PDA

View Full Version : I have a M.E.P.S. related cardio question about protein leakage and running

Joseph Timbs
08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm about to join a national guard unit , but I must pass MEPS first . According to a general DR. heavy (?) running will cause the kidneys to leak protein into urine , and while that is not a health problem , it will disqualify me.

How much can I run , jog , sprint , etc... before this occurs ?

Thanks for your help , guys.

Wylycoyte
08-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Just run and don't worry about it. Give yourself a break a couple days before your test.

myke
08-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, just keep on doing what you want. I went through there a few years back and i didnt change my lifestyle one bit....They are mainly looking for drugs....

Shdwdncr
08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
According to a general DR. heavy (?) running will cause the kidneys to leak protein into urine , and while that is not a health problem , it will disqualify me.

I don't know where you got this information from, but as a former Army recruiter I can tell you that I dealt a lot with very athletic young men and women who never had a problem with the physical part of the MEPS process.
Like Myke said, the urinalysis screening is mostly for illegal drugs (to include steroids) and even for prescribed medications. It also serves to identify medical conditions such as diabetes, which is a disqualifying factor.
Keep running without concerns, just make sure that you don't injure yourself before the physical exam.
Best of luck with your military career. We' re always looking for good, motivated people.

S.

Joseph Timbs
08-15-2005, 08:08 PM
A former Navy Seebee and current general practicing DR . told me about the possible protein issue upon hearing that I 'm about to join.

Thanks guys , I feel better now .

Grey Wolf
08-17-2005, 10:35 PM
ak74auto

No more advise, but wanted to thank you for you willingness to serve our wonderful country.

It is men like you that make the difference.

Stay safe and keep you head down! ;)

What MOS are you trying for?

Good luck

John

Sam
08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
AK74Auto,
Thank you.
Godspeed.

Sam

fcdobbs
08-25-2005, 09:28 PM
My brother ran into this problem when taking the medical exam for his CDL license. The doctor attributed it to heavy physical exertion (weight training) within 48 hrs of the exam, i.e. no problem.

Good luck and good hunting.

Joseph Timbs
12-16-2006, 12:41 PM
A former Navy Seebee and current general practicing DR . told me about the possible protein issue upon hearing that I 'm about to join.

Thanks guys , I feel better now .

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your question, I left out very shortly after posting this. My MOS was to be 18B , but that hasn't panned out , I'm just an 11B ABN . :(

P.D.
12-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Marathoners have the kidney problem all the time after a race in particular. Lay off distance running and high intensity workouts for a week before the exam and it should go well. The break will do you good. Your body will respond better to your workouts if you change up your routine to streching and short wind sprints.

Joseph Timbs
12-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks , but I've long since signed up. Hooah ! ;)