PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the OST G17 with Trijicon RMR...

silversport
08-05-2011, 10:15 AM
this is a long time coming for me...

I picked up a beat outside nice inside G-17 from a co worker...after the longest cleaning I have ever given a pistol...twice...and you know how easy the GLOCKs are to clean, I reassembled and tested the pistol...proclaimed it okay to save life and limb...

Later I replaced the rear plastic GLOCK sight with a new plastic one (guy on the net selling new plastic sights for $5) as I was unsure then what I wanted for this bargain basement G-17 in the way of sights...

Next I sent it off to GLOCK to be updated as it was a 1999 vintage and unknown round count...I wanted to start from a stock GLOCK 17 perspective...had the frame replaced too as it was pretty beat from seat belt contact on duty and abuse in its prior life...

I should have it back in my hands in a couple weeks and now I have to make the final decision...send it off to OST to have the slide milled???...(pretty sure I'm doing this...

I already have an FNP-45 Tactical with the milled slide and Trijicon RMR so I am already on board with the concept and like it...

...thinking of having the slide milled for a Trijicon RMR and using the one I already have...adding the suppressor sights for co-witness with the RMR...leaving the phosphate gray finish of the slide and just having the milled area cold blued (I expect that is faster too than a slide refinish)...

Any thoughts or experience and photos anyone would like to share to get me over this waiting would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill

Jerry Rosenberg
08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
That's exactly what I had done to my slide and I couldn't be happier with the result; except that I bought a new RMR from OST.

silversport
08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
thanks sir...did you get an LED RMR or adjustable???...I currently have the LED and I think I would keep that and use it between the two pistols but I am intrigued by the new adjustable brightness RMR...

Thanks again,

Bill

Gabriel Suarez
08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
I am running the new RM07 Adjustables on two of my Glocks and I really like them.

silversport
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
nice...thanks...
Bill

silversport
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
that's it???...no moral support or pics to help me through the wait???...;)...c'mon now...
Bill

Gabriel Suarez
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Well...take a look at these sites

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/
http://www.tsdcombatsystems.com

and the latest write up at Soldier Systems (http://soldiersystems.net/2011/08/03/big-news-from-tsd/)

Either RMR is good, but I like the brightness adjustable feature on the RM07.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/images/products/detail/IMG_0650.1.jpg

Here is a brace of RMR-Equipped Glocks that were done that way. (A "brace" for any Obama voters reading, is a pair of weapons)

Gabriel Suarez
08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
This my current carry gun. Glock 17 with TSD Combat Systems Premium Slide, Olive Green Cerakote, TSD Match Barrel, and Trijicon RM07 Brightness Adjustable Sight.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/images/products/detail/IMG_2026.jpg

Dorkface
08-07-2011, 12:46 PM
that's it???...no moral support or pics to help me through the wait???...;)...c'mon now...
Bill

I thought that was what the whole red dot subforum was for. :thumbup:

Dorkface
08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
(A "brace" for any Obama voters reading, is a pair of weapons)

Hmm... puts a whole new spin on the saying "Brace yourselves!" :thumbsup: Then again maybe that's where it originally came from... :ponder:

Jerry Rosenberg
08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I am using the led RMR and it works very well in every light condition that it has been exposed to.

silversport
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
guys I appreciate the responses and links...I was sold on the red dot sighting system late last year when I bought my FNP-45 Tactical and red dot...I give Gabe full credit as it was here that I read of them first and here where we can get the best conversion of my G-17 when I get it back from GLOCK next week (I hope)...I just needed some support to get me through the down time...:wink:...'preciate the back up...
Bill

silversport
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
This my current carry gun. Glock 17 with TSD Combat Systems Premium Slide, Olive Green Cerakote, TSD Match Barrel, and Trijicon RM07 Brightness Adjustable Sight.

very nice...thanks for posting this pic of your latest...

Bill

Juju
08-07-2011, 05:49 PM
but I like the brightness adjustable feature on the RM07.

Gabe, I know that you mentioned that the adjustable would be good for those that leave it in storage for awhile. But, under what other conditions do you know of that the adjustable has a benefit?

Poohgyrr
08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
And I finally read that money clip; gotta love it. Two thumbs up!

Gabriel Suarez
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Gabe, I know that you mentioned that the adjustable would be good for those that leave it in storage for awhile. But, under what other conditions do you know of that the adjustable has a benefit?

That is really it, and for those that like to play in the dark with NV. Other than that, the non-adjustables are fine. Just a matter of preference.

coastalcop
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I have observed a little washout on the non electric model, but i could always see the dot. One other thing to watch for is condensation going from AC to hot humid ( more a problem in coastal Texas than Arizona) but a quick swipe with the thumb as you step out will fix it

Juju
08-08-2011, 12:15 AM
....and for those that like to play in the dark with NV.

Ooooh..... Work is play and play is work ;)

I know that you are working/playing with this for future intergration, but what is the max range you can get with this as opposed to blending the images with the NV/non-dominate eye and the sighted/dominated eye method? I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to know.

mudgunner49
08-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Gabe

As sweet as that is - when are you going to have more of the grab and stabs in stock?????:wink:

blake

Gabriel Suarez
08-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I am working on that one.

mudgunner49
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I am working on that one.

Well I know you've got nothing else on your plate so let's get on that - easy there, I kid, I kid. I'm not sure I know of anybody with more projects on the go than you, and certainly not more "cool guy" projects. I shoulda bought one when I had the chance the first time around - it will not happen again!!!!

blake

silversport
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I just got a package from Smyrna, GA...wonder what it could be...

Bill

IANative
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
New to WT and new to the concept of a G17 RMR, so forgive my ignorance. Those of you who CC such a set-up, do you leave the RMR turned on all the time while carrying so that it's there in a dynamic moment of need? Or, do you save the batteries and rely on the irons?

Garloch
08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
You leave it on all the time. The batteries last for many months.

IANative
08-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Excellent, thank you. Responses like that make this decision easier and easier...

TACC
08-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Gabe

As sweet as that is - when are you going to have more of the grab and stabs in stock?????:wink:

blake

My slide is already on the way, but I would also love to get one of those grab and stab set ups.

DonSmithnotTMD
08-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I have observed a little washout on the non electric model, but i could always see the dot. One other thing to watch for is condensation going from AC to hot humid ( more a problem in coastal Texas than Arizona) but a quick swipe with the thumb as you step out will fix it

What happens if you don't do anything?

coastalcop
08-20-2011, 05:24 PM
it stays condensed until temps match and it goes away. Takes a pretty severe temp change to happen though. The dot is noticeably harder to see without the wipe under these circumstances. Understand though that it is such a non issue that I still use one for my duty pistol with total confidence