PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hungarian AK mags - mag wells in general due to new TGI AMD65 Purchase

combatengineer
05-28-2011, 01:33 AM
I recently purchased a TGI AMD 65 and there is a little mag wobble and I was curious - how much is acceptable? It fires fine, but I was concerned about reliability issues. I started measuring AK mags and they measured 1.020-1.024". I measured my SGL 21 and the magwell was 1.026" nice fit. My AMD 65 has a magwell of 1.034" - so that is a difference of .010-.014" play. Are Hungarian AK mags wider and if not -what are the tightest fitting mags? Also - what is the true sorry of the TGI AMD 65s built on FEG SA 2000 receivers as in are they built kits or were they single stack AKs made in Hungary with original barrels? I would appreciate any info - thanks.

WalkerAK74M
05-28-2011, 09:57 AM
The barrels are original... I know that. My FEG AMD65 wobbles a bit, but its nothing like some crap WASRs out there. I have had issues of having to apply insane pressure to release certain mags occasionally, but its not bad. I have found the best mags for mine are US Palms and Soviet Bakelites.

AKSteve
05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Also - what is the true sorry of the TGI AMD 65s built on FEG SA 2000 receivers as in are they built kits or were they single stack AKs made in Hungary with original barrels? I would appreciate any info - thanks.

Half right. TGI AMD-65 are built on single stack FEG-made postban SA-2000M receivers, assembled in the US on demilled AMD-65 kits with original Hungarian barrels. When the FEG arsenal went out of business, a US firm (I believe Houston's Global Trades) went and bought out their remaining parts and receivers. This is how the Hungarian receivers came in without SA-2000M parts attached to them.

Hungarian parts and mags are built very close to spec. If you are having a problem it's likely due to the conversion from single-stack.

combatengineer
05-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks AKSteve - I have heard alot of things / rumors about the TGI AMD65s from other forums about Hungarian mags being wider or that the mag wells were made to accomodate Tapco mags that came with the rifle and this clears it up. I am still happy with my purchase because I think the rifle is a great deal at $450 for an almost all foreign made AK with a FEG receiver, matching serial #s, sidefolder, and an orginal chrome lined barrel even if TGI had to put it together here.

Dr. Keith Seto
05-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Mine seem to wobble as much as my other AKs but are otherwise fine.

A friend has one that has the magwell cut so large that a loaded mag won't stay locked into place. TGI says that they don't build guns anymore, so he is SOL as far as warranty. He is going to have to get a Nodak receiver and get it rebuilt.

hank327
05-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Half right. TGI AMD-65 are built on single stack FEG-made postban SA-2000M receivers, assembled in the US on demilled AMD-65 kits with original Hungarian barrels. When the FEG arsenal went out of business, a US firm (I believe Houston's Global Trades) went and bought out their remaining parts and receivers. This is how the Hungarian receivers came in without SA-2000M parts attached to them.

Hungarian parts and mags are built very close to spec. If you are having a problem it's likely due to the conversion from single-stack.

I believe you are correct about Global Trades and the FEG receivers. Back in 2001 I bought a Global Trades
SSR-85B AKM directly from them at their booth at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show. It's a Polish underfolder parts kit built on a FEG SA-85M receiver and very nicely executed. As for Hungarian magazines, I have a few 20 rounders and they fit in my Chinese, Hungarian (SSR-85B) and Russian (SGL-21) AKs about the same. There is a little wobble but no more than is usual in Kalashnikovs. I really like the handiness of the 20 rounders and that's what I keep in my home defense AK.

tyrant
05-30-2011, 08:55 AM
IMO the AMD's are the best deal going right now. Ive been using Bulgarian mags from AIM. They fit perfect on my AMD. Not to tight nor to loose, just right.