PDA

View Full Version : Close Range Gunfighting & knife course

John Silver
12-16-2003, 08:36 AM
I just returned from Gabe's Close Range Gun fighting course outside of Las Vegas.

For those reading this wondering if you should take the course: a rousing yes.

I was very impressed with the actual techniques and teaching style. Gabe's willingness to go against convention on how he runs a hot range (that he does, even) reflects well on his skill as an instructor and his desire to impart meaningful skills and techniques.

The course is unique in the aggression that Gabe stresses with the techniques and in the fact that it is very real world/pull no punches oriented. Many claim to do this, but few actually do. The focus is on doing what works, addressing realistic threats and scenarios, and not being tied to any particular dogma.

I really like Gabe's "tactical reload" (or whatever it is being called this week.) The old technique of juggling two magazines in the weak hand was fine for skinny single stacks, not so good with my Browning mags, and just wasn't going to hold up with Glock mags once the adrenaline started to pump. Gabe's is a bit slower, but it is so much more positive and uses major muscle movement. Added bonus that it will work with European heel-clip style magazine releases.

The post-shooting lecture was excellent. I've sat through many such lectures, read volumes on it, and this was by far the best treatment of the subject I've come across.

The knife course was very well done and did not make any pretense about being anything other than what it was: an introduction to the knife which will impart basics that can be built upon over time.

Gabe manages to have a hard spirit without having a hardened heart. That's a rare combination in men with his background and I take it as a testament to his faith. He's also managed to be aggressive and well known without needing to own a stretch hat, and I commend him for that. Having the raw knowledge or skill doesn't make one a teacher. That takes something else. Gabe has the skills, the background, and the love of teaching which made the class a success. Gabe, thanks for putting on an excellent class and teaching us what you've learned the hard way over the years.

I also want to thank Dale Fricke, Gabe's friend, for all of the help he gave us students during the three days we were shivering in the Nevada desert.

For those who took the class: it was excellent to meet all of you. I was very impressed with the skill level shown by all of the students. This was truly a group of people who had a desire to learn and were continuing their education. Sweatnbullets, thanks for the loan of the chair. Sam Spade, great to run into you again and find out who you are. It is a small world.

After this course, I've made a tentative pact with myself to take at least two classes a year from Gabe. This will depend on a closer analysis of budget and time, but it should give those who read this an idea of how worthwhile I think his instruction is.

Weak points: I was going to say I wanted a syllabus, but I understand he's going to post one on the web. I'd like to see specifically where my hits where on the moving and shooting portions, but I must admit I don't see how to do this and not increase the cost with 10X as many targets used and suffer from burning too much time changing targets. Geez, maybe I needed a laser. :rolleyes:

Again, Gabe, thanks for the class. It was a great three days.

John Kuhlman
12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
... I am going to need to take more courses with Gabe. The rifle course in Elko looks tempting.

Come to the light...come to the light. ;)

Hope to see you in Elko. I'm working on my sales pitch to the wife right now.

John

John Silver
12-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey, John, for some reason I didn't know you were on the board here.

Thanks again for picking up dinner.

I hope I can join you guys in Elko for the rifle class. A couple of my friends are going to be going to it. Should be a good one.

John Silver
12-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Well, it looks like I'm mixing names and people again.

Mark - thank you for the Mexican dinner.

I tell you, I'm working on this names/people thing, but I don't seem to be getting any better.

John Silver
12-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Sweatnbullets,

Thanks for the lead on polite-society.org. Looks to be an interesting place. I just registered, but seem to be having problems pulling up any posts.

Once I get it figured out, I'm going to enjoy reading what others have said over there.

Anthony
01-03-2004, 03:07 PM
DF,
Did Gabe smile during the course :p ( At least you've met the man.)

Regards,
Anthony.

John Silver
01-03-2004, 05:39 PM
You know I also used the word "giddy" in the exact same context when telling a friend about the course.

MTS
01-03-2004, 05:50 PM
I do not know how this visious rumor keeps getting started. I have went to the archives and found another picture of him smiling.

He is with four members of 'ERTZAINTZA', that is the Basque word for police. It is simple to pronounce, just start off like it is spelled and about half-way dislocate your jaw.:)

For anyone interested here is their web site (in english);

http://www.ertzaintza.net/ingles/html/home.html

Charles Rives
01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
I can't help but imagine the smile coming in this context. :D

- Chuck