by ex US military SOF.

Sharpshooter
09-10-2005, 10:16 PM
leopardprey I worked for DI. and yes they do redplace americans with tcns as soon as they can. Most of their PSD details are South African. I was working for DI before they desolved DIBM so I know what Im talking about. Another asisde for you I was making way more than 700 to 800 a day. I have some highly specialized skills beyond trigger pulling. Their WPPS gig is Americans and so is their CivPol gig.But trust me when I tell you this, it is only because the State Department says they have to be. Black Water and Triple Canapoy both use huge ampounts of South American Hired Guns .

leopardprey
09-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Yes, it does make sense for a company to hire, as TC does for some of its static positions, TCN. You can get highly trained Filipinos, El Salvadorian, Chileans, Thais, Ex Ghurkas, etc... for a fraction of the amount that you would have to pay and American to do static security. One of the companies I worked for before is doing just that. But, they still have americans as team leaders/supervisors. You have for example 40 filipinos guarding a airfield, you pay them each $2000 per month. Then you have 6 Americans that get $15000 a month to supervise and train them. The exception is state dept gigs that require high security clearances for all personel and US citizens. For WPPS and OGA gigs, it is still all ex american SOF guys.

TC was hiring and paying El Salvadorians at $2300 per month.

Anthony
09-11-2005, 02:37 PM
leapardprey,
You are confirming what we are saying.
Companies today are contracting 'cheaper' people.
Be they Gurkas, Iraqis or South Americans etc, it doesn't matter.
Anecdote:
Leaving the PX in the 'Green zone' one day, there were a group of contractors talking just outside.
Fit looking, and all in the same uniform, I overheard them talking as I walked past.
I am fluent in Portuguese, so Spanish is 'understandable'.
They were speaking Spanish, - but not from Spain, neither Argentina, Paraguay or Bolivia. - I know the accents well.

I don't have a problem with this.
Everybody has the right to work. - And to accept whatever salary he/she is offered.
US$ 2000 goes a lot further in Nepal ( for example,) than it does in the USA or UK.
Regards,
Anthony.

leopardprey
09-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Considering the average Nepali makes about $350 per year, $2000 a month is like us getting $20000 a month!

Yeah, I need to get on one more contract and do a year or so, before it all dries up. It is just not the money though, I want to be of service in Iraq and get the job done.

Anthony
09-11-2005, 05:26 PM
It is just not the money though, I want to be of service in Iraq and get the job done.
You are correct about the salaries in Nepal. - I and WT member Karl Johnson worked with enough former Gurkas to know this.
I don't know if I will return. ( I'd like to of course.)
But I am proud of my service there whatever.
I shed blood in Iraq, to help these people get their 'act together'.
I hope it was not in vain.
Regards,
Anthony.