PDA

View Full Version : new member considering rmr for my 21sf and ccw

brian45acp
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Been doing some research and am strongly considering this as an option . My issue is finding the front sight quickly and using a sight good for USPsA and for ccw low light conditions. This seems to be the answer and in terms of accuracy it really stands out to me.

Now my questions are where to get this done? Onesource has a nice package deal and i think a new lone wolf slide would be the best way but am not sure if sending stock slide is better. Also when pricing onesource vs lone wolf they seem very expensive. Please tell me what i am not understanding here but it seems i can do a lone wolf slide and rmr with all the guts and a barrel for $1k and onesource is around $1400. I noticed that just the milling work is double the cost.

I love the idea of an all in one get it done option vs sending things back and forth but not for a $400 difference. Please educate me on the differences and if it is in terms of quality i would love to know that.

Also for the refinish what is onesource using and is it protective? I suppose since the slide and new barrel are SS they wont rust easily anyway.

For dot size is the 6.5 the best choice or 8? This is on the rmr adjustable that i am considering.

Last question is about clip draw carry. I have fallen in love with the clip and MIC holster setup. Its by far the most comfortable and i have milt sparks, cross breed, and raven to compare to. What drwas me to the rmr is the talk about how rugged it is so i hope it can survive mexican style carry with the clip. I saw the holster onesource has but for hip carry it looks just as bad as the others in terms of being bulky and poking into my side.

Thanks in advance and i hope to learn more about this so i can make an informed choice.

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Also for the refinish what is onesource using and is it protective? I suppose since the slide and new barrel are SS they wont rust easily anyway.IIRC, Mark uses Norrell's Moly Resin. But I think I read on here that he may be going to Cerakote :confused:

No, refinishing isn't required on any of the slides. Just another customer option.

HamburgO
05-30-2011, 08:49 AM
I have two RMR equipped Glocks so far, a 34 and a 20. Used the stock slide for both, didn't really see the point of spending more on an extra slide. Anyway: Milling on the 34 was done by a local shop prior to availability through OST, and the work is fine. My G20 was done by Mark Housel at OST, and the work is better. As he says above, radiusing the front makes for a cleaner and somehow more precise looking installation. I haven't measured it, but it seems that Mark's slot on my 20 is just a tad deeper than the one on my 34. Finally, it's noteworthy to add that OST and Mark perhaps did not invent, but certainly perfected the installation of the RMR w. the backup iron rear behind the glass, where it belongs. My previous gunsmith swore up and down that it couldn't be done. Oh well... If you want to save money, use the stock slide, and skip refinishing, but definitely have the work done at OST!

ETA: I like the 8 MOA dot for use on the pistol!

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Who do you call at LW if you have a problem/question?

I have attempted to contact them about technical issues and have NEVER received a response to this day.

I assure you that SI will respond and provide much better customer service.+1.

I sent LW's 'armorer' a question (not RDS-related) about a part twice in the last 6 months. Still no response.

SI's customer service is excellent.

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 09:22 AM
AFAIK They only support RMR's (the best choice of course) but I tailor the installation for whatever the customer wants.I was looking around their site in response to this thread.

The Burris FastFire was the only recommended choice for installation I could find listed.

brian45acp
05-30-2011, 09:31 AM
OK guys this is the stuff I wanted to hear. I am sold on OST and will go through them. I knew there was more to it but also figured it wouldnt be the sort of info I would find on the web sites, lol.

As for the back up sights I would prefer to delete them unless someone can give me some more info that I am not understanding. I suppose anything could fail but I shoot well enough point shooting out to about 5-7yrds and for ccw that might be all I need should the RMR fail. I am a person who likes 2 of everything as well for backup but I highly doubt the RMR will fail and if it did at the exact moment I need it most. This is something I would roll the dice on to not have the sight in the way of the DOT and in my opinion it just looks bad with them on there.

