PDA

View Full Version : Reload and eject?

Jim Linch
12-24-2003, 01:32 AM
I saw a reload technique that has the shooter ALWAYS rack the slide after inserting a new mag. This ensures a round is chambered and that the previous mag did not fail to lock the slide back.

Q. Is this really the way to go, or just a waste of ammo?

Al Lipscomb
12-24-2003, 09:51 AM
This seems to start a slippery slope. If you rack the slide how do you know that you did not eject a live round and fail to go into battery with the new round? What do you do to make sure you did not just insert an empty magazine? How do you know you won't need that round you just sent to the ground? Will you slip and fall on the live round?

See how complicated things get?

You should have enough trust in your weapon system to not have to worry about routine failures. Have your malfunction drill down in case of a problem. Be ready for a malfunction drill after a tactical reload.

Others may know something I have not thought about.

Wulfenite
12-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Someone has attempted to get me to do that. It does not make sense. If you're gun is not completely reliable in this aspect of functioning its not worth carrying. Creating a new, time and ammo wasting procedure to accomidate a problem that does not exist is crazy.

Ragsbo
12-28-2003, 04:58 AM
I think you are just adding extra work and actions to an already stressful and complicated function. If for some reason you do doudt the condition of the chamber you can either press check it or rack it all the way, observing the round being chambered but under normal (whatever that is) conditions I wouldn't.

Jim Linch
12-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Good points everyone. Initially I thought it was a good idea, but then again, I thought that about A-Grip too. :)

I've started training in IPSC/IDPA to shoot to slide lock for the simple reason that reloading from such is most likely to be needed in a shooting, and a Tac-reload should be nothing more than an administrative (or pretty close to) function. It seems that we get focused on the wrong thing sometimes.

sween1911
12-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Usually, I associate tac-reload with taking cover. In many cases, we will not have cover and the time to admin/tac reload.

The speed and suddenness of an attack may preclude our topping off the gun, and instead require us to run it empty. It's important to recognize those times in a conflict when we have the chance to top off the gun, but not force ourselves to do it when the threat takes precedence.