PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pelican M6 flashlight

Seppo Vesala
12-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Pelican M6 flashlight has a striking resemblance to SureFire 6P tactical light, to a such extent that it is very hard to distinguish one from another. The controls are also identical (momentary tailcap end press switch, twisting the tailcap produces a constant light, and if you twist the tailcap to opposite direction, you can lock the tailcap switch so that the light does not activate accidentally). Itīs true that if it ainīt broken, donīt fix it, but one can only wonder why Pelican have chosen to create flashlight that is identical to the main competitorīs product, although they are a profilic company on their own merit. But as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

My old duty backup flashlight was Streamlight Scorpion, but I was somewhat dissatisfied with it (see separate review), so I searched the Internet to find something better. My criteria for tactical flashlight were:

The flashlight should have the following features (or as many of them as possible):
-be about the same size (4,9” long) and weight (4,4 ounces) as Scorpion
-be water and shock resistant
-have a dark, non-reflective surface
-have a tail-cap end switch
-have a ”dead-man” -type momentary switch, and a separate constant switch
-be bright enough (at least 15,000 candelas and/or 50 lumens; the more the better)
-have a smooth beam with no irregularities or dark spots
-the batteries should run for at least 1 hour
-the cost of operating should be low (no expensive spare parts, for example)
-the price should be reasonable (preferably less than $100)

additionally, the following features would be nice:
-it should have an adjustable light beam (or holographic diffuser)
-it would be nice if it had a similar rubber sleeve than some SureFire lights have (”Rogersī ring”)
-it should be shaped to prevent rolling on the ground if dropped

The material is not an issue, as long the flashlight is sturdy enough. Also, the power source is of little importance, but if the flashlight is rechargeable, it would be nice if the battery could be recharged when removed from the flashlight, and if it runs on batteries, it should accept regular batteries (no special battieries that are available only from the manufacturer).

The Pelican M6 fits all the criteria (except for the Rogersīring, but you can manufacture that yourself; see below), so you can guess from that it is a very good light. In comparison to other similar lights, I conducted some very brief field tests. I compared the Pelican to my Scorpion, and I borrowed SureFire 6P and Streamlight Stinger (somewhat bigger, rechargeable light) from my collagues. I tested the brightness of the beam, and throw range. Pelican was a hands-down winner in this test, being markedly brighter than other lights, and having better throw range (I did not test the maximum range, but I was inside a parking carage, and I lighted the back wall of the building some 50-60 yards away, and compared the brightness of the beams).

The bad press: The momentary switch is a bit too stiff. You have to press somewhat hard to activate the light. Itīs not hard to activate the light with your thumb, but if you utilize the Surefire/Rogers flashlight technique, the switch is a bit too stiff. Additionally, the black finish on the surface starts wearing off surprisingly fast on the edges. I donīt consider that a big problem, as the material is not very shiny, but it is an aesthethic flaw. And last, if you adjust the light beam to as wide as possible, there are some dark spots on the beam. But when the beam is tight, those dark spots disappear.

For the money, you get a very well performing light, that is comparable cheap to operate. The batteries last 1 hour 20 minutes (compared to less than 1 hour on SureFire 6P), and the light stays bright for longer, before turning yellow. The replacement bulbs are cheap, whereas on SureFire you have to replace the whole lamp assembly if the bulb breaks. And the cost of Pelican is about half of what you have to pay for SureFire 6P (about $30-40 for the Pelican, and $60-80 for the SureFire).

To sum it up, I would say that Pelican M6 is probably one of the best tactical lights on the market, especially concidering the price.

And finally, the tip of the day: How to construct a Rogersīring on your flashlight.

Take thin rubber tube (I got a broken bicycle inner tube for free from a bike repair shop), and slide it on the body of the flashlight. Now lift the edge of the tube near the front end (learer the lens) of the flashlight, and start peeling the tube back, until you can roll it into a ring. When you are satisfied with the placement and thikness of the ring, attach it with a glue. Note that if you construct the ring, the flashlight does not fit to the holster that you get for free with the Pelican flashlight.

VaughnT
12-15-2003, 03:05 AM
Where do you get the money to buy all this stuff for review? Regardless, I sure do appreciate it as I was looking at the Pelican M6 as a possible replacement/backup for my Surefire 6P.

Any thoughts on the new Streamlight tactical series? They look nice, but I'm waiting to hear what you have to say before shelling out the bucks :D

Have you reviewed the RAID pack from Lightfighter.com yet?

Seppo Vesala
12-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Where do you get the money to buy all this stuff for review? Regardless, I sure do appreciate it as I was looking at the Pelican M6 as a possible replacement/backup for my Surefire 6P.

Yeah, I wonder that also. Actually, as the stuff is work-related, it is eligible for tax deductions (in Finland, at least). So essentially I get it almost free, although I have to "loan" the money for the state until they pay me back the "extra" taxes I have paid during the year.

Any thoughts on the new Streamlight tactical series? They look nice, but I'm waiting to hear what you have to say before shelling out the bucks :D

Have you reviewed the RAID pack from Lightfighter.com yet?

Really, these two flashlights are the only ones I have (so far). For some really good advise on flashlights, I suggest you visit www.candlepowerforums.com

RedDevil
12-15-2003, 06:58 AM
Any idea if the lenses and tail caps are inter-changable with Surefire?

Seppo Vesala
12-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Any idea if the lenses and tail caps are inter-changable with Surefire?

Sorry, canīt help you with that. The flashlights seem identical, so I would guess that they are intercahangable, but Iīm not sure. Why not write Pelican (or Surefire) and ask?

MTS
12-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Sorry, canīt help you with that. The flashlights seem identical, so I would guess that they are intercahangable, but Iīm not sure. Why not write Pelican (or Surefire) and ask?

Company reps sometimes get "touchy" about questions like that, then others are OK with it.

Best thing to do is find one of each and do a little checking on your own.

Then post the results here of course.:)

JerryM
12-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I received my Pelican M6 today, and it was all that I hoped it would be.
It is bright, and well made. I would buy it again. Thanks for the review. That was a factor in my buying it.

I have a SF E2e HA on order. I know what it is.

I also have, on order, two Streamlight TTLs, a 1 and a 2 Lithium battery models. I am hoping that the TT1L is going to be bright enough in the LED and the Xenon modes to suit me. I am sure that the TT2L will be - at least I think so.

Jerry

GlocksterPaulie
12-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I think the M6 is a good light, I like my Surefires a little better. I just sold Four M6s over at GT for $30.00 NIB

Paulie