Is there anything better about going to a LW slide vs having my stock slide milled? Part of me wants the look of the LW slide but I cant really justify it then why spend the money. I also dont want to keep buying glocks and tossing the slide just because I needed the frame. That would drive me nuts only using half of what I just purchased.

As for DOT choice the web site recommends the 8.0 moa but the adjustable comes in 6.5. Which is the better choice? I like the idea of the adjustable but if its just for brightness is that really necessary to adjust?

I still would like to know if there would be anything wrong with carrying via the clip in terms of adverse affects on the RMR? I wear a T-shirt so sweat would be minimal and the RMR wouldnt be soaked in it but certainly damp at times. I figure some lint and crap will get into the lens but from day to day not enough to obstruct viewing.

In finish choices I want the slide to be protected so I will select a finish. Semi gloss black seems fine so it will wipe clean easily. Does the finish offer any protection like the stock finish for rust? Part of why I love glock is it wont rust out when exposed to sweat or water like my poor 1911's. If I wanted the barrel to be finished at the same time I wonder if they would do that for me?

Thanks for all the help

DaveFJ80
05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll answer from my own personal experience with my TSD-19 that I've been using this past week.

As for the back up sights I would prefer to delete them unless someone can give me some more info that I am not understanding.

For me, the suppressor sights work well by themselves. But I'm also much more accurate when I co-witness the red dot with the front sight. Target acquisition is also faster for me this way.

Is there anything better about going to a LW slide vs having my stock slide milled? Part of me wants the look of the LW slide but I cant really justify it then why spend the money. I also dont want to keep buying glocks and tossing the slide just because I needed the frame. That would drive me nuts only using half of what I just purchased.

For me, I wanted the extra slide so I didn't have to modify my existing Glock slide. That way if I ever decide to sell my gun or something, I can still sell it complete and unmodified.... that was my main reason. Plus, like you said the LW slide looks good. However the stainless LW barrel that they provide with it is a little too much bling for me, so I just use my factory Glock barrel.

But if you have no use for the factory Glock slide, then you can easily sell it off.

As for DOT choice the web site recommends the 8.0 moa but the adjustable comes in 6.5. Which is the better choice? I like the idea of the adjustable but if its just for brightness is that really necessary to adjust?

From what I can recall, wasn't the RMR 8.0 MOA now discontinued and Trijicon moved to the adjustable 6.5 MOA? IMO, the 6.5 MOA is perfect as it's not too small and not too big. Using my 3.0 MOA RDS on my rifle, but I can tell it would be way too small for a handgun. The adjustability is only for the brightness, and that comes in handy depending on your lighting situation.

In finish choices I want the slide to be protected so I will select a finish. Semi gloss black seems fine so it will wipe clean easily. Does the finish offer any protection like the stock finish for rust? Part of why I love glock is it wont rust out when exposed to sweat or water like my poor 1911's. If I wanted the barrel to be finished at the same time I wonder if they would do that for me?

My slide is in their flat black finish, and it holds up well to BreakFast cleaner and other solvents that I've used on my Glock slide. I was hoping that the paint wouldn't strip off of it, but Tom assured me that it would be fine and he was right. The finish they use holds up well, including to holster wear. IMO, glossy black is a little too much for a Glock and flat black goes better with the frame.

GRT45
05-30-2011, 10:15 AM
I was looking around their site in response to this thread.

The Burris FastFire was the only recommended choice for installation I could find listed.

Looking on the LWD web page describing their "Slide Melt" RDS installation, I see this little tidbit:

*This service is unavailable on Glock O.E.M. slides.
That knocks them out of the running for many prospective customers who want the work done on a Glock OEM Tenifer-treated slide. I seem to recall reading at WT (comment from markhousel?) that Tennifer is rough on the milling equipment, but OST/TSD can do the tough job.

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
That knocks them out of the running for many prospective customers who want the work done on a Glock OEM Tennifer-treated slide.Yep.

Mark, do you have to use a more expensive cutter to mill the Tennifer slides?

GRT45
05-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Brian, what attracts me to the Trijicon RMR Adjustable LED (RM07 6.5 MOA) is its versatility. If I'm paying that much money for an optical sight on a pistol, I want the option to use it on another weapon in the future (for example, a shotgun) and have the ability to use it with night vision equipment and illuminators.

I much prefer to have the option to manually adjust brightness to suit my eyesight under varying lighting conditions. You may have young eyes now that adjust easily to lighting ranging from desert sun to total darkness, but as we age it's a great feature to have adjustable brightness to compensate for declining vision amd cater to personal needs and preferences.

I can't verify this personally, but some reviewers have commented that the anti-glare treatment is very good on the Adjustable LED RMR and an improvement over earlier models.

brian45acp
05-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Good info here.

So far I now need to decide LW slide vs Glock slide and with or with out back up sights. Its not the cost I am concerned about its how they just look horrible. That front sight is like a 2 story building and will just snag on stuff unless I do use a holster built for them.

Next week at the USPSA match I will play with my friends DOT and see how I like it. The few times I checked it out I liked it but I never went this far to consider one.

I live in california so it might still be possible to buy just a frame and as a matter of fact I am almost certain I can. Its the same process as the entire gun since here the frame is considered the gun where the slide is not. We can ship slides vis USPS but frames is another story. Considering this I would then go for the LW slide but will investigate further.

I really think this is the future of CCW type setups but when you ask people right now they think its stupid. With products out like the RMR I dont see why it wouldnt be considered as a viable option. The ability to be that accurate and have 1 sight that does it all is just amazing.

I prefer the Wolf guide rod and springs so will the LW barrel work well with that or does their version of the SS guide rod have to be used?

In the end of all this I really hope to not induce any malfunctions because my 21sf has been solid and well trusted. I shoot 800 rounds avg a month in USPSA just for a better form of CCW practice and always shoot from concealment. This gun has become me favorite by far and I would be pissed if anything about the LW slide/barrel caused issues. I dont know if they build the tolerances tighter but that could be good up to a point then bad if the gun quits and looses that glock reliability.

brian45acp
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Great info. I will go for the adjustable then.

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 12:21 PM
That front sight is like a 2 story building and will just snag on stuff unless I do use a holster built for them.Currently, I don't have a milled slide. I mounted a JPoint in a dovetail mount just to see if I liked the concept.

I bought a higher front sight to use with the 'notch' built into the JPoint body. It will work with some set-ups (mine does) but not others.

Anyway, I do have a couple of holsters that I can't use with the higher front sight. However, I did carry it concealed a few times in a bellyband holster and the higher front sight didn't cause me any more discomfort than the standard post.

HamburgO
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Mine bold below:

Good info here.

So far I now need to decide LW slide vs Glock slide and with or with out back up sights. Its not the cost I am concerned about its how they just look horrible. That front sight is like a 2 story building and will just snag on stuff unless I do use a holster built for them.

I was against back-up sights at first. Liked the sight picture much better with just the red-dot in the glass. When the suppressor sights became available, I put a front blade only on the G34 w. RMR, and I'm glad I did. The battery did indeed run out one fine day on the open range, and it was very easy to transition to using the front blade in the RMR glass, kind of like a ghost-ring setup. Not super accurate, but good enough. BTW, I'm using a regular Fricke Gideon holster and a Survival-Sheath shoulder rig for carrying the 34. Neither one was built specifically for this setup, and I have not had any snagging problems with either one...

I really think this is the future of CCW type setups but when you ask people right now they think its stupid. With products out like the RMR I dont see why it wouldnt be considered as a viable option. The ability to be that accurate and have 1 sight that does it all is just amazing.

I think you're right! Yesterday, after not shooting my G34 for almost 4 months, I banged out 35 rds. into two fist-sized groups at 20 yds., rapid fire. No warmup required! The dot was still good and bright, and had obviously not lost zero...

ArmyDoc
05-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Been doing some research and am strongly considering this as an option . My issue is finding the front sight quickly and using a sight good for USPsA and for ccw low light conditions. This seems to be the answer and in terms of accuracy it really stands out to me.

Now my questions are where to get this done? Onesource has a nice package deal and i think a new lone wolf slide would be the best way but am not sure if sending stock slide is better. Also when pricing onesource vs lone wolf they seem very expensive. Please tell me what i am not understanding here but it seems i can do a lone wolf slide and rmr with all the guts and a barrel for $1k and onesource is around $1400. I noticed that just the milling work is double the cost.

I love the idea of an all in one get it done option vs sending things back and forth but not for a $400 difference. Please educate me on the differences and if it is in terms of quality i would love to know that.

Also for the refinish what is onesource using and is it protective? I suppose since the slide and new barrel are SS they wont rust easily anyway.

For dot size is the 6.5 the best choice or 8? This is on the rmr adjustable that i am considering.

Last question is about clip draw carry. I have fallen in love with the clip and MIC holster setup. Its by far the most comfortable and i have milt sparks, cross breed, and raven to compare to. What drwas me to the rmr is the talk about how rugged it is so i hope it can survive mexican style carry with the clip. I saw the holster onesource has but for hip carry it looks just as bad as the others in terms of being bulky and poking into my side.

Thanks in advance and i hope to learn more about this so i can make an informed choice.

Difference is a lot less than $400...

Lonewolf Barrel - 125
LongSlide Complete - 370
RMR - 565
Lonewolf "slidemelt" - 120
Sites - 50
total 1230 $1400 - 1230 = $170

A few points:

Lonewolf cuts a straight slot across the slide and sticks the RMR in the opening.
I radius the front to match the RMR (both ends for other sights) and is a much cleaner installation.
AFAIK They only support RMR's (the best choice of course) but I tailor the installation for whatever the customer wants.
Obviously LW can sell their slides and internal parts for less, even wholesale for that matter, as they are the manufacturer.
Adding that straight slot to the program when the have these CNC'd has a very small marginal cost.
If I did that kind of installation, I could charge less too.
I consider my installation to be higher quality work.
Does it function differently? Maybe not.

Who do you call at LW if you have a problem/question?

I have attempted to contact them about technical issues and have NEVER received a response to this day.

I assure you that SI will respond and provide much better customer service.

Couple of questions for you -
- Can I order the solid top long slide instead of the open one? I was thinking it would be less likely to get as dirty etc, and might decrease muzzle flip slightly with hot loads. Do you think this is true?
- Can I order the threaded 6 inch barrel with thread protector instead?
- Is there a difference in the mounting of the dual illumination vs Red Dot? (in other words, could I get the dual illumination now, and switch it out later if I decided I liked the red dot better?
- Lastly, What is the recoild unit you mention on the TSD site - does that mean the lonewolf spring and stainless guide rod?

Thanks

M5NSX
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Brian,
I recently had a 34 slide done with a 8.0 RMR. You do want the back up sights as they will help in acquiring the target and dot. I am still "learning" how to shoot with an RMR on a pistol and am much better with iron sights on my 19 in tactical fast shooting scenarios. Haven't given up on the concept yet but might not of done it had I had a chance to play with one first??? Also, you can purchase RMR's elsewhere on line and save at least $100 and send it to OST to install.
Good luck!!

MrPink
05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a 20SF on it's way back from TSD. RMR done on the Glock slide. I can report next week. Chose the Glock route because a whole new gun is only 600 bucks.

Coresong
06-07-2011, 12:40 AM
I should have a G21 anyday now (Tom, you did say this week... ;)) and will be happy to report back. I have redone the grip on my frame to help it point more naturally for me (and to roughen it up a bit, its far to slick from the factory for my tastes). Very eager to see how quickly my tired old eyes adapt. The big selling point for me was the cowitnessed silencer sights, I hope muscle memory will line everything back up if I just let it. Time will tell . . .

BTW: I intend to make my own leather for it, Kydex is fast, but it is loud and lacks the " soul " of good old hide!