PDA

View Full Version : Cold bluing where slide was milled...

FRISCH
05-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I sent my glock 17 slide off to be milled on April 29. It will be here on Friday, May 13. Now that is service!!!! I had the slide cold blued, but now I am wondering if I should have had a coating put on for more rust protection??? I live in a high humidity area and I sweat like crazy. Do any of you have a problem with rust??? How do you keep this area protected? Thank you!

M5NSX
05-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Sent my Glock 34 slide out on April 30th, got it back on May 11th. This was exactly one week after they received it!! Awesome turn around time and work. Already got it sighted in. You don't realize how unsteady you are with a pistol until you put a RMR on it!!!

FRISCH
05-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Tomorrow will be just like Christmas! I will take it out on Saturday to sight it in.

FRISCH
05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Mark,
Thank you for the suggestions. This is my carry gun, so it's not going to win any beauty contests. I will just give it a coat of paint.

barnetmill
05-12-2011, 10:58 PM
The Cold Blue provides a level of protection, but is not what would be considered a corrosion proof finish by any means.
1. Wait and see if there is actually a problem. Worst case, if you remove the RMR to change the battery and there is rust it can be removed and the surface either cold blued again or coated with something else.

I can guarantee that in my climate for summer carry (summer beginning in may and goes to october) if you are actually exposed to outdoor temperatures and humidity that you will sweat all over your gun. I have observed minor corrosion on glocks and stainless steel guns. I have a stainless steel S&W magazine that has a rust spot now that I want to remove for example.
I was not aware that the battery contacts needed protection. As soon as I can get a slide or another glock pistol I have decided that I want to get the RMR setup also. But it will be trial thing until I am sure that it is reliable for use in the deep south by me. I tend to be a lot harder on guns than some others relative to corrosion. In the future I want a gun for boating and the RMR setup will give the extra range needed when out in open places. And of course we still have the iron sights. I believe that one of the optional RMR sights that are offered do not need batteries and that may be the way for me to go.

M5NSX
05-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Well Frisch?? How do you like your 17 with the RMR???

silversport
05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
c'mon...we got's ta know...
Bill

FRISCH
05-16-2011, 06:30 PM
I didn't make it out last Saturday. I hope to make it out this weekend if it does not rain. The slide looks great and OST was great to do business with.