PDA

View Full Version : Question about Buttstock w/pistol grip

shroud01
05-23-2005, 08:29 PM
I have a Mossberg 590 and am toying with the idea of adding an advanced Tech. Buttstock w/pistol grip. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any other similiar stocks. As well as give me their opinions and observations on this matter.

Thanks,

Kevin

Chuck Burnett
05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
A pistol grip stock makes it awkward to manipulate the tang mounted safety on a Mossberg. Your personal choices about when and if to use the safety dictate the relevance of that issue.
Some brands of PG stocks also make it damned hard to hit the action release, which is a serious issue.
Some shooters feel the pistol grip gives them better control of the gun during manipulations and aids in keeping the stock tight in the pocket.
It also seems to help keep the firing side elbow tucked tight to minimize your exposure when "pieing".

Pistol grips, IMHO, are a disadvantage in retention or "beat him down with your malfunctioned gun" situations.

Shooters with a lot of time on ARs or other pistol gripped long guns seem to favor the pistol grip stocks; others, like me, who have worked primarily with standard stocks prefer standard stocks.

I see good and bad shooters with each type so I think it's more about personal preference than any quantifiable hard and fast advantage either way.

Proper length of pull is a bigger issue than type of stock.

YMMV

Chuck

georgel
05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
+1 on what Chuck said.
Maverick models have the safety on the trigger guard like 870's and are more suited for the PG if you have to have one.

I prefer standard stocks on a shotgun.

michael
05-24-2005, 06:28 AM
+2 to what Chuck said. I've never been a fan of pistol grip stocks on a SG and don't see the need for them.

Paul Sharp
05-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Agreed with Chuck's post with another addition.

Based on how you reload, I primarily reload with my right hand, the pistol grip gets in the way.

Cincinnatus
05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Agree w/ the above, but would add, FWIW, that the pistol grip is far more comfortable for holding the weapon when "aiming in" or covering a suspect/ BG/ target.

Peacefulwarrior
05-24-2005, 01:41 PM
I use one on my 870 (don't know if I would on a Mossy because of the safety) and I find that the PG helps in controlling the weapon with one hand while searching and reloading etc.

Chuck Burnett
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey Chuck, you ought to teach a SG course! :D
Ya think?
Don't they like, kick really hard and stuff? :D

Chuck

Geezer
05-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Chuck Burnett posted: "Proper length of pull is a bigger issue than type of stock."

+1,+2,+3,+4,+5,+6,+7 .....

Chuck and I both belong to the "Gunsmith, we don't need no stinkin' gunsmith, we got chainsaws." school of stock modification. :D

Every 1/4 inch I chop off the stock of whatever decreases my groups by a related amount.

The factory-issue length of a stock on a long gun is determined by aesthetics, and the desire to sell many of them because they look pretty, and balanced. Whether or not you can hit the broad side of a barn with one is irrelevant.

Chuck, I disagree with Roger. You shouln't get into teaching SG classes. I love you, but you are the kind of guy that would let the students have a mad minute at the end of the day, and we know that is really not very proper. :rolleyes:

God bless and y'all be mindful out there.

fatdog
05-25-2005, 07:09 AM
+12, or whatever number I am on LOP being the key

I don't like the pistol grip versions because they seem to beat up my hand during the course of long shooting sessions and I shoot my shotguns a lot. I think its easier to get a consistent mount without one but that may just be me.

Sheepdog
05-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Pistol grip stocks also limit you to a low ready when not engaging. When in most situations, because of their barrel length, you want a shotgun at a high ready, espeacially in close quarters where a BG could push your barrel down. A high ready for the shotgun is also handy in open areas, with your muzzle right at, or just below your line of sight. With a standard stock you have more control, and can aquire your target faster.

shroud01
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
:) Appreciate all the feedback you guys have given, several points were brought up that I had not considered. Seems I will probably save my money and use it on ammo or something of the sort.