PDA

View Full Version : RMR on Glock 40's

jdub
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
How are the RMRs holding up on the .40 Glocks- G22/23/27? Does anyone have a high round count through one? I've been thinking about an RMR on a G19 or G23, but I'm not sure if he heavier recoil of the .40 will be hard on the RMR. Thanks.

Grey Man
12-03-2010, 02:29 PM
the RMR is recoil rated for rifles and shotguns I doubt a 40 caliber handguns going to affect it

yoni
12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I just watched a guy take a Cape Buffalo with a double rifle that had a RMR on it, so a .40 is really nothing compared to this.

MTS
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
How are the RMRs holding up on the .40 Glocks- G22/23/27? Does anyone have a high round count through one? I've been thinking about an RMR on a G19 or G23, but I'm not sure if he heavier recoil of the .40 will be hard on the RMR. Thanks.

No failures reported to date with over a dozen in service.

abinok
12-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Im pretty sure that a sight mounted on the slide of a Glock will see more violent actions at both ends of the cycle than could ever be seen in a shoulder fired rifle of any caliber... but none of that changes the fact that thats what little sights like the RMR were designed for, and they survive just fine.

DiamondD
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I plan to change out batteries in my RMRs and Aimpoints on Jan first every year anyway.

jdub
12-03-2010, 10:12 PM
No failures reported to date with over a dozen in service.

That's good news. :cool: I would like to see if anyone has put their G22/23/27 RMR through the ringer yet.

abinok
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I plan to change out batteries in my RMRs and Aimpoints on Jan first every year anyway.

Granted, I am running a fastfire II, and dr optic micro red dots, not RMRs, but my glock mounted dot has been on since it was mounted in 2008...

I plan to change it every time I vote for president. anything aimpoint makes can o the same length of time without battery changes.

Mac10
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Not "through the wringer" yet, but I've put 700+ through my RMR'd 23 in two outings. I'm using the LW slide on a Gen4 frame and barrel. After the first session of 300 rounds, I was able to get 1/4 turn on the mounting screws. I was advised by TSD that there was a questionable batch of thread locker, and I probably got some of it. The screws stayed tight through the second session of 400+ rounds, but I am keeping an eye on them with new thread locker handy.

I have had no problems with change in zero. Most of the ammo used have been my reloads, which are 180g copper plated slugs at around 950 fps. I burned through 150 rounds of 180g HST because I am in an ammo rotation, so I got a little OEM recoil under it's belt.

700 rounds is not a thorough testing, for sure, but it's what I have to offer.

JustMe
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Seems to me the folks around here have enough mechanical intuition that I figured I'd do some digging that I'd wanted to do but never made the time for it.

How exactly do Red Dots work?

That should give a good sense to how "sensitive they are". These days patents almost allways explain how stuff works. :)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5483362.pdf

So my read is a "hologram" of a dot is "recorded" into the "film" / window. That window is made thick for durability and to launch the monocramatic (single color) light into it to cuase the hologram to be viewable. The angle if incidence of the light onto the window would be critical but not that critical, the dot would just move off a tiny bit.

Bottom line, is the little glass tubes in a modern night site can survive for a decade, and so seems trivial to make RMR's survive. Optics and the self illumination system.

That only leaves left electronics, which do not like vibrations, the solder joints tend to shear (primary reason your "old" electronics fail). Needless to say, military equipment is far more complex than these things, so Trijicon (or whatever brand) must use full mil spec (not commercial) design and manufacturing processes to ensure reliability - That's just a cost issue. From there you validate by sticking a few articles into a test setup and shake/pound the crap out of them at greatly elevated G's over the intended application - Again, "just" a cost issue really. One typical way to do all this is "potting" (fill with epoxy) everything to insure no parts can move relative to others, stress are more uniformly distributed.

I dunno if any given manufacturer's device is or is not reliable, but sure seems like the basic knowledge of how to make a reliable device has existed for some time and would thus be available for those wanting to pay for it.

FWIW

Sam Mayes
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
1500+ through my g27. No drift in zero. Everything is still tight as a um never mind. Anyway love it. Also on a lonewolf slide with no buis ( mistake. Get buis). Run it with a conversion barrel too. Still flawless. Looking at getting my 19's and 22 23's done too. We need a quick detach to switch rmrs to diff pistols. I am not buyin rm.'s for all my glocks

Sam

JustMe
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
We need a quick detach to switch rmrs to diff pistols.

Would'nt you have to re-zero?

Mickey Rourke
12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Would'nt you have to re-zero?If you have BUIS it would be very easy.

Sam Mayes
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't mind rezeroing. I'd just like to be able to move from one to the other easily.

jdub
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
1500+ through my g27. No drift in zero. Everything is still tight as a um never mind. Anyway love it. Also on a lonewolf slide with no buis ( mistake. Get buis). Run it with a conversion barrel too. Still flawless. Looking at getting my 19's and 22 23's done too. We need a quick detach to switch rmrs to diff pistols. I am not buyin rm.'s for all my glocks

Sam

Thanks for the info. 1500 on a G27 is a good start. mac10's 700 isn't bad either.

I would be interested in an update sometime in the future. In a couple months I'm going to purchase an RMR. It'll likely be on a G19 or G23 slide. But maybe I'll put one on a G26 or G27 slide....

Red Ryder
12-06-2010, 11:31 PM
I had OST mill my G22 for an RMR and install BUIS a couple of months ago.
Only a couple of hundred rounds through it so far, no problems and amazing improvement in practical accuracy.

I recommend starting with a Glock 22 slide in .40 as you can buy barrels in 9mm and .357 SIG.
Got the 9mm threaded at OST when I was there training and found a .357 SIG version this weekend.
I have also run the slide with a Glock 35 barrel for greater muzzle velocity.
I think a 5" .357 SIG barrel in a Model 22 slide would be about perfect for long range shooting, as there is no need for a longer slide for sight alignment with the RMR. Once you see what you can do at long range with this set up, the flatter shooting rounds will become desirable.
An RMR on a Glock 20 in 10mm seems inevitable for me.....

Warrior55
12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with AIM Sports brand red/green dot sights? They are significantly less expensive than Trijicon RMR sights (59.95 vs several hundred dollars).

I need a green dot sight and the AIM sight is selectable red or green.

Please let me know before I waste $60.00 trying to save bigger bucks.

abinok
12-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Warrior45:

If youre looking at an entry level rds setup for carry use, I would start with the Primary arms green dot for $75. The owner will warranty them for slide mounted use, and they will fit on any base for the dr optic/burris fastfire optics. I run a FastfireII myself, and have been very pleased with it.