PDA

View Full Version : Glock with RMR at Ironman 2011

SinistralRifleman
06-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I just got back from the 2011 Ironman 3 Gun. Here is the video of using my OST-TSD equipped Glock on all the stages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTtn1nf8E0

I found the RMR glock to be particularly useful at the Ironman 3 Gun due to the number of precision pistol shots required at 25-30 yards. In the past I had used a pistol caliber carbine in Trooper division because of the accuracy advantage. Using the RMR equipped Glock has eliminated the need for me to do so by allowing me to make better use of my pistol skills. I still have to do my part in aiming and trigger control, but the red dot is easier to read on target for when to pull the trigger and when not to. On farther shots the dot being super imposed on the target rather than the target being covered by iron sights made it easier to shoot accurately.

Complete After Action Report with videos of all 10 stages:
http://sinistralrifleman.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/ironman-2011-after-action-report/

GRT45
06-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Holy smokes, that is freak'n amazing! The diversity of targets and round count in that competition is astounding. Seriously now, you got to shoot while suspended on a zip line traveling forward and in reverse?! What wouldn't I give to have that at my local gun range (LOL). Add to this the physical rigors of Trooper Class, I think maybe they should change the name to Superman 3 Gun.

My hearty congratulations to you for finishing in the top five among such a tough group of competitors.

Gabe Suarez and the OST/TSD staff must be very gratified to watch you use the RMR-equipped Glock to best advantage. Thanks for posting this report and for carrying the POV camera to let us ride along.

Highest regards,

GRT45

ReserveSgt
06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Very cool. Makes me want to find a 3gun match near me!

Thanks for sharing.

golucky
06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Outstanding! I just got back from the TMCO in Orange. Had a chance to handle Badgers' RMR 19 & 26. I'm sold on it and building up funds to have mine done. Thanks for posting the video & comments to reaffirm the potential/benefits of the RMR pistol.

rotten_newbie
06-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the shooting from a zip line! That looks like the funnest, coolest thing in the world! The Gundudes podcast was talking about shooting from the passenger side of a UTV, but a zip line beats that hands down!

By the way, that was very nice shooting. I read your blog entry, and thanks for taking the time to write all that down and even video the event! Very interesting and useful information, so thank you.

magicmirror
06-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks for sharing this.

azerious85
06-12-2011, 07:37 AM
what glock were you using?

GRT45
06-12-2011, 08:17 AM
From the After Action Report at link provided in Post #1:

"Glock 34 with Trijicon RMR (LED illuminated) mounted on the slide, cowitnessing suppressor sights, and X200. The factory slide was modified by One Source Tactical’s Technical Services Division to mount the RMR."

chad newton
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
That was pretty cool. I wish there was something like that I could go to close by me. By the way was the shotgun a saiga 12 or wAs it a 20 gage

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
That was pretty cool. I wish there was something like that I could go to close by me. By the way was the shotgun a saiga 12 or wAs it a 20 gage

It was a Saiga-12

Spiffy
06-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Your consistent as all get out. You were in the top 5 last year weren't you?

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Your consistent as all get out. You were in the top 5 last year weren't you?

Here are my results for all the Ironman matches that have had Trooper class at them:

Ironman 2005 5/7 Trooper 49/92 Over All
Ironman 2006 3/10 Trooper, 50/109 Overall
Ironman 2007 3/20 Trooper 24/123 over all
Ironman 2008 1/19 Trooper, 15/133 Over All
Ironman 2009 1/19 Trooper 17/140 over all
Ironman 2010 3/22 Trooper (over all results no longer available due to changing to match points vs total time)
Ironman 2011 5/26 Trooper

As Trooper continues to attract more and better shooters I don't expect to place as high, but I do welcome the competition. It helps keep my head in the game; when things get too easy it makes me complacent.

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Cory,

How many other competitors are running an RMR or other miniature RDS configuration?

Thanks,
Mark

Cory? My name is Russell

Anyway...I saw one other in Trooper using a Doctor or J-point on a 1911. First place Trooper Chuck Anderson use a traditional Race Gun mounted C-more on a Glock in addition to an iron sight Glock depending on the stage. One competitor on my squad had said he just got an M&P with RMR but had not had time to get it up and running before the match. I didn't see anyone else using a co-witnessing Iron sight/RMR set up.

Gabriel Suarez
06-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the update Russ. It is good to see this.

Matthew Sweeney
06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok...that zip line was freaking cool...

Trenchs
06-12-2011, 07:31 PM
What setup did you use to record the video? Awesome shooting by the way!! Thanks for posting the video.

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 07:33 PM
What setup did you use to record the video? Awesome shooting by the way!! Thanks for posting the video.

Thanks, I use a Vio POV 1 with the camera mounted on the strong side of my ear pro.

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM

I'm glad you guys brought these to market last year. I wish there were more competitive venues where I could make use of it, but equipment division rules make it difficult. There aren't many matches with Trooper class and I don't like competing in Open as much anymore as the gear I use tends to fall halfway between Tac-Scope division and Open.

Feel free to repost/link to my blog and videos if you think it might be of use to you.

Gabriel Suarez
06-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Maybe we should begin our own competition.

SinistralRifleman
06-12-2011, 08:59 PM

ACTS in Tucson, that Karl runs is combatives style shooting in a competition format. Use of cover is required, support side and one handed shooting are required, awkward shooting positions and physical challenges are the norm. You should come check it out some time.

I have used the RMR Glock there in Open Division (Open Division at ACTS isn't quite the same as Open Division in 3 Gun).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUWHlt6ABc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sFr0P43Q

Something I believe would work well for the tactical training community rather than competitions as we know them are skills tests with tough stages graded on an expert/pass/fail basis. This would give participants an idea of what skills they need to work on and what classes they should take in the future.

chad newton
06-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Dude, we should set something up. Everything from pistol to sniper rifle. I know you don't like gaming but it would be freaking cool if it was set up right. You could have yearly si compatitions. Be pretty cool and could probably be a big event.

chad newton
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Lol.... I dIdnt see this far ahead, but yes I think it would be bitchen.