PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 questions

Jackjumperfish
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I have a Mossberg 590 and I'm trying to find a good 3" mag 00 buck shotshell that keeps a pretty tight patten out to about 50 yards. Can anyone recommend a couple of good brands? I figure I'll buy a couple of different boxes and see which one stays the most consistant with what I need it for. What I'd really like is for it to give a patten of all fifteen pellets the size of half a chest at 25 yards. I'm pretty sure we're talking about buying a good choke to go with these shells. Any suggestions on where I can buy a good choke that will fit a 590? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Sam Spade
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I think you're dreaming.

"half the size of the chest" or about 6" at 25 yards? And by extention, 12" magnum patterns at 50 yards? I have never heard of any magnum load that approaches this, and standard loads only get there through flukes of nature. While it's easy to do better than the "one inch spread per yard" rule of thumb, I think you're asking too much.

michael
05-23-2005, 06:07 PM
You won't find it, certainly not in a stock gun. I'm not sure how tightly the vang comp will group at 50 yards, but it sounds like you need a rifle, not a shotgun. A shotgun is for very up close encounters of the worst kind and is not a substitue for a good rifle.

MTS
05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
If you need that tight a grouping @50 yards you probably will need slugs.

ajax
05-23-2005, 07:21 PM
I have a Mossberg 590 and I'm trying to find a good 3" mag 00 buck shotshell that keeps a pretty tight patten out to about 50 yards. Can anyone recommend a couple of good brands? I figure I'll buy a couple of different boxes and see which one stays the most consistant with what I need it for. What I'd really like is for it to give a patten of all fifteen pellets the size of half a chest at 25 yards. I'm pretty sure we're talking about buying a good choke to go with these shells. Any suggestions on where I can buy a good choke that will fit a 590? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Won't happen w/ any type of shot. Vang worked on my 590 and it will do ~12 @ 25yds (federal or Remington Tactical (9 pellet). At your range use slugs and get Vang to work on your 590. also there are no chokes for the typical 590 barrel.

michael
05-24-2005, 06:29 AM
My question would be "why would you want to do that to your shotgun?"

That goes against everything that a SG was built for. Speed, expanding conical pattern, multiply wound channels, and the ability to make good combat hits in less that ideal situations (low light, dynamic movement.)

+1 to that. My sentiments exactly.

JJackson
05-25-2005, 11:32 PM
My question would be "why would you want to do that to your shotgun?"

That goes against everything that a SG was built for. Speed, expanding conical pattern, multiple wound channels, and the ability to make good combat hits in less that ideal situations (low light, dynamic movement.)

+1 again...

I have a Vang Comp 590...Love it.Very relaible and durable...But it's just a shotgun...IMHO you're talking carbine here.

Jamie

Diesel
05-30-2005, 11:39 PM
You need slugs for what you are asking.

Now, here's another thought for you, variety loading. :eek:

I know this will probably have a lot of guys going ballistic (pun intended), but you might want to think about this.

Load you shotgun so you have a firing sequence of buckshot/slug/buckshot/slug/buckshot/slug etc until your mag is full. This technique has be taught from time to time in Police and Military circles. If I'm loading for defense in unknown territory (or the bush) this is how I load. I also carry spares of each along with a bit of bird shot "just in case".