PDA

View Full Version : Side-by-side photo of DeltaPoint and RMR sight picture

jg74851
01-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Okay, I'm not a blind one-legged squirrel, but I do play one on TV.

Before you complain, I will admit that this is not a scientific test, but here goes. I have both the DeltaPoint and RMR, and have not yet mounted them. I set them side by side on a platform at about 18.5 inches from the objective lens of a Nikon D700 with 60mm Micro Nikkor lens. The camera and the RDS's were located indoors in a fair to poorly lit room. The sights were pointed outside through a glass door.

I had to use manual focus, and was pleased to confirm that the dots came into focus at infinity.

The RMR model was the RM2, with the supposedly 8 m.o.a. dot. I say supposedly, because the DeltaPoint is supposedly 7.5 m.o.a., but the RMR red dot appears subjectively to my eyes, smaller than the triangle of the DeltaPoint. However, again subjectively, the RMR dot appears brighter to my eyes. In one photo you can see the dots, and in the other photo, you can't see the dots, because I focused on the the sights themselves to give you an idea of the setup.

I'm going to keep both sights, and am trying to decide which sight to mount on which pistol. Photos below:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/rds-1.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/rds-2.jpg

GRT45
01-18-2011, 08:37 PM
jg74851, that's an interesting and useful comparison for those unfamiliar with these two models of RDS optics. Thanks for taking time to set it up and document it here.

For one thing, seeing the top photo helps me easily visualize why a larger, recommended 8 MOA RMR dot is sufficient for a pistol at self defense ranges and know a 4 MOA dot would not suit my eyes.

I suppose we must all wait for advances in material science to achieve the ruggedness of the RMR combined with the exceptionally open sight picture of the DeltaPoint. Too bad, I want it today!

jg74851
01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the comments. I will try to do a sunny outdoor comparison when the weather and time permits.

Grey Man
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
The Deltapoint has the bigger window, but maybe more prone to breakage. How about you drop your deltapoint mounted on a Glock from 6' so we know for sure ?

I had a friend in High school, really funny sharp guy . . . we had one class where we were the only 2 guys in a class of 30 girls, they would act especially ditzy in front of him for some odd reason. . .in any case one girl said to another "well . . .I am wearing the CUTEST underwear EVER!"

Ezra grinned, pointed his finger at her and loudly exclaimed "PROVE IT!"

That shut em up for a while bwahahahah

in all seriousness . . .dropping delta point from 6 feet would be a bad idea. . . RMR - its gonna leave a mark on the exterior but it'll be fine

Lucky Strike
01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
in all seriousness . . .dropping delta point from 6 feet would be a bad idea. . . RMR - its gonna leave a mark on the exterior but it'll be fine

Do you have anything to back this statement up or are you just guessing?

Interesting that the glass on the RMR looks darker then the Deltapoint. I wonder if it's some coating to work with IR stuff.

Thanks to the OP for providing the pics. One of the great things about forums like these is getting info like that. Interesting that in the head to head comparison the RMR looked brighter. One of the complaints I've read about deltapoints is that they're too bright.

JustMe
01-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for those pics! Now I know what people are talking about!

I say supposedly, because the DeltaPoint is supposedly 7.5 m.o.a., but the RMR red dot appears subjectively to my eyes, smaller than the triangle of the DeltaPoint.

On a hunch I just did a quick Photoshop. I took the RMR and then placed it into the triangle. Note, the circle is almost tangential to the edges of the triangle. This probably explains why they have similar rating but the triangle is so much bigger.

HTH

jg74851
01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Here are some more photos taken this past weekend. The IPSC target is at 25 yeards. The camera is again a Nikon D700 with 60mm lens. Exposure was 1/2000 at f/5.6. i forgot the ISO, but it is in the exif data. The time was about 2:30 PM, and the sky was overcast and moderately bright. The two close-ups are actually cropped from the central part of the image. The DeltaPoint shows some blooming in these conditions, and the RMR is about the same as before (some blooming in my opinion). The setup is the same for both sights. Sights are about 18 inches from the lens. Focus is on infinity in the close-ups.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/rmr-1.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/delta-1.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/setup-1.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/setup-3.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj18/jdgmcloud/setup-2.jpg

GRT45
01-24-2011, 01:13 PM
These are very useful, carefully executed comparisons. Again, thanks!

I'm liking the 8 MOA RMR red dot more and more.

- GRT45

P.S. jg74851, admit it, you're an engineer, aren't you? If you're not, you should have been. :biggrin:

Lucky Strike
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
more great pictures......thanks for taking the time/effort to do this!

i think the deltapoint reticle at like 3/4 or 2/3 of it's current size would be perfect

jg74851
01-24-2011, 02:38 PM
These are very useful, carefully executed comparisons. Again, thanks!

I'm liking the 8 MOA RMR red dot more and more.

- GRT45

P.S. jg74851, admit it, you're an engineer, aren't you. If you're not, you should have been. :biggrin:

No, not an engineer. I'm somewhat of an endangered species: a judge who believes in the Second Amendment.

Nanuk
01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
That is a great review.....

Thanks for the work involved, I really like the RMR.

Nate Goodman
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Neat to see a member of the judiciary here on WT. Good work sir.

s4141
01-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Thank you for this comparison.

Poohgyrr
02-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks, and for the pictures too; they answer my question about dot size on target.

Jesse Tischauser
04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice pics!!! thanks.

Scott Vandiver
06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures. One thing to consider here is how the eye will focus on the shape of the red dot.
if it is round putting a round shape in the middle of a target is fairly natural. this is an aide to shooting center mass type shots but can hinder the shooter trying to make a precision shot. The triangle does the same thing for speed but gives a fine reference point for precision shooting. I have a Trijicon 1-4x24 scope with a Triangle reticle. Up close I use just like a red dot for fast target aquisition but if I want more precision shot placement I crank it up to 4 power and use the tip of the triangle. This works well I have made head shots at 200 yards this way. Remember an 8 moa dot will be 8" at 100 yards the average head is about 8" wide.

gator378
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the pictures. One thing to consider here is how the eye will focus on the shape of the red dot.
if it is round putting a round shape in the middle of a target is fairly natural. this is an aide to shooting center mass type shots but can hinder the shooter trying to make a precision shot. The triangle does the same thing for speed but gives a fine reference point for precision shooting. I have a Trijicon 1-4x24 scope with a Triangle reticle. Up close I use just like a red dot for fast target aquisition but if I want more precision shot placement I crank it up to 4 power and use the tip of the triangle. This works well I have made head shots at 200 yards this way. Remember an 8 moa dot will be 8" at 100 yards the average head is about 8" wide.
Thanks this is the answer I have been looking for. Considering the deltapoint with triangle. Have the Jpoint with dot. Was not sure how to use the triangle, and I believe you answered the question.

Topmaul
07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I am thinking about the Deltapoint but the reviews seem to be 50/50 and I'm not sure which way to go. I was at work today thinking I'm going to buy a Deltapoint I looked at them then went home and started reading reviews. I could go a little more money and get the RMR and never have to worry about it. Because where I'm going to use this site it's going to take a beating.

azerious85
07-12-2011, 12:16 AM
thanks for your effort in doing this!