PDA

View Full Version : Holsters with clips...

SMDS141
09-29-2003, 08:14 AM
I no longer carry any, and I mean any holsters with clips. I have no need to ditch my equipment quickly/instantly so I now use belt loop stlye holsters exclusively. Like IWB by Kramer, or pancake style by some others...well you get the idea. Under duress you are going to be a lot more agressive in your moves, I guess this equates to being more inclined to gross motor skills than fine. What convinced me was someone using their car as a deadly weapon, driving at me in a menacing way and as I drew my gun, you guessed it, I drew holster and all. Luckily the driver was acting in this manner because he was DUI and not because he was trying to kill me or anyones else. At the last second his alcohol soaked brain registered my agressive pointing at him, with what might be a weapon, and he veered off. Lucky for me and my holster covered gun. Now a days they have some fancy clips with a 'J' shape to keep this from happening and I am sure other modifications I am unaware of and even though I haven't tried any I am sure they are fine. If you feel the need to have a holster that can be taken off instantly then go the 'J' clip route or something similiar, but for your own safety stay away from the traditional clips. There are two ways to learn in life....from our own mistakes and the mistakes of others. Learning from others mistakes is always less painfull. Knowing I am not the only one this has ever happened to, take it from us, it's not a good situation.

Dave T
09-29-2003, 09:25 AM
I'll back up SMDS141 on this one.

Back in the early 1980s my department got scared by the dreaded "liability dragon" and decided they should qualify people with the gun they carried. Prior to that, detectives and under cover deputies qualified with their 4" 357s or 5" Government Models, then switched to something smaller and lighter for concealed wear.

To make a long story shorter, the qualification course I designed was close and fast (by LEO standards) and many a deputy failed to qualify the first time out because 50% of the time his clipped on IWB holster came out with the gun - considerably slowing down the time for the first shot.

I get lots of people in my CCW classes who know nothing about this stuff. One thing I try to impress on them is to avoid metal clips on holsters.

HKinPA
10-06-2003, 06:01 AM
You guys are making me start to think twice. I recently bought a G26 and a nylon DeSantis IWB with metal clip. I havent had any problems with any of the practice draws so far. Then again they havent been under stress either. Any suggestions on a more secure rig?

Be careful out there

dgg9
10-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Any suggestions on a more secure rig?

Sidearmor and Comp-tac make Kydex IWB with very reliable J hooks. People here rave about the Gurka IWB but I've never seen one. If you prefer leather, can also vouch for Milt Sparks IWB -- they have a leather loops that snap shut, so you can insert the IWB in place without undoing the belt.

MTS
10-06-2003, 06:32 AM
I can second about the Comp-Tac.

I have been using one for 6 months or so now with zero problems.

Of course it is more than just a clip. It has two "hooks" that lock over your belt.

I think the idea of clip on holsters is that it is not a bad idea, just that some designs are poorly executed.

SMDS141
10-06-2003, 08:53 AM
You guys are making me start to think twice. I recently bought a G26 and a nylon DeSantis IWB with metal clip. I havent had any problems with any of the practice draws so far. Then again they havent been under stress either. Any suggestions on a more secure rig?

Be careful out there
Since you already have the holster, see if you can modify the clip. Either call the manufacturer and see if they will modify it for you. Or if you're so inclined, crimp/bend it yourself. Bend it so the end of the clip hooks under your belt snugly.

I only had the problem once, but it was enough for me. I wouldn't have believed it for all the practice I had with my gun/holster, but under stress funny, or not so funny, things happen.

Some links:
http://www.action-direct.com/m14a.html
http://www.holster-connection.com/html/galco/g_h2_push_up.html
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1377.php
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/SIDEARMORIWB

Copied from another URL:
Q: What’s the difference between the J-Hooks and Belt loops?

A: The difference is a trade-off in stability for convenience.

Belt loops completely encompass the belt. This creates a very stable method for carrying your Inside the Waistband holster. They help keep the holster secure to the belt without very much movement. They also provide the greatest amount of stability when drawing and re-holstering your firearm.

J- Hooks trade some of this stability for the convenience of being able to easily remove your holstered weapon from your belt, without having to remove your belt.

I would add that either of the above styles give you peace of mind that your holster will not come off at the wrong time.

billcameron
10-06-2003, 10:06 AM
I am trying to remember. When Anwar Sadat was assassinated didn't his bodyguard draw gun with holster attached?

Gabriel Suarez
10-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Blade-Tech makes an excellent IWB with two "hooks". I have one coming and will let you guys know how it works.

I had a guy in class a few weeks ago with a very interesting, almost invisible concealment holster from Milt Sparks. (It had a Sig P-229 in it:))

I usually hate to wear IWB because an old spinal injury doesn't like them too much. Nonetheless, they are a great way to carry when you need really low profile.

M700
10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
I don't think I'll ever forget drawing my soft suede IWB along with my automatic one night... These days I usually go with just a good strong side belt holster, but when I use an IWB it's a Kramer with strong loops. Lesson learned. Guy