PDA

View Full Version : The Bullworker

Cold War Scout
07-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Remember this from when you were a kid? They had ads in the back of comic books?

I bought another one a few years back (the original one suffered from spring collapse cicra 1978). And I still use it frequently as a workoput supplement (heck when I am having a lazy day, I may even let it be the workout of the day).

I have a number of strength contraptions, but this is my all around favorite:

http://www.thebullworker.com/

Cold War Scout
07-29-2005, 05:33 AM
As supplements to your workout regimen....

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
07-29-2005, 10:25 AM
CWS:

I've had one of these for years and have wanted to get another one but been too fornicating stupid to try the obvious www.bullworker.com

DUH!!!

This is a stellar piece of equipment. An earlier version was a great favorite of Bruce Lee.

Thank you!
Crafty Dog

PaulDmitrios
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Interesting! I know a guy who has one laying around his house. I knew it was some bit of fitness kit but had no idea what you did with it. I'll see if he wants to get rid of it.

Tegnerfan
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I had one during my university days and used it in conjunction with my weights.I loved it, but it broke.I didn't know it was still available, thanks for the heads up!

Chain
07-29-2005, 02:53 PM
What's it for? Strengthening the muscles used to pry elevator doors apart? :D

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm in Peru right now, but did not bring mine because, not knowing where to get another, I treasure it too much to risk travelling with it.

The variety of exercises that can be done with it is quite ingenious.

BTW, my other travel strength equipment is based around surgical tubing.

DaveJames
07-29-2005, 04:38 PM
CWS, like the others thaks for the link, I had one also and loved it, a buddy of mine was a real nut about isometric exersises, and swore by this thing, I used it for the lower and upper back after surgery. and will have to get another now

Use to keep the big fold out digram on the back of the closet door to follow all the exercises. :)

michael
07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I used one too. I guess we're showing our age.:rolleyes: I also had another contraption that had a handle on each end with a coiled spring in the center, and you squeezed the handles together. I have no idea what it was called though.

Tegnerfan
07-29-2005, 06:13 PM
I had that spring contraption as well, one of the many items i picked up from the old Joe Weider catalogues his company used to produce.Used to have Arnold and Betty Weider posing together.

alamo
07-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi folks I`m from Germany and I used the Bullworker in my teenage time.
I bought a new one few years ago and think they are still available in Germany.

stay safe

P.D.
07-31-2005, 11:49 PM
My late wife bought me one before she died in 1985. It was my choice for a quick workout before leaving for work.

I still have it, but haven't used it in years.

Cold War Scout
08-01-2005, 03:22 AM
My late wife bought me one before she died in 1985. It was my choice for a quick workout before leaving for work.

I still have it, but haven't used it in years.

Break that bad boy out and ease into it. It's a great contraption for when watching TV and you have a hankering to do something physical without dripping in sweat.

Bri Thai
08-01-2005, 06:18 AM
I had one too. In fact I also had an earlier version, with green handles.....

But are these things really that good? What, for example, functional fitness can they really offer?

Cold War Scout
08-02-2005, 04:51 PM
The ARNOLD Challenge

At the Arnold Classic,
we offered $20 to anyone who could
"Beat the BULLWORKER"

With the Bullworker in front of you, compress the ends together, keeping the unit level and centered. No fair moving it side to side!

When the Red Ring disappears, HOLD IT!

Only 5 out of the 100's who tried could do so. What did those 5 individuals have in common?

All 5 could bench press at least 400 lbs.

Bri Thai
08-02-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I can well believe that someone being able to press 400lb could do that challenge. But I am not convinced that someone working like mad purely on the bullworker, even if they eventually managed that challenge, could then perform a 400lb bench press with it.

Jack Rumbaugh
08-03-2005, 05:01 AM
I also had one as a teen. That thing would kick your butt if you did it right. I swear it put 2 inches on my back one summer.

Jack

Cold War Scout
08-03-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. I can well believe that someone being able to press 400lb could do that challenge. But I am not convinced that someone working like mad purely on the bullworker, even if they eventually managed that challenge, could then perform a 400lb bench press with it.

The Bullworker is a neat contraption as a supplement to your main strength training regimen, not a replacement. Plus for many of us, and thus the primary reason for the post, it brings back memories of our youth when it was an advertising staple in comic books right next to the Charles Atlas "sand kicked in the face" ads.

Cold War Scout
08-03-2005, 05:20 AM
I also had one as a teen. That thing would kick your butt if you did it right. I swear it put 2 inches on my back one summer.

Jack

One of the strongest guys I met in the Army, only used a Bullworker (aside from daily PT).

I enjoy fooling around with it, on a day like today for example. I worked out pretty hard at the gym yesterday so need to give my body a weight training day off. I got up at 0445 today and trained with/trained my girlfriend in a somewhat extreme regimen we do several times a week. So I will likely not do anything else for the rest of today except pick up the Bullworker a few times and mess with it.

Jack Rumbaugh
08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
I enjoy fooling around with my girlfriend in a somewhat extreme regimen we do several times a week.

So that trapeze is coming in handy, yes?

:D

Cold War Scout
08-03-2005, 07:35 AM
So that trapeze is coming in handy, yes?

:D

Hey actually we are going to go up to the Inner Harbor next month and do 2 hours of the trapeze school they have set up there.

http://baltimore.trapezeschool.com/

Bri Thai
08-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Yes, it certainly brought back memories for me!

I had one of the old green handled ones that I bought off my sister's fiancee. The porr guy. I was only 14 and he was in his 20's, yet I could still beat him.

Years later I bought one of the newer ones from a young lad at a car boot sale. But I got sick of it and re-sold it back to him a few weeks later, at a profit!

I've nothing against them, just doubt their real value for fighting fitness. But I reckon they'd make a reasonable weapon - :D

Jack Rumbaugh
08-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey actually we are going to go up to the Inner Harbor next month and do 2 hours of the trapeze school they have set up there.

http://baltimore.trapezeschool.com/

Ok, now that is just scary...

We should go shooting sometime in the near future. I have a new Sig 226 I need to play with.