PDA

View Full Version : Concealment questions

JustMe
05-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Finally got my paws on a pistol with a red dot today. It used an adapter, not milled in. Funny how even after I was warned I aimed high looking for the front site (original). Training kicked right in.

I see the major height issue with this config, and the huge benefit of the milling mount's reduced height.

I'm using the Bladetech UHC at about the 4 oclock position. Sorry, I'm to chicken to appendix carry, my hat's off to you that do. With the milled in Red Dot how bad does the Red Dot print on clothing? I'm a tall skinny guy.

Also, does the height of the silencer sites prohibit use on most commercial holsters, such as the UCH (which I like)?

I loved the Red Dot, as I knew I would. I think the best sales tool for the concept is getting one in your paws and actually seeing it work / siting targets at various ranges. We did not have time for me to shoot it, unfortunately. :(

TIA!

Mickey Rourke
05-26-2011, 02:41 AM
I've been using a G19 with a JPoint in a dovetail mount. I can't address the 4:00 issue, as I carry AIWB exclusively now.

I added a higher front sight to use with the 'notch' in the JPoint. While it has worked fine in my Dale Fricke holsters, others I have won't work at all now. However, when I get the slide milled I won't need as high a front blade and the other holsters may be usable again.

JustMe
05-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Thank you smince.

Anybody have any comments about hip conceal carry and the red dot height?

HamburgO
05-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Baggy shirt? Jacket, vest? I often carry a G34 w. RDS and tall front sight in a Gideon Elite (Fricke) and don't have problems w. fit or printing. Can't say I'm skinny, but regardless, you might give the Gideon a try. It's absolutely the most low-profile holster for hip carry that I've found so far.

JustMe
05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Do you not carry appendix because of comfort or for fear factor?

fear factor :(

I've still got a long way to go to get "there".

Baggy shirt? Jacket, vest? I often carry a G34 w. RDS and tall front sight in a Gideon Elite (Fricke) and don't have problems w. fit or printing. Can't say I'm skinny, but regardless, you might give the Gideon a try. It's absolutely the most low-profile holster for hip carry that I've found so far.

Thank you!

Mickey Rourke
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM

I've still got a long way to go to get "there".I wore my G30 in a Summer Special AIWB (not the best combo when one is about 40lbs overweight) around the house unloaded for a few weeks before I ever hit the street with it loaded.

JustMe
05-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I wore my G30 in a Summer Special AIWB (not the best combo when one is about 40lbs overweight) around the house unloaded for a few weeks before I ever hit the street with it loaded.

In one of the Suarez training videos the instructor mentioned having used Airsoft to overcome this mental barrior. I've hit a hard wall with a number of issues within the limits of what can be done in live fire drills and scenarios.

Simply put, I need some force of force experiance. I need to "be shot", and feel pain, and get the negative reinforcement ... Because I DO NOT top off, etc.

Per the video, I think FOF will be a usefull path to attempt a move to apendix carry. While shooting my fun bits with airsoft is not something I want to do, I'll get over if it it happens. Another "self correctly error" so to speak. I've no fear of that, I learned long ago that education is expensive. Just trying to minize the permanance of the expensive errors .... So, for me, I think that's how this issue is going to play out.

I think I'm mostly stuck on the plateu I'm at until then. Not a bad thing. I've gone from being fearful of carrying a gun ("not for me") to conceal carrying, not a trival step. There are still some misc mental processes settling in, and trying to solidify the basics. But I am looking forward to moving forward from here!

barnetmill
05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Is there anyway to modify a dale fricke holster intended for a plain glock to handle the RMR and still work with other glocks?

Juju
05-31-2011, 12:41 AM

I've still got a long way to go to get "there".

AirSoft will work, but it is not the same. It is not a "Real" gun or your actual carry piece. It has a different trigger weight (1/2 pound) and different feel. I recommend carrying your EDC "without" 1 in the chamber for awhile. Only kydex will do--I don't understand leather for Glocks. Avoid thin kydex due to possible breakage. Fricke solves the problems. I wear my AA up to 18 hrs. a day, mostly while driving and I forget it is there. Avoid speed reholstering--I still see people do this nonsense. If the trigger doesn't get depressed after awhile then it is a non-issue.

Mickey Rourke
05-31-2011, 02:51 AM
Is there anyway to modify a dale fricke holster intended for a plain glock to handle the RMR and still work with other glocks?I made a cut-out in my Archangel holster to fit my Jpoint mounted on one of my G19's.

My other 19 and 26 still fit fine.

JustMe
05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
AirSoft will work, but it is not the same. It is not a "Real" gun or your actual carry piece. It has a different trigger weight (1/2 pound) and different feel. I recommend carrying your EDC "without" 1 in the chamber for awhile. Only kydex will do--I don't understand leather for Glocks. Avoid thin kydex due to possible breakage. Fricke solves the problems. I wear my AA up to 18 hrs. a day, mostly while driving and I forget it is there. Avoid speed reholstering--I still see people do this nonsense. If the trigger doesn't get depressed after awhile then it is a non-issue.

Good point regarding still breaking down the journey into a few more steps.

Check on the Kydex. That's been drilled into me plenty of times over the last year.

Check on the speed reholstering, our saying/reminder has been "Nobody ever won a gun fight with the fastest reholster". And the "reluctant reholster" of the appendix carry folks is obvious to. Not to mention clothing issues that have been drilled into us etc. I've gotten fouled up a couple times, fortunately not to the point of trigger issues but more than enough that it's a consious thought with every reholster.

Thanks! :)

CR Williams
05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Is there anyway to modify a dale fricke holster intended for a plain glock to handle the RMR and still work with other glocks?

The Archangel can be trimmed to accommodate the RMR if you want to forgo the suppressor sights. You won't have BUIS, but if you can live with that the AA will work.

JustMe
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
the suppressor sights.

Would someone be kind enough to post the height of those sights above the top surface of the slide?

My UCH has a LOT of clearance, far more than needed for standard sights. I'd like to verify the clearence.

Thanks!

Mickey Rourke
05-31-2011, 04:27 PM
The Archangel can be trimmed to accommodate the RMR if you want to forgo the suppressor sights. You won't have BUIS, but if you can live with that the AA will work.My JPoint is dovetail mounted on my 19 (at least for now).

I added a higher front sight (.300 or .315, IIRC) to use with the notch in the JPoint body as BUIS. It still fits fine in my AA and an Uncle Mike's Paddle holster, but not any of my other rigs.

JustMe
05-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I added a higher front sight (.300 or .315, IIRC)

Awesome, thanks!

Then looks like plenty of room to spare but will need the heatgun for the reddot housing.

Looks like I can still avoid starting a holster drawer. :D I know it's comming. :)

badgerw
05-31-2011, 07:11 PM
I have carried my G26 with an RMR for a year. Initially at 3:30 in a Tucker "The Answer", more recently AIWB in a Tucker Cover-up. No printing issues at all in either location. I just added an RMR to my G19. I carry it AIWB in a Cover-up.

Bill

JustMe
05-31-2011, 07:32 PM
:)

Me thinks there is a red dot in the very near future.

I originally rejected the Lonewolf slide option but after thinking about it all this time it's starting to grow on me.

It is the LoneWolf slide that comes standard with the front press check groves? Or did folks do that seperately? The skin on my hands tend to be dry, getting the needed stiction for front press check is near impossible. My fingers just sliiiiiide down that slick Glock surface.