PDA

View Full Version : g26 rmr

misterdiesel
06-18-2011, 10:54 AM
im seriuosly considering having a dual illum rmr put on my g26. i couldnt find anything specific on this in any threads. does anyone use this set up. is it worth doing since the 26 is so small. im mainly going to use it cc and buy a holster to fit. all knowldge on this is much appreciated.

M5NSX
06-18-2011, 03:08 PM
If you look at the threads on the red dot pistols section here, you see a recurring theme that touts the red dot sight as greatly increasing the distances you can engage and successfully hit targets. You plan to use a baby Glock which is your cc weapon for the RMR and most self defense scenarios will most likely play out in distances of 21 feet or under. You will probably not even realize you had a RMR on your pistol when you got done shooting if this was ever to occur. Personally I put mine on a Glock 34 because I do tactical shooting at distances and like to use the gun for "gaming" type events. Just my thoughts on your question. I am sure those that routinely carry a weapon with a RMR will have some input.

DiamondD
06-18-2011, 03:26 PM
"You will probably not even realize you had a RMR on your pistol when you got done shooting if this was ever to occur." Which is all well and good! If it doesn't slow you down at close range, there is no disadvantage. I understand what M5NSX is trying to say but I tend to disagree with his point.

I have a G19 with an RMR and I am seriously considering sending in a 26 slide to be milled. Many here have reported shooting thier 26 better than a 19 or even a 17 and I would think that the RMR would completely negate the disadvantage of the shorter sight radius on this pistol for long range work, although you are giving up a little velocity.

I have been carrying a 19 for a while now, sometimes even two 19s. Usually though, when I carry two it is a 19 and a 26. I am starting to think that carrying two 26s (one with an RMR attached) would be much easier and I would carry the second gun more.

Beats a J frame in the front pocket for sure. Of course YMMV!

Mickey Rourke
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I've done a number of G26's for folks thus far. :cool:I just got mine back yesterday (albeit with a previously owned JPoint instead of the RMR).

Mine in BOLD

If you look at the threads on the red dot pistols section here, you see a recurring theme that touts the red dot sight as greatly increasing the distances you can engage and successfully hit targets.
My G26 is consistently more accurate than my two G19's. I see no reason not to use an RDS to maximize this accuracy advantage.

You plan to use a baby Glock which is your cc weapon for the RMR and most self defense scenarios will most likely play out in distances of 21 feet or under. You will probably not even realize you had a RMR on your pistol when you got done shooting if this was ever to occur. Personally I put mine on a Glock 34 because I do tactical shooting at distances and like to use the gun for "gaming" type events. Just my thoughts on your question.

Gaming and 'tactical shooting' aside, if you have to use your G34 on the street (you do actually carry this gun correct?), what distances do you think it will be employed at?

Before milling, I had a dovetail mount for my sight. I've used it on my G19's and 26 at point-shooting distances (just ignore it and use proper p/s techniques) out to 60 or so yds (the length of my current shooting area).

Groups of around 4" or less at 60 slow fire and all on the COM of a target rapid fire at the same distance (using the hood of my Jeep for a rest) with a sub-compact gun you will actually have on you is never a bad thing.

misterdiesel
06-19-2011, 08:30 AM
thanks for the info. i just put a lonewolf threaded barrel in with a flashider. it seems to work well. i just need more practice. this was just going to be the next evolution in my upgrades.

golucky
06-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I know that Badger had one at the TMCO class in Orange. Both on his 19 and the 26 that his daughter was using. They let me handle them and I'm sold on it. As soon as funds allow, both my 19 & 26 will get RMR'd. Now which one goes first?

badgerw
06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I know that Badger had one at the TMCO class in Orange. Both on his 19 and the 26 that his daughter was using. They let me handle them and I'm sold on it. As soon as funds allow, both my 19 & 26 will get RMR'd. Now which one goes first?

I've had an LED RMR on my G26 for a year. Love it. I bet you will too.

The RMR does away with one of the two issues of a G26 over a G17 or G19 as an EDC gun. Sight radius ceases to be an issue. The other issue, capacity, is up to you and magazine choices. When I carry my G26, I have a G19 (15 round) magazine as a spare.

I love my G26 + RMR combo.

Bill

SK2344
06-19-2011, 11:30 PM
im seriuosly considering having a dual illum rmr put on my g26. i couldnt find anything specific on this in any threads. does anyone use this set up. is it worth doing since the 26 is so small. im mainly going to use it cc and buy a holster to fit. all knowldge on this is much appreciated.
It's just my opinion but I can't understand the purpose for the rmr on a small sub-compact gun like the G26. I sometimes carry my G26 for self defense because it's so easy to conceal and I usually carry in my Front Pocket Holster. To me it would make no sense to put this on the G26.

M5NSX
06-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I just got mine back yesterday (albeit with a previously owned JPoint instead of the RMR).

Mine in BOLD

Before milling, I had a dovetail mount for my sight. I've used it on my G19's and 26 at point-shooting distances (just ignore it and use proper p/s techniques) out to 60 or so yds (the length of my current shooting area).

Groups of around 4" or less at 60 slow fire and all on the COM of a target rapid fire at the same distance (using the hood of my Jeep for a rest) with a sub-compact gun you will actually have on you is never a bad thing.

No I don't carry my 34 with RMR. No doubt a RMR on a 26 would increase accuracy especially if you are shooting off you hood at targets 60 yards away. This is having fun not self defense. As a pure self defense concealed carry weapon, I don't know if it is worth the $800-900 for an RMR on a 26. My opinion, but if you have time to draw your weapon it is going to be a point and shoot without obtaining any kind of sight. If my self defense distances are 60-100yds plus I am using a rifle and am probably in LE or the military.

Now it would not be a disadvantage to have one and if you really like it(I do) and must have it, then I would say get it.

Garloch
06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
It's just my opinion but I can't understand the purpose for the rmr on a small sub-compact gun like the G26. I sometimes carry my G26 for self defense because it's so easy to conceal and I usually carry in my Front Pocket Holster. To me it would make no sense to put this on the G26.

I'm sure that there are others who feel different, but I'm kinda with you on this. Of all my glocks, the very last one that I would be planning on putting an RMR on would be my 27. I'm planning on getting one on my 35 within the next couple of months, which is my edc. I contemplated for a long time getting one on my 21 (since it fits flush with the slide), but I'm so heavy into .40 glocks, including the Kel Tec Sub2k that I have nearby in the vehicle, it just makes more sense to have an RMR on the gun that I have with me always.

I do carry my 27 a lot, but only as a bug, and it is always in a pocket holster. I shudder to think how big the pocket would have to be for an RMR'd 27 to be carried there.

Mickey Rourke
06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Mine In Bold:
No I don't carry my 34 with RMR. No doubt a RMR on a 26 would increase accuracy especially if you are shooting off you hood at targets 60 yards away. This is having fun not self defense.
Well, yes. I was having fun. But I was also seeing what my gun was capable of. I took an advanced handgun class locally in 2008 (not SI) and we were shooting 3/4 scale silhouettes at 50-100 yds. I was getting 99% hits with my G26 and it had Yost Retro sights at that time. Gabe routinely takes his advanced students out to 100-200 yds with a handgun. Is this only "fun"? Or does it have real-world applications?

BTW, what do you EDC?

As a pure self defense concealed carry weapon, I don't know if it is worth the $800-900 for an RMR on a 26.
Since this is the gun I carry most, it's what I chose to have milled.

My opinion, but if you have time to draw your weapon it is going to be a point and shoot without obtaining any kind of sight.
This actually applies to any size pistol, whether Keltec P32 or Glock 34. In close-range fighting, you use point shooting techniques. If you happen to have to shoot longer distance (or need a precise shot closer) the RDS is much more precise than irons, especially the sights on the vast majority of pocket guns.

If my self defense distances are 60-100yds plus I am using a rifle and am probably in LE or the military.
Unfortunately we don't get to chose where, when and what distance our fight may take place at. Yes, I would prefer using a rifle at longer distance. But I rarely have my rifle when out at the movies with the family or at church. I can and do carry my pistol most everywhere I go.

Now it would not be a disadvantage to have one and if you really like it(I do) and must have it, then I would say get it.

Now, I own a standard G19, a G19 with the grip trimmed to 26 length, and an actual 26. I was going to have the slide on one of the 19's milled.

I don't know which gun Doc Meade had with him at TMCO, but I know his first gun to be milled was his sub-compact XD9 (I have pics). After several conversations and picking his brain for the reasoning, I decided to do my G26 instead for similar reasons.

DogDoc
06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
So how much difference in bullet drop or impact is there at long distances with a G26 vs a G17 or G34?