PDA

View Full Version : Popular but useless gear

Trace Heskett
12-22-2003, 08:54 AM
Everybody has bought their share of really popular gear/weapons that turned out to be "not so effective" when you went to use them.

My favorite is the door knob alarms that they advertise for travelers. I actually know a woman who bragged she never locked her hotel door because she had this bazillion decibel device that would notify her of intruders. The part she left out was the fact that she drank heavily before bedtime so it would take C4 in her underwear to warn her of intruders. Of course, one night someone snuck in and walked off with everything that wasn't nailed down. Her response . . . "that was the ONE time I forgot to turn my alarm on".

Anybody else want to share?

Scout
12-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Got my share of holsters that didn't turn out to be comfortable for carry or didn't fit right.

A LONG time ago actually saw a guy shoot his holster off his gun in training b/c the belt clip failed and the whole sucker came out WITH the gun when the d00d drew his gun.

John Kuhlman
12-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Hands down, the biggest POS I've purchased to date has been the PagerPal holster. A novel concept, but probably only works with Seacamps and other lightweight handguns. Even a Glock 26 makes the rig pull the waistline of your pants out and down...big time sag.

MACOP
12-22-2003, 12:25 PM
I vote for the rubber grip 'sleeves' as exemplified by the Houge "Hand-All".

I have yet to see one make it thru a 50 round qual without moving substantially around the frame, making a consistent draw impossible.

We have a recently retired Captain (30 years on the job) who used one on his issue gun. He had it on BACKWARDS, meaning the finger grooves were on the backstrap. When it was mentioned that it was not on correctly, he stated he liked it that way. He never did move it around. Thank goodness he never left the station.

Plus, on a gun like the USP series with the mag release that moves downward to release the mag, the rubber sleeve can move under the mag catch, at least making it difficult to remove the magazine.

I have tried the Houge brand, and the Uncle Mikes brand. A number of times actually. I will admit to liking the 'feel' but can't get past the movement issue. Maybe if they had some self adhesive or something.
It's good to have a plan.
SteveB

CarlosDJackal
12-22-2003, 01:35 PM
I vote for the rubber grip 'sleeves' as exemplified by the Houge "Hand-All".

I have yet to see one make it thru a 50 round qual without moving substantially around the frame, making a consistent draw impossible...

I prevented this by placing a piece of skateboard tape underneath the grips on the front strap of the pistol's handle. I also trim it so that it doesn't interfere with the magazine release.

The most useless crap I have ever purchased is a steel recoil spring assembly I bought from "Omega Gun Werks" for my Glock 21. It was supposed to help tame the recoil (back when I didn't know how to shoot). The darn thing would cause failures gor the slide to go into full battery and even though the crook...err...owner of this "establishment", a Mr. Hansen, "guaranteed the products he sold, I never did get my money back (even though his wife signed for the return package). It wasn't worth pursuing the $35 I lost back in 1996 or I would have sued the bastard.

Bodfish
12-22-2003, 04:48 PM
I question the value of the Barami holster grip ( or whatever they call it) with the "hook" built into the grip panel to allow waistband carry without a holster. It isn't very secure, and won't hold the gun in place during dynamic movement. It seems like yet another answer to a nonexistent question. Conventional holsters work just fine.

Yamdog
12-22-2003, 05:24 PM
I had the misfortune of buying one of those Blade-Tech holsters that are IWB and you can tuck your shirt in as well. I don't know what I was thinking because I bought it for a Glock 23 and it prints so bad it is useless. I have no idea if it would work with a thinner gun, but I don't think so. I think Blade-Tech is a great manufacturer, but this one is a dud.

jacketch
12-26-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't have one but how about a tactical glass breaker for under barrel rail mount.

http://www.tacticalshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1410

Yikes, and for only $179!!!!!

InTheBlack
12-26-2003, 10:11 PM
IMO the Pager Pal suffers from two problems:

1) Not having enough "drop." The grip needs to be positioned beneath the beltline, not behind the belt. Maybe if they sized and shaped it to particular gun frames instead of just having two sizes fit all ???

2) The belt clip attached to the fake pager is an inverted "L" shape, with about 1/2 inch of depth. This allows everything to hang vertically over the thickness of your belt and pants.

Unfortunately, a _real_ pager has its clip hinged on the back of the pager, and the inverted "V" does NOT fit properly over the thickness of belt + pants.

So you have go with one of their attachments, which defeats the "concealed" aspect to someone who is familiar with the holster.

Have to disagree about the Hogue Hand-All sleeves. They don't move on my Glocks. In fact, what I do is set them up with the finger grooves a little bit off center so my finger bones fit better.

Ragsbo
12-28-2003, 06:22 AM
I have to agree with the rubber slip on grips for the Glock. I had nothing but bad experences with them.
1. Did not stay in place and covered up the mag release
2. Just didn't feel right in my hand, felt to thick

What gets me is reading about all these fancy add on/custimized triggers or whatevers that you "must" have so the gun will be the ultimate weapon. You can spend more on all these things than you do your house. To me, you need a good quality firearm, good training, and good practice. Spend the your money on these, not all the newest and groovest gismos that come down the line and you will be miles ahead.

betterluckytg
01-01-2004, 12:55 PM
"It's a poor workman who blames his tools." Ben Franklin, perhaps?

Lobo103
01-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you guy's have had such rough luck w/ the Hogue slip on's for the Glock. I've been using them on my 23 (old style frame) for several years and have had no complaints. Are you using them on the old frame w/out the finger grooves or on the new frame? You do have to do a little cutting to make sure the Mag release is unobstructed.

rminto
01-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Wow, I'm surprised you guy's have had such rough luck w/ the Hogue slip on's for the Glock. I've been using them on my 23 (old style frame) for several years and have had no complaints. Are you using them on the old frame w/out the finger grooves or on the new frame? You do have to do a little cutting to make sure the Mag release is unobstructed.

I agree. I have a Hogue grip on my Glock 20 (with finger grooves) and I haven't had any trouble at all. I love them, but I also have bigger hands. The grip really makes a difference for me. Now getting it on the gun in the first place was a task, but a local gun shop owner gave me a tip on using a hairdryer to heat up the rubber and that did the trick.

-Ryan

chopstick1
01-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I bought a muzzle break/flash supp "add on" for my sks. you're suppose to be able to just "push it on", and secure it with a horizontal pin that went underneath it. S@#T, after 4 rounds the damn thing blew off 15 yards downrange!!! I'll probably just get it welded on
I've had no problems with the houge handball sleeves. I've hand one on my s&W sigma for years without problems

Brass Balls
01-23-2004, 11:08 PM
I bought a Laser Max for my first Glock. Big waste of money. The first one's lens broke and to LM's credit they replaced it with a new one. However they both would turn on and off by themselves due to a poor switch design. Even if it worked correctly it's of very limited use imo.

I have an informal rule of thumb that I follow now. Shoot at least a thousand rounds of ammo through any gun before buying accessories for it.

Lysander
01-27-2004, 10:30 PM
See I've got a rubber grip on my 21, put some skate tape under it and it hasn't moved, even after 500 rd shooting days.

Haven't had any real bad purchasing experience, I do my research and find out as much as possible first.

QuietProtector
01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Thunderwear!