PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with firearms (VHS)

Seppo Vesala
12-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Producer: Paladin press, 1997

Instructor: Andy Stanford

Run time: 1:34

In this film, Andy Stanford addresses some high payoff-points on defensive shooting. What this means is that he does not teach these things, rather he discusses the important aspects of combat shooting, where you can improve most with less amount of work. He reasons that as 10% of techniques accomplish 90% of work, it is reasonable to concentrate on these things.

This film is handgun-oriented, but there is also some discussion of shotguns and rifles, and of course there are also lots of information that is general in nature. The film is divided into several chapters, most of which run about 5 minutes. These issues include (but are not limited to) firearm safety, combat marksmanship, tactics, low light shooting, cloce quarters battle, equipment selection and training.

I like Stanford´s attitude towards teaching: He does not try to force-feed his doctrines to a viewer, rather he tells what he thinks work well. Then he advises the viewer to try the techniques out for himself, and to keep the ones that feel good, and drop the ones that don´t work for you. That gives the impression that he trusts the viewers´ judgement, and that he can justify why he thinks the selected techniques are best, rather than forcing his opinions on the viewer.

The technical quality of film is reasonably good. They have used two cameras in shooting the film, which makes the film somewhat more interesting. The shooting locales vary a bit, and they have also used some props. However, the voice is not as good. There are instances where the wind blows into the microphone, making rasping noises. On some instances, Stanford blocks the mic with his hand, or there is something else blocking the voice. Other than that, the film is of good quality.

The main problem with is that as majority of the film comprises of Stanford lecturing to the camera, the film is not very action oriented. Granted, there are some action sequences, but those are very short and they are used more for flavor than presenting anything new to the subject. The main advantage – perhaps the only major advantage – that film has over written text is that it is far better to present action on film than on paper. Therefore, a film should concentrate on presenting that action rather than just showing someone speaking to the camera. I have nothing against the things Stanford presents in the film, the problem is that with the price of this film, I could have bought 2-3 books, each 150-200 pages long and each containing more stuff than this film. Therefore, the main disadvantage of this film is that is should have been published as a book rather than film.

Seppo Vesala
12-18-2003, 03:58 AM
That would assume that the companies actually care.
I once had a long phone conversation with M. Janich, who is in charge of video produtions for Paladin press, about this.
It was his claim that most Paladin customers do not train.
I recall his exact words were that, "They open a beer, pop in the video, watch it once and then they are ready for close combat."
Such an attitude leads me to believe that video quality and entertainment value are more important to the producers than a film's teaching potential.
Perhaps a true training film would appear too "boring" and not turn enough of a profit?

I´m just wondering, what kind of training film Gabe would make, if he chose to do it? (I hope he can take a hint.)

michael
12-18-2003, 06:38 AM
I´m just wondering, what kind of training film Gabe would make, if he chose to do it? (I hope he can take a hint.)

I hope he can take a HINT HINT HINT to! I would love to see him do some video's.;